Don De Dieu | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 2,899 |  Reviews: 1,315

4.48/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best by 1-30-2016. Enjoyed 5-2013.

Pours a light, slightly hazy sunlight-golden with tightly laced foam.

The aroma is lightly floral, with a touch of pollen and that distinctive Unibroue house yeast character holding court. The flavor definitely lets you know it’s a Unibroue beer, with their yeast contributing that floral-ester character familiar from their line up, but there’s also a wheated ‘tang’ that gives just a kiss of tartness and a well-rounded smoothness to the finish. A Belgian wheat ale? It won’t replace my love for some of their other beers but this was a fun one to try.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

So, here I am, outside. It's a beautiful night,no clouds....complete Star field. Bit of the glow from the airport in East Granby,Connecticut.
I am outside because my landlord switched our electrical service to save us money. What she forgot to do was find out where the bill gets paid.
All that aside,it's almost midnight.
I detoured around a DUI checkpoint, although I only had one Guinness at the neighborhood bar near the laundromat. I have a battery powered lantern, my beach chair, a carrot cake that my mother made, and a Unibrow sampler.
I went for the Don De Dieu, as I had never had it before.
Out of a tulip glass from the Coachlight dinner theater in East Windsor,Connecticut now defunct.
This beer surprises me. I wonder, should I have poured all of that yeast into the glass?
No matter, as it's at the bottom and the carbonation is still flowing. I believe that the trees and I are going to have a very fun night.
This beer is wonderful, and the perfect way to rough it. The bright white from my lantern is really showing off how beautiful the beer is!
I love the fruity flavor, and the tang on my tongue upon the finí.
May there be a Belgian in my hand when I get mauled by a bear later tonight. The carrot cake goes really well with this.
I'm about to consult Mary Jane, and see what she thinks of this whole development. I'm sure she would approve, but I'll never know, until tomorrow when I wake up.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Unibroue Don de Dieu

Appearance: Unibroue’s Belgian strong pale ale pours a very cloudy, warm-looking golden color that is quite typical of Belgian pale ales. There are evident yeast particles throughout the beverage and the carbonation is out of this world. The head is a gorgeous, pure, newly fallen snow-white, and has ridiculous retention and size at over four fingers. The lacing is surprisingly average and spotty for a Unibroue beer. This is a good-looking beer, but it is definitely the least attractive of the four beers that came in the sampler pack.

Aroma: Typical Unibroue spicy, bready yeast is at the forefront along with some nice yet mild citrus, green apple, and pear notes, there may even be some very mild pineapple here. Sweet malts, wheat malts, and a great creaminess come off the nose as well. All in all, however, there really is not very much aroma. One really has to do some serious sniffing to get anything out of this beer beyond the initial yeast. What’s there is good, but the effort involved in discerning out the notes, while rewarding, is obnoxious.

Taste: Right up front is a battle between sweetness, tartness, and a mild citrus bitterness. The alcohol, surprisingly, comes through quite strongly in the taste, further cutting the malty and candi-sugar sweetness. The tartness persists throughout the taste in the form of grapes, red wine, and slight cherries. The wheat (and banana esters) is definitely present, and, of course, the yeast is there in a coriander and clove spiciness and a very clear breadiness. This is probably the least sweet of Unibroue’s big four due to the relatively strong tartness and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is very, very prominent, which contributes to the refreshing quality of the beer. Here, again, the alcohol is very present and creates nice warming quality. The beer is very dry in the back end, not unlike red wine, which also makes this beer quite drinkable. The body is medium and creamy, and the tartness gives a mild astringency that hangs around the mouth for the duration of the bottle.

Overall: This is quite reminiscent of La Fin du Monde, but is certainly different. There is a lot more tartness and bitterness here than in that beer, but many of the same notes are there. While it is very drinkable and very refreshing, the balance is a little off and the ABV is a little high at 9%. This was my least favorite of the variety pack, and is not one I will probably purchase in the future. Still, it is good for its style. 15/20

Don De Dieu from Unibroue