Don De Dieu | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 12-06-2000

Reviews: 1,291 | Ratings: 2,829
4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Two years ago, I would have turned by nose and mouth away from a Don de Diue. Now, in this post-Pop the Cap, 250+review pallette, this one is a great example of the style. Clean and fresh, this one sparkles in the mouth, gives only a slight hint of its alcohol content, and retains just the slightest head and bit of carbonation to make it welcoming from first sip to last. Only $2.50 a bottle at the local gas station of all places, this one is a great introduction to those just trying this style or high gravity beers. Another great brew from Unibroue.

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

Short lived thin white head ... or a dirty beer glass, This pale gold brew has the odd floaty from this lightly sedimented brew Carbonation is initially very intense . Fruity, funky nose typical of this style. Taste is sweet pale malts, with fruity ale yeast and a short spicy hop finish. Mouth feel is smooth and light with tingly carbonation at first, though this fades as the brew warms. Very drinkable brew. Hides the 9% alcohol well!

4.46/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle poured into my Corsendonk tulip.

Appearance: Probably the best friggin appearance I've ever seen (and I'm serious). Bubbles on a rollercoaster, going left, right, up down. Huge head that's being pushed up by the bubbles that are clamoring to get the hell out of the glass. Can I please give this a 7? One of the most active, colorful, beautiful works of art I've seen, and I just called the appearance for a beer a work of art. That alone is at least worth a 5 in giving it a score.

Smell: Lots of alcohol at first, and it's a bit overpowering. Then comes some thick yeast, faint hints of pineapple and pear, and some citrus zest at the end. Also some faint hints of candi sugar.

Taste: Where is this pineapple coming from? I don't know if I've ever tasted it in a beer before. Also some apricot, some slight cherries, and some lemon, as far as fruit goes. Some sweet malt and candi sugar also. Finishes sweet, then turns quickly to finishing dry and yeasty. Also, now I'm getting some spice like cinnamon and clove. Awesome.

Mouthfeel: For the insane amount of carbonation the mouthfeel is extremely rich, creamy, and silky. The sugar adds a significant amount of body, but goddamn is it well done. For me it couldn't get better.

Drinkability: Unibroue continues to produce amazing stuff, and this is no exception. This bottle is out of the 4-pack I just purchased, which means there are 3 bottles left, and you know what that means. I'd certainly more than recommend this.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

This is a special beer for me. It is my first belgian. My first beer that I consider exotic. It is an opaque orange to straw color. Has a white head with good retention and decent lacing. Tons and tons of carbonartion floading up out of it. This beer smells good. As soon as I open the bottle the grassy aroma hits me. It is sweet and delicious in smell-slightly fruity. When I drink this, it has tons of flavor. It has that grassy smell, it is slightly sweeter than I would expect, but it is delicious. I just cannot identify the fruity flavor, slightly citrus, slighltly spiced, and slightly like musk mellon. The beer is light to medium bodied and dry. It has no alcohol taste, but great alcohol warming. Not something I can hammer down, but not something I get tired of quickly either.

2.65/5  rDev -35.8%

Beer poured a very pale straw color with a tiny head that dissapeared immediately. Head seemed light and wispy, like a corn beer. No lacing. No other carbonation to speak of.

Smell was very unassuming. Yeasty and sweet.

Taste was pretty sweet. Almost syrupy. Alcohol wasnt very pronounced which was a saving grace with this beer. Very sweet.

Sticky mouthfeel. If this was a blind taste test, the looks and tastes of this beer seemed similar to any macro like Icehouse or one of those sweet beers. My fourth Unibroue, and definitely the worst of the four.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Prominent dense and creamy head, perfectly velvety and everlasting. It is so beautiful that I don't even want to look at the body, which is just "normal", golden and slightly hazy. The smell is very enjoyable too, with a gret perfume of yeast, which develops notes of coriander, pepper, cinammon and sour cream. Broad and sweet nose. Some fermenting peaches and apples completed the nice picture painted.
The taste disappointed me. Or maybe I should have drunk something else before. It seemed so alcoholic, warm and overwhelming. Sure, apples, peaches, yeasty sour cream and peppery notes, a round creamy mouthfeel thanks to this marvelous head, but this overwhelming and somehow unbalanced alcohol feeling.
Yeasty like a weizen, dry like a triple. but with too much alcohol for me...
what to say?

BB 11-15-07. Good white head and a very foggy pale golden colored beer. Nose is (buck)wheat, alcoholic and yeast phenolic. Strawberry fruithint and overal interesting nose. Tste is strongly alcoholic, dry but with sweet candyhint. Yes this is a lot like a good Belgium beer and has fine mouthfeel with good taste, well dosed but not to high bitterness and good carbonisation. Fine brew that I enjoyed all the way.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm trying to get myself into the Belgian game, it's a little difficult because I really don't know what is what, how to even pronounce these beers and they're all a bit pricey so it's hard for me to break down and get a bottle.

I picked the Don De Dieu for no reason one night and I consider myself pretty lucky, this one was really good.

After I removed the cork, poured a bright, hazy, golden yello. Nice frothy white head. Fizzy lacing.

Smells really good, I smell banana, coriander, yeast, and some other spices I really can't put my finger on. Reminds me of a hefeweizen.

Very nice beer. It had a very light fizzy texture, fruity and spicy. Lots of yeast. Crisp and refreshing.

Very light finish, I couldn't taste the alcohol content, but I cool feel a slight head change after one glass.

I really liked it, After this bottle I will experiment with more belgians.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

Very hazy rusty golden color- loads of white head screaming to stick around forever- and then disappates far, far too quickly.

Smell is champagne- like- lightly sweet, floral. Fruity and a tich spicey. A lot going on. Tastes champagney, as well. Spicey, fruity, sweet- nutmeg, pepper, some lemon, some peach, malty and barely bready at the end. A lot of flavors that blend well.

Mouthfeel is carbonated feeling and slightly slick near the end. Ultimately, a tasty brew. And at 9 %... a sneaky one. Unibroue makes me a happy beer drinking lady.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce brown glass bottle poured into Duvel Tulip.

A - A pale orange that approaches a golden color. It looks the color grapefruit juice with a two finger foamy white head. Lots of tiny bubbles feeding the head.

S - Belgian yeast along with some fruitiness. I think I want to say a citrusy smell, like grapefruit perhaps.

T - A very nice taste. A bit of a spiciness with a minimal hop taste that's just right for this beer's flavor. Slightly spicy/peppery. A dry beer with no aftertaste at all to speak of.

M - Very nice, a good amount of carbonation with a smooth touch on the tongue.

D - Very good. Goes down smooth and leaves you wanting more.

Notes: Overall this is probably the least favorite of the Unibroues I've tried so far. Of course it's still better than the vast majority of other beers I've tasted in my life, I just prefer their more flavorful offerings that I've tried. However I'll definitely never complain about drinking this one.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

Well this is truley a great tasting Belgian Strong Pale Ale.
Color was a pale golden color with a slight haze. Nice thick frothy head that was developing like a cumulus cloud on a hot summer day. If you know what that looks like. The smell was just what I thought from this style beer. A fruity and floral like scent, a nice balance. Not overpowering very subtle and pleasant. Tatste was spicy at first with a slight citrus zing. A nice dry aftertaste rounds out this well balanced and not so overpowering beer. The ABV is powerfull but you cant taste it. Its an amazingly smooth beer.

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%

Purchased at Beltway here in Baltimore as a 12 oz. offering. Haven't seen this one mixed up with the various Unibroue offerings in the state, and I hadn't had it yet. The familiar great labeling and foil top. Best by April 2008 clearly ink jet labeled on the back.

Beautiful orange tinged peach with slight haze. Erupting, tight white head with long staying power and excellent lacing along my Unibroue tulip glass. Aromas are of citrus and yeast.

Very light and dry citrus flavored beer. I believe that you could wait for the head to die down and then serve it as white wine at parties. Very light hints of lemon, bananas and cloves from the yeast, yet muted.

Smooth and tart mouthfeel with excellent light body from the carbonation. High ABV is hidden. Dangerously drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a real hazy golden orange, big white head forms, laces well and has some nice legs. Smell is sweet, orange peel and coriander, some spicy hops, very nice. Taste is sweet honey like malt, orange peel and coriander again, some yeast and bread. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation. Smooth beer and great orange peel flavour, one of Unibroues best.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer poured into the chalice hazy pale orange amber (light tea color) with a light and wispy head which fell in an instand to the edges of the surface of the liquid.

The aroma was fruity and bready with a nice citrusy component. The aroma became bread and orange peel as the beer warmed and was slightly earthy in nature. A light candy sweetness resided just behind the other aromatics.

The flavor was crisp with a nice carbonation bite followed by a sweetness from malt that was cut quickly with a nice Belgian yeast spice and a light citrusy flavor. The beer was slightly earthy and nice to consume.

The finish was dry with a lasting yet slight earthiness and peppery spice. The body was medium and the carbonation rounded out the flavor. A nice brew, some alcohol warming after consumption, but no overpowering alcohol aromas nor flavors.

12 ounce bottle. Code on back 050814. My 1000th consecutive review, but not the 1000th different beer review.

3.89/5  rDev -5.8%

This brew pours a clear golden orange color with a small white head that disappears within seconds. The aroma is of orange peel with a trace of alcohol. The taste is nice. Orange and spices. The mouthfeel is overcarbonated and gets in the way of the taste. Overall, this is a decent brew, but I would choose La Fin Du Monde over it anyday.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear light beer with white creamy head. Citrus aroma, maybe a little phenolic, but lemons dominate.

Banana flavor, lightly balanced with malt and yeasty, ripe lemons makes this a tasty brew.

Extremely well balanced with a clean finish. Easy drinking, strong and alcoholic. Dangerous combination.

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a murky orange color with big fizzy head the tells of the high levels of carbonation. A constant stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom makes it look champagne-esque.... of only the color was right =P

HUGE nose... lots of banana, fruit, and grainy wheat. Almost smells.... dry.... if that makes any sense.... guess its the wheat? dunno.

Taste: I dont know if its just me.... could be.... but this tastes an awful lot like La Fin IMO. There are obviously some differences... a bit more wheatiness in this one, and not as much of a punch, but still... alot of the same characteristics. Good thing is... a find La Fin to be quite enjoyable, so this gets two thumbs up in my book.

Mouthfeel is thick and active at the same time, as the carbonation dances across the tongue.

Pretty damn drinkable... wishin I wouldve bought the 750ml instead of the 12oz, but hell, there were so many other beers I wanted to sample, and just didn't have the cash on me :(

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Since this is a wheat beer, I went ahead and poured the sediment in as I would with a wit. In my Allagash glass, it came out a murky orange with whitish edges, topped by a massive bleach-white head that settles to a good drinking level. Not too big, not too small.

Wow! This literally smells like a hot bowl of oatmeal with vanilla. Wheat too. I'm very impressed by the aroma. Hints of the classic Unibroue yeast spiciness in the background. A bit fruity as well.

Very interesting on the palate as well. A light citrus fruitiness (not to be confused with citrusy hop character, more like biting into a tangerine) is what I notice first. Good bit of clove and some other yeast spice subtleties all around. Great wheat malt character, especially in the middle. I'm fairly sure they didn't use oats in this, but it hits me as a little oaty. Subtle hops play cheerfully upon the tongue in unison with the yeast spices. Maybe a little pepper. Finishes with a pleasant bitterness with some fruitiness.

Great creaminess in the mouthfeel. Makes the tongue tingle, which balances the creaminess very well.

Another very impressive and unique offering from Unibroue. What would you call this, a Triple Wit? This certainly could become my favorite Unibroue beer. Insanely drinkable, it hides its 9% very well, as most Unibroue beers do. Now that it's available here in NC, I'm definitely stocking up on this. I can imagine having a good creamy cheese with this that's a little on the sharp side. In fact, I may just do so right now as I finish this gem.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%

Another winner from Unibroue. Pours out to a nice cloudy golden color with a white cloud like head. No traces of lace around the glass. High level of carbonation. Aromas of fruits, sweetness and floral hints are abound in this well crafted beer. The taste is utterly superb. Near perfect. Flavors of sweet fruit, with a smooth tartness and elements of a dry finish are all well balanced here. Some mild hop character is also noted. Very nice. Smooth and almost champagne like mouthfeel. This brew has high drinkability, as the flavors and complexity of this beer mask the 9% ABV very well. Highly Recommended.

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

I was excited to find this brew in our liquor store. They usually stock the usual chimay, duvel etc so for this location it was a find.

Poured into a chalice a golden/light orange color. spritzy light white head that basically surrenders. No further sightings. Unfortunately, to be consistent with other rankings I'd have to say the appearance is rather lackluster and drags down an otherwise solid brew.

Tasted sweet up front. Orange's, warming, Malt. Zippy carbonation that compliments a sour/fruity middle. Wheat/earthy finish and some citrus. Vanilla, with a spiced backer is really the essence of the brew.

Nice combination. the sour notes sit for a while and escelates as it warms. Recomended.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured a cloudy golden orange color with a just a touch of light colored head, and tons of carbonation running through the beer.

Smell was full of sweet and sour citrus notes with some yeast and wheat odors as well.

Taste had a very nice toasty maltyness to it along with some nice sublte melon flavors and some nice spices coming through as well, a bit of pepper and almost taste like just the smallest hint of mint as well.

Mouthfeel was crisp and dry with a touch of nice carbonation tinglyness.

Drinkability is great on this beer, another Unibroue Winner!

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Soft, hazy peach colour with a decent head and good lace. A comfortable looking beer.

Fruity, sweet, malty nose with maybe a hint of carmel. Yeast and spice. Interesting and unusual. Somewhat mild.

Very fruity, citrusy beer. Sweet and sour on the palate. Nice notes from yeast. Interesting, tasty.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Served at the Michigan house Cafe/Red Jacket Brewpub in Calumet MI in nearly the perfect tulip, very close to the image on the bottle.

Thick creamy head climbs high up the tulip and retains very long. Golden-tan wheat cololr with very prominent bubbles.

Slightly sour sweet smell.

Tastes sweet with very slight sour and (not so slight) alcohol flavors mingling very well with definite wheaty malt flavor.

Lots of carbonation and a mid-light body make a very refeshing brew.

I would love to drink these all day long, but it would be VERY short day due to the alcohol.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Wow, much of what I'd expect to find in a Belgian Tripel, but with much more malt character. Looks nicely copper; what you'd find in any other pale ale, just with more carbonation and looser head. Aromas are malty sweet, toasty, bready, yeasty, earthy, mildly hoppy, and spicy. You can really taste the malt. Like and all-malt Tripel. Less of a powdered sugar flavors and more malt character, more toastedness and roastedness. Not the sharp spiciness either. Milder spices from an agressive hop bill. Nicely bittered. Still grapefruity, lemony, orange-ey. Finishes alcoholic and dry, with a touch of a lingering sweetness. This is a good beer.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Corked 750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. The beer was a hazy golden orange color and had a small foamy head of large bubbles. The head did shrink away rather quickly, but there was still lots of carbonation and bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Didn't leave any lacing to speak of. The complex aroma was a mix smells - sour fruits, green apple, pears, and the citrusy yeast.
The taste is similar to the smell. There were flavors of more citrus, orange and pineapple, with some sweetness mixed with the sour yeast. Reminded me of a strong witbier. The high alcohol warms in the stomach, but is well balanced and hidden beneath all the flavor. The mouthfeel is nice, a mix of the warm alcohol and tingling refreshing carbonation. Would be great with a fine meal or as an after dinner drink.

Don De Dieu from Unibroue