Don De Dieu | Unibroue

4.15/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,889 |  Reviews: 1,312
4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

The Don de Dieu poured a golden hue with a quickly dissipating 1 finger foam head. It had the center spring from middle of glass.

The aroma was of apples and spice. The taste a wheat malt with a fruity finish. Mouthfeel was crisp and left a nice apple taste in the back of your throat. Overall a wonderful BSPA.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Cloudy orange with a pretty solid head of foam that seems to dissipate a bit too quickly. Nose is yeasty, spicy Belgianness, and syrupy, bready Belgian waffles. Also hints of vanilla and cream. Ouch. A bit sharp on the tongue. First impression is a bit of creamsicle with bite. Neither sweet nor style with a little bit of up-front acidity and a touch of astringency as well. Alcohol is very well hidden. Fairly complex with a bunch of tiny flavours I can't seem to get a handle on. The big ones though, are some orange and a chalky earthiness. Not bad drinkability for a big beer.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured to my Chimay goblet, yes I know that the back of the bottle recommends a tulip...
Yellow-orange color, a touch cloudy. Good head then fades.
A- very yeasty, some sweet lemon candy aromas, not sharp citrus, but sweet. A bit musty, with soem dry grassy notes.
Mouthfeel-sweet and I get some wheat malt flavors that are quite tasty with the yeast here. Not too rich, finishes with a little tartness on the palate. A swirl and froth on the palate gets the alcohol to come out, which for 9% is well-hidden. Nothing spectacular, but I have had three of their brews lately for the first time and I enjoy the bottle conditioned flavors of all so far.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Clear golden/orange pour with an attractive fine head.
Aromas are the typical Unibroue doughy yeast, some very faint pears and apples and some soapy/wheaty notes.
Flavours are somewhat interesting with vanilla, spices, lemon, more doughy yeast and a hint of sharp lemon. A bit too sweet though, which, when combined with the soapiness, becomes almost cloying.
High carbonation, but not over the top.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Duvel tulip. Best by date of Mar 2011. It was a hazy golden honey color. Tons of carbonation from the laser etched D on the bottom of the glass. Sliding lace. I did a slowish pour so only a small white head that quickly settled to a collar. The carb geyser fed a constant center foam.

The aroma was excellent. Fruity sweet and spicy with I believe clove. Great balance and a pleasure to sniff. Love the spices in it. The taste was also exceptional. Starts out with the sweet base and then finishes with the spices. A slightly dry finish to offset the sweet. Goes down too smooth for a 9% ABV. The alcohol never really shows in the aroma or the taste.

Overall, an excellent beer that I highly recommend. Been several years since I'd had this one and so glad I tried it again as I've grown into the style and can appreciate more than I remember. Good for a couple times a year in the rotation.

[2-3x]

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a cloudy golden orange with a 1 finger fizzy head that dissipated and left nothing.

Smell was light peach, coriander, apricot with a faint alcohol scent.

Taste was slight of the fruits I smelled with a wheaty coriander flavor. A bit too overcarbonated for me at the beginning but as you drink it it smooths out. One of the better Unibrou beers I've had.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml

A big thank you goes out to russpowell for this brew, thanks Russ! Don de Dieu has a surprisingly clear, straw golden body with tiny carbonation bubbles exploding to the surface. The head grew to two fingers of loosely packed bubbles that quickly fizzle out to a thin head and moderate collar. Intricate, although thin, lacing sticks to the glass after each drink.

I'm not sure if Unibroue uses spice in this beer but I am sure that as soon as I stick my nose in the glass I'm smacked by copious amounts of coriander. This beer is a coriander bomb like I've never come across and I have to admit, I'm digging it. Sugar cookie malts, white pepper spice, and green apple all come along...after the coriander of course.

The flavor doesn't quite reach the aromas standards but it's not far enough off to dock points. Coriander still leads the way but the sugar cookie sweetness makes a larger appearance with a note of caramel here and there. Green apple comes along mid-palate with the usual Unibroue spiciness. The coriander pops on the finish and is incredibly vibrant with all the other characteristics falling to the background but keeping the complexity in place.

The carbonation is lacking when compared to the best of the style and could use a touch more liveliness. Of course this is just me being picky. The body is moderate and the carbonation light with a pretty substantial dryness on the swallow.

If the carbonation had the liveliness I'd like the drinkability would be ridiculously high, as it is, it's merely good. Although, I could drink this all night with no problem besides public drunkenness.

Don de Dieu is my favorite from Unibroue yet, although I haven't sampled a great deal. That coriander note really does me right. Thanks for the bottle Russ, this is some good beer!

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with one finger of foamy white head.

Scent of candi sugar, light fruit, yeast, and clove. Light considering the strength, alcohol is masked well.

Taste of clove, sugars, malts, and yeast. A little too sweet, not great, but still above average.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with heavy carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Bright and golden color with huge voluminous head. Nice and inviting.

Apples, cinnamon, coriander, and pears in the nose. Very Duvel-esque.

Starts with sweet apple and pear flavors then moves into asprin like flavors. The finish is spicy and beautifully dry. Bitterness is assertive but hardly aggressive. The alcohol certainly makes itself known. Think of this as a rich Strong Golden.

Mouthfeel is prickly and actually a little full for a Belgian. Nice beer for sure, I think a little less ABV would make this beer phenomenal.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

A lightly spiced cocktail of fruits on the palate--not to be confused with canned fruit cocktail. Apricots, pears, mangoes, a hint of cherry, a touch of clove, a faint sensation of nutmeg. A bit sweet for some tastes and probably a shock to someone expecting something Germanic. It reminded me of Renaissance cuisine--sweet, fruity, spicy, and tasty.

The nose gave little hint of what would follow and the head didn't stick around long enough.

Only faint hints of alcohol and esters in the aftertaste gave away the 9% ABV of this amazingly smooth ale. Teenage girls should drink this well-named brew instead of Boone's Farm.

So, for that matter, should everyone. The world would be a better place.

Poured from a bottle into a slightly oversized wine glass.

2.54/5  rDev -38.8%

Appearance is pale and mucky yellow with a light head that does not last particularly long.

Smell is a bit yeasty with a touch of citrus and mango and other light fruits. Average at best.

Light spice to the taste, with a bit of cinnamon and oak wood. Wheat lingers and a bit syrup-laden, but not overpowering and not particularly notable.

High carbonation and syrupy and yeasty finish makes this beer a bit tough to drink. 9% ABV prevalent, but this wheat trippel does a terrible job at hiding it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

best by 3/25/10

pours a hazy golden orange with a 2 finger white head that fades fast

smells of banana, pear, apples, and wheat

taste is much the same very fruity and of course that unibroue yeast. i think a couple years has mellowed this beer nicely and the 9%abv is undetectable

mouthfeel is lively yet smooth and clean

drinkability is too good @9%abv

overall another solid unibroue beer this brewery has yet to let me down

4.48/5  rDev +8%

A - Pours a pale gold with a fluffy white head. The head dissipates fairly quickly to a thin layer with very nice lacing on this Unibroue glass. Slightly hazy.

S - Quite fruity with some nice clove aroma. This is classic Belgian yeast. Plenty of phenol action as well and maybe a hint of alcohol.

T - Clove and cinnamon hit right up, some banana follows with a hint of stone fruit (maybe peach). Slightly caramely across the back palate. Plenty of nice yeasty esters and the wheat offers a nice, crisp refreshing note as well. No overpowering hotness is evident. Quite excellent.

M - Above average carbonation creates a crisp mouthfeel. A good medium body also makes this beer layer across the palate and balances out the higher carbonation levels. Very good, smooth yet still crisp and not overbearing.

D - This is quite drinkable. I want to drink more but 9% ABV makes that a bit tough. Definitely a good beer and one or two in a night would be more than welcome. There is no overbearing heat that I feared in a Wheat Tripel so it does go down well.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz brown bottle with best before 06/05/10, poured into chalice.

A: Golden orange with slight cloudiness. White head that falls back quickly and slight lace retention.

S: Light fruity, toffee, and spice aromas with heavy phenols present.

T&M: Smooth with fruitiness and floral flavors. Slight sweetness and soft hop fizz follows with some spice and esters. Very mild oily aftertaste on the pallette.

Very good beer. It is definitely top of the Unibroue's I've tasted.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased at the Beer Stop. Poured into my Duvel tulip and appears a cloudy (I stirred up the yeast) golden apricot color with about an inch of fluffy light ecru foam. The head lasts through nearly the entire glass. Smells and tastes of fall fruits such as apples, citrus, orange, lemon, a touch of pineapple (a liquid fruitbowl), spicy yeast with a nice dose of sweet malt to tie it all toghther. This ale falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with lively carbonation. Great stuff.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

I am trying to get into the Belgian styles of beers. I have had quite a few before, but none of them really clicked for me. They taste more like a carbonated wine than beer to me. I don't know. Maybe I am crazy. I bought some samplers of the Unibroue beers, 8 in all. They may change my outlook on Belgian beers when I am though with them. We'll see. Here's the review:

A: Pours a nice straw color. Very carbonated. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Pretty cloudy looking. Head does not last long due to the massive carbonation.

S: I get alot of wheat on the nose. Some banana, and apple. Some tartness as well.

T: This is very prickly, but there is alot of flavor here. Banana, grapes, apple, and lots of Belgian yeast. Some wheat. This kinda reminds me of a Saison. Not bad.

M: Like I said before, this is very prickly and bubbly due to the carbonation. Medium to light bodied.

D: This beer goes down easy. Its not thick and cloying like some Belgian ales I have had. Pretty clean finish. But the excessive carbonation prevents this one from being an all night drinker.

Overall, this isn't a bad beer. Like I said before, this reminds me alot of a Saison. If you are a fan of those, check this beer out. I got seven more beers from Unibroue to review, so we'll see how this one stacks up. Cheers y'all!

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 corked and caged, pours a fizzy apple juice (cloudiness at the bottom) with generous head. Bubbles coming up leave the top with a nice covering all the way through.

Smell is of the traditional Unibroue yeast, hints of pineapple, some grains, citrus, light sweetness, maybe a touch of white grape.

Taste is clean and yet bold - perhaps like a bolder Fin du Monde. Citrus tart, a pleasingly sweet backbone, tropical fruit esters, slight tartness in the finish again. Leaves a slightly dry mouth with lively mouth feel. Very nice.

I'm actually really impressed with this one. After having Maudite and Chamblay Noire I have been feeling that, apart from Fin du Monde , all of Unibroue's beer is too similar and not spectacular enough to live up to the hype. Don de Dieu revives some of my feelings towards Unibroue. Classy, flavorful, drinkable beer that I would love to grab a couple more bottles of.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a- a golden orange, with a frothy head

s- smells like citrus and hops

t- This beer is very citrusy, it tastes a bit too much like orange peel. It's similar to La Fin Du Monde but with more orange peel taste that's very tart.

m- has some nice spices, but too cirtusy

d- sadly I love Unibroue but hate this beer. A La Fin Du Monde gone wrong

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Don de Dieu, Unibroue
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV: 9.00 %, 12 oz bottle > dimpled stein mug
5/6/09 live review @ home

In a sentence - "A wonderfully balanced sweet fruity wheat brew that hides the 9% ABV as it should for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale!

A 4.0 - golden straw/honey in color. More cloudy than a Duvel, less cloudy than a Witbier. Some minor bits of suspended sediment. Semi cloudy. Good 1.5 finger head that reduced medium-quick. Nominal lace.
S 4.5 Sweet malty wheat and bakery/candy shop! Minor fruit notes as listed in order of dominance Pear, Apple, Citrus.
T 5.0 - The taste follows the aromas, and I love the taste of this brew! Sweet for sure, but on the edge - not yet cloying. Just my preference for this type of thing. Almost like a super wheat triple with less spice. Hides the 9.0% EXCELLENT!!! Almost suggests a bit tart/sour on the finish? Some minor clove yeasty notes.
MF 4.5 medium-high carbonation. Medium body on palate, but thin on finish.
D 5.0 - I give it a 5, but at 9% you have to take this 4 pack slow.... I have not had a Wheat wine yet, but I am hoping it is something like this fine Belgian SPA. Well done Unibroue!!! You have not disappointed my Belgian fix yet!

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

750 ml corked bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Here's hoping my 100th review will be a good one!

A: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a fizzy white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S: A very bright wheat character with hints of citrus (orange) and sweet spices (clove). An interesting yeast twang is present as well (I promised to get away from the "twang" descriptor, but I could think of no better term!).

T: Starts with a burst of fruity wheat. It almost feels like little orange globes bursting. A hint of spice comes in next. Then comes the yeast, with yet another fruit-esque character. All are superbly blended, as none outshines the others.

M: Very nice medium body with pretty decent carbonation, despite the lack of head. Feels smooth, if just a tad prickly on the tongue.

D: Superbly delicious and refreshing.

Other than some head issues (which may be due to the age of the bottle, perhaps...?) this is a very solid beer. I've had several discussions with my beer advocating friends about the Unibroue beers, and this one rarely, if ever, came up in those talks. Well it will from here on out! I have always had a certain fascination with this particular style, and Don de Dieu may very well push me to change my preferred style. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I will definitely buy this again!

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a Duvel glass from a 22oz cork-finished bottle at my house.

The beer pours a light golden color, the head comes thick and drops a bit. However, the last half inch or so stayed around until the surface was disturbed.

The nose is a great mix of malt, spice, and apple. Some yeast back-note as well.

The flavor is a tremendous mix of malt and fruit. Apple and pear come through and then a spice background - I cannot determine which spices though.

This is a nicely medium bodied ale that presents a strong ans smooth finish. The beer is a bit explosive in the mouth, a bit over carbonated.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light hazy golden with a medium creamy white head that has good retention and lacing. Tons of carbonation seen rising.

Aroma is sweet, yeasty with citrus and malts.

Taste has orange, pears, pineapple, spicy, yeast and malt. Quite a lot going on but nicely blended.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing.

Overall, just a wonderful, well made beer. Enjoy!

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

love this brewey. you gotta get one. Unibroue is perhaps my favorite brewery.

A- dark golden almost orange.

S- Banana smell. Nice malts.

T- banana and clove. slight spice.

M- smooth. and very crisp.

D- such an easy drinker i could hardly beleive it was a 9% abv beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Somewhat cloudy with lively carbonation. Frothy head. Strong aroma of golden hay and yeasty earthiness. The taste is bright, clean wheat and some yeast. Somewhat of a champagne mouthfeel. Crisp and refreshing on the palate. This is one of my all-time favorite beers in the summertime.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my New Sam Adams "light bulb"-style Pint glass - gorgeous!

A: Wow this beer looks great as this glass really helps head retention. Pour produces a really cloudy, deep golden colored body with slight sediment visible. There is a dense white head about two fingers thick that gradually decreases to about one finger in depth. Appearance reminds me a lot of a Weihenstephaner.

S: The first note that comes to mind is sweet pineapple. I'm also picking up hint of cloves and coriander. Then there is the malt background that adds a bready scent that pokes through the sweetness. As the drink warms, I begin to detect the peppery presence of the alcohol.

T: A lot of sweetness up front reminiscent of fresh pineapple, followed by lighter citrus and fruit flavors such as lemon, navel oranges and apple. The malts come forth mid sip, delivering a fresh-baked bread flavor that moderates the fruity sweetness. This malt flavor is then tempered by the appearance of the alcohol as a burst of white pepper flavor, not too overpowering, and not very medicinal. The aftertaste brings back a slight bit of malt sweetness, again as a fresh baked bread taste, slightly sweetened by hints of honey and some lingering pineapple.

M: Solid carbonation; creates a crisp, prickly feel on the tongue and light powdery mouthfeel, but not as pronounced as other Unibroue beers that I've tried (think La Fin du Monde or Maudite... they were more powdery, this is just slightly below those, but still great).

D: Wow! I'm really digging the blend of pineapple and spices and I could easily enjoy more of these tonight. The ABV is strong at 9%, and while the alcohol is present and gives off a slight warming feel, I could easily finish 2-3 bottles without any problem just because the pineapple sweetness and the malt background play so nicely with the peppery alcohol to temper how hard it hits - rather devious I say.

Delicious. I have to say this is probably my second favorite Unibroue beer, right behind La Fin du Monde and just slightly ahead of Trois Pistoles because of the unique flavor profile of this strong pale ale. I know Duvel is the standard for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but it's been about 6 months since I've had a Duvel and I would like to see how the two beers compare head to head.

Don De Dieu from Unibroue