Don De Dieu | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by Todd on 12-06-2000

Ratings: 2,875 |  Reviews: 1,308
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

A 12 ounce bottle purchased at the Beer Stop. Poured into my Duvel tulip and appears a cloudy (I stirred up the yeast) golden apricot color with about an inch of fluffy light ecru foam. The head lasts through nearly the entire glass. Smells and tastes of fall fruits such as apples, citrus, orange, lemon, a touch of pineapple (a liquid fruitbowl), spicy yeast with a nice dose of sweet malt to tie it all toghther. This ale falls somewhere between medium and full bodied with lively carbonation. Great stuff.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

I am trying to get into the Belgian styles of beers. I have had quite a few before, but none of them really clicked for me. They taste more like a carbonated wine than beer to me. I don't know. Maybe I am crazy. I bought some samplers of the Unibroue beers, 8 in all. They may change my outlook on Belgian beers when I am though with them. We'll see. Here's the review:

A: Pours a nice straw color. Very carbonated. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Pretty cloudy looking. Head does not last long due to the massive carbonation.

S: I get alot of wheat on the nose. Some banana, and apple. Some tartness as well.

T: This is very prickly, but there is alot of flavor here. Banana, grapes, apple, and lots of Belgian yeast. Some wheat. This kinda reminds me of a Saison. Not bad.

M: Like I said before, this is very prickly and bubbly due to the carbonation. Medium to light bodied.

D: This beer goes down easy. Its not thick and cloying like some Belgian ales I have had. Pretty clean finish. But the excessive carbonation prevents this one from being an all night drinker.

Overall, this isn't a bad beer. Like I said before, this reminds me alot of a Saison. If you are a fan of those, check this beer out. I got seven more beers from Unibroue to review, so we'll see how this one stacks up. Cheers y'all!

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 corked and caged, pours a fizzy apple juice (cloudiness at the bottom) with generous head. Bubbles coming up leave the top with a nice covering all the way through.

Smell is of the traditional Unibroue yeast, hints of pineapple, some grains, citrus, light sweetness, maybe a touch of white grape.

Taste is clean and yet bold - perhaps like a bolder Fin du Monde. Citrus tart, a pleasingly sweet backbone, tropical fruit esters, slight tartness in the finish again. Leaves a slightly dry mouth with lively mouth feel. Very nice.

I'm actually really impressed with this one. After having Maudite and Chamblay Noire I have been feeling that, apart from Fin du Monde , all of Unibroue's beer is too similar and not spectacular enough to live up to the hype. Don de Dieu revives some of my feelings towards Unibroue. Classy, flavorful, drinkable beer that I would love to grab a couple more bottles of.

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a- a golden orange, with a frothy head

s- smells like citrus and hops

t- This beer is very citrusy, it tastes a bit too much like orange peel. It's similar to La Fin Du Monde but with more orange peel taste that's very tart.

m- has some nice spices, but too cirtusy

d- sadly I love Unibroue but hate this beer. A La Fin Du Monde gone wrong

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

Don de Dieu, Unibroue
Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV: 9.00 %, 12 oz bottle > dimpled stein mug
5/6/09 live review @ home

In a sentence - "A wonderfully balanced sweet fruity wheat brew that hides the 9% ABV as it should for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale!

A 4.0 - golden straw/honey in color. More cloudy than a Duvel, less cloudy than a Witbier. Some minor bits of suspended sediment. Semi cloudy. Good 1.5 finger head that reduced medium-quick. Nominal lace.
S 4.5 Sweet malty wheat and bakery/candy shop! Minor fruit notes as listed in order of dominance Pear, Apple, Citrus.
T 5.0 - The taste follows the aromas, and I love the taste of this brew! Sweet for sure, but on the edge - not yet cloying. Just my preference for this type of thing. Almost like a super wheat triple with less spice. Hides the 9.0% EXCELLENT!!! Almost suggests a bit tart/sour on the finish? Some minor clove yeasty notes.
MF 4.5 medium-high carbonation. Medium body on palate, but thin on finish.
D 5.0 - I give it a 5, but at 9% you have to take this 4 pack slow.... I have not had a Wheat wine yet, but I am hoping it is something like this fine Belgian SPA. Well done Unibroue!!! You have not disappointed my Belgian fix yet!

4.17/5  rDev +1%

750 ml corked bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Here's hoping my 100th review will be a good one!

A: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a fizzy white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S: A very bright wheat character with hints of citrus (orange) and sweet spices (clove). An interesting yeast twang is present as well (I promised to get away from the "twang" descriptor, but I could think of no better term!).

T: Starts with a burst of fruity wheat. It almost feels like little orange globes bursting. A hint of spice comes in next. Then comes the yeast, with yet another fruit-esque character. All are superbly blended, as none outshines the others.

M: Very nice medium body with pretty decent carbonation, despite the lack of head. Feels smooth, if just a tad prickly on the tongue.

D: Superbly delicious and refreshing.

Other than some head issues (which may be due to the age of the bottle, perhaps...?) this is a very solid beer. I've had several discussions with my beer advocating friends about the Unibroue beers, and this one rarely, if ever, came up in those talks. Well it will from here on out! I have always had a certain fascination with this particular style, and Don de Dieu may very well push me to change my preferred style. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I will definitely buy this again!

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Duvel glass from a 22oz cork-finished bottle at my house.

The beer pours a light golden color, the head comes thick and drops a bit. However, the last half inch or so stayed around until the surface was disturbed.

The nose is a great mix of malt, spice, and apple. Some yeast back-note as well.

The flavor is a tremendous mix of malt and fruit. Apple and pear come through and then a spice background - I cannot determine which spices though.

This is a nicely medium bodied ale that presents a strong ans smooth finish. The beer is a bit explosive in the mouth, a bit over carbonated.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light hazy golden with a medium creamy white head that has good retention and lacing. Tons of carbonation seen rising.

Aroma is sweet, yeasty with citrus and malts.

Taste has orange, pears, pineapple, spicy, yeast and malt. Quite a lot going on but nicely blended.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and cleansing.

Overall, just a wonderful, well made beer. Enjoy!

4.88/5  rDev +18.2%

love this brewey. you gotta get one. Unibroue is perhaps my favorite brewery.

A- dark golden almost orange.

S- Banana smell. Nice malts.

T- banana and clove. slight spice.

M- smooth. and very crisp.

D- such an easy drinker i could hardly beleive it was a 9% abv beer.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Somewhat cloudy with lively carbonation. Frothy head. Strong aroma of golden hay and yeasty earthiness. The taste is bright, clean wheat and some yeast. Somewhat of a champagne mouthfeel. Crisp and refreshing on the palate. This is one of my all-time favorite beers in the summertime.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my New Sam Adams "light bulb"-style Pint glass - gorgeous!

A: Wow this beer looks great as this glass really helps head retention. Pour produces a really cloudy, deep golden colored body with slight sediment visible. There is a dense white head about two fingers thick that gradually decreases to about one finger in depth. Appearance reminds me a lot of a Weihenstephaner.

S: The first note that comes to mind is sweet pineapple. I'm also picking up hint of cloves and coriander. Then there is the malt background that adds a bready scent that pokes through the sweetness. As the drink warms, I begin to detect the peppery presence of the alcohol.

T: A lot of sweetness up front reminiscent of fresh pineapple, followed by lighter citrus and fruit flavors such as lemon, navel oranges and apple. The malts come forth mid sip, delivering a fresh-baked bread flavor that moderates the fruity sweetness. This malt flavor is then tempered by the appearance of the alcohol as a burst of white pepper flavor, not too overpowering, and not very medicinal. The aftertaste brings back a slight bit of malt sweetness, again as a fresh baked bread taste, slightly sweetened by hints of honey and some lingering pineapple.

M: Solid carbonation; creates a crisp, prickly feel on the tongue and light powdery mouthfeel, but not as pronounced as other Unibroue beers that I've tried (think La Fin du Monde or Maudite... they were more powdery, this is just slightly below those, but still great).

D: Wow! I'm really digging the blend of pineapple and spices and I could easily enjoy more of these tonight. The ABV is strong at 9%, and while the alcohol is present and gives off a slight warming feel, I could easily finish 2-3 bottles without any problem just because the pineapple sweetness and the malt background play so nicely with the peppery alcohol to temper how hard it hits - rather devious I say.

Delicious. I have to say this is probably my second favorite Unibroue beer, right behind La Fin du Monde and just slightly ahead of Trois Pistoles because of the unique flavor profile of this strong pale ale. I know Duvel is the standard for a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but it's been about 6 months since I've had a Duvel and I would like to see how the two beers compare head to head.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

750ml bottle split. Poured into a Corsendonk Tulip glass. Best by 10/15/11.

A - Murky, effervescent, golden straw color with a plump, loose, two finger white head.

S - Smells instantly like a wheat beer. Lemony citrus, wheat, a little clay in the stronger yeasty smell. Spicy hints are very subdued.

T - Yeasty, wheaty, citrus flavors that are strongly reminiscent of a beer somewhat between a dubble and triple.

M - Very carbonated. Almost as bubbly as champagne. Slightly dry and refreshing. Once you swallow the fizz is still on your tongue. Distracts from the flavor.

D - This beer is somewhat of an amalgam to me. It has so much going on. It looks and smells like a wheat beer but tastes like a dubble or triple. The carbonation distracts from the flavors but it tastes pretty good and goes down well. I was expecting more but in the end, it's a solid beer. The alcohol is extremely well hidden. Good but not the best Unibroue.

4.31/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice hazy golden color. Head is pure white and medium in volume.

S: Very strong malt sweetness upfront. The usual coriander smell is also very present. There is also a nice green apple kind of taste thanks to the hops. Sort of wheat and/or bread smell is there. Like most belgians, cloves and spices are dominant.

T: Malt is strong in this one, and I like it. Very strong malty sweetness and bread is very present also. Cloves and spices (cinnamon, pepper) are there thanks to the yeast. Green apple peel is still there, but less strong. Hops give it a nice dry finish. Coriander is strong too.

M: A little bit more watery than most unibroue's offering, quite deceiving. But the strong malt characteristics give the brew a little more meat to it.

D: As with all Unibroue's, very balanced and easy to drink.

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz bottle in a goblet

Pours in a cloudy pale golden color with lots of residue floating. It sounded like a soda when I was pouring and the head dissipated similarly.

Aroma of fruit and yeast, as well as some spice.

The flavor of fruits are evident. I thought this was peppery.

Lots of carbonation, the ABV is quite evident.

Not the best I've had from Unibroue, but still rates well

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a hazy dark yellow with a rambunctious head--it's very noisy, and the fizzy static sound of the carbonation lasts almost to the bottom of the glass.

Smells of apples, pears, bananas and grains. The grains smell very clean; an odd association, maybe, but they remind me of freshly-washed fabric.

Tastes of apple, caramel, and malts. There are some hops in there, and lots of alcohol in the finish. It's a very viscous brew that feels chewy and syrupy in the mouth with a fizzy, stinging carbonation.

As for drinkablity, it doesn't sit well in my stomach, and the taste is only average, so I'm gonna have to give this one a pass.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

A = Pours golden almost orange. Cloudy appearance. One finger white head - brief life. Little to no lacing.

S = Smell of yeast and spices, maybe coriander and slight pepper. Some sweet and sour fruit notes as well.

T = Excellent combination of wheat and yeast, with candied fruit sweetness, balanced against the spicy notes of the pepper and maybe coriander.

M = Nice full mouthfeel. Finishes clean and slightly dry. Good carbonation but not overwhelming.

D = Excellent drinkability given the ABV. Nice taste and clean mouthfeel have me wanting another.

Overall, the best Unibroue I've had. Maudite and Trois Pistoles both disappointed me. Had La Fin before but don't remember if I liked it. This brew keeps Unibroue in the game for me.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

750ml bottle with a best by date of 3/18/11 poured into the duvel tulip.

A- this pours a slightly hazy golden color with a finger and a half of bright white head. the head reduces to a centimeter or so after a minute. small bubbles of carbonation can be seen racing to the top of my glass.

S- ah, that classic unibroue yeast is the first thing i notice. after that its kind of spicy with summer fruits. apples, pear, and banana.

T- once again i detect the unibroue strain of belgian style yeast. the fruits i could smell are also present. apples, pears, banana, and maybe grapes. theres a spiciness similar to a wheat beer.

M- light to medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. slight warming from the alcohol on its way down.

D- easy to finish, but one bottle is enough for a night. another success from unibroue. something ill try to work into my rotation.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

750 ML/ Best before date of 1-23-2011

P: This beer looks a beautiful sparkling light gold colored liquid in the Duvel snifter. It's 2 fingered crown is off-white, soapy and kind of fizzy. Sadly, it showed less than impressive head retention and was gone in a matter of seconds.

A: Smells of pale malts that have been nicely toasted, some light fruits like apples and bananas, yeast, spices, and an interesting earthy/woody character in there to boot.

T: Slightly grainy, perfectly toasted pale malts are the centerpiece, while the light fruits spruce up the place around it. Sweet pink apples, bruised bananas, and maybe a little pear seem to massage the taste buds while the clove and white pepper delicately sprinkle some spiciness through the back half. It is in no way as fruity or spicy as some of the best, but I do still like the gentle, subtle approach they've taken. The finish is really interesting to me. I seem to get a little raisin-like, deep fruitiness with some earthiness and a cedar-like wood presence.

M: Don De Dieu has a medium body that features a slightly grainy feel that manages to smooth itself out nicely upon the finish. I will say, though, I thought it was maybe a bit overcarbonated. I'm probably nitpicking here, but I had to pour very gently to keep the foam from bursting out of the top of my glass, and this was reflected in the mouthfeel as well.

Notes: This is a very nice BSPA. Like I said above, it's not nearly as fruity or spicy as others. But in the age of extreme beers, there is something to be said for subtle nuances. All in all, it's another good Belgian-style beer from the Unibroue crew. I know, what a shocker! The unique earthy/woody finish does make this one stand out for me amongst the crowded BSPA category. Recommended

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Live review. Poured from a 750ML corked bottle purchased late last year at Chuck's Fine Wines in Chagrin Falls, Ohio for $5.99. Good price I think. Best by date of 12 14 08. Poured into a clean, clean Brewery Ommegang goblet.

A 1 cm short lived off white head that stuck around for less than 2 minutes, is now a single ring around the top of the beer. I can see sediment floating around in the glass and I was also able to see it in the bottle before opening.

S Belgian yeasts, sweetness likely from malt. Very inviting.

T Ahhhh...very nice malty Pale Ale with Belgian yeasts and grains. The taste is not necessarily adventurous but that is not a negative. Really, a very solid BSPA and at the price, could easily become a regular for BSPA. Certainly the bottle alone (cork, excellent large label) would be worth at least $2). There is a bit of a citrusy....or maybe granny apple flavor in there that I like.

M Appropriately carbonated and busy with flavors, probably moderate to big mouthfeel overall. Very appropriate to the style.

D I am not going to have any problem finishing this 750ML bottle (which is going to be two full goblets) as it is very easy to drink.

Notes: Another successful Belgian style Ale from Unibroue!

3.31/5  rDev -19.9%

pours hazy golden with an initial spiral of sediment swirling in the glass. hardly any head retention despite high carbonation level.
banana and bubble gum esters dominate the aroma from the second the bottle is opened.
maybe this beer just isn't my schtick. the sharp esters and phenols are crashing on my tongue and clashing with what too much hop bitterness. lots of alcohol warmth.
the high alcohol gives the perception of full body, but the beer is quite dry. im left with a rather pleasant aftertaste.
i find this beer too strong in many aspects to be very drinkable and i will make a point to not buy it again.
i am surprised by how much i dont like this beer because i love most of their other products.

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

A - poured a light cloudy orange with a quick head and much bubbling in a chalice.

S - bubblegum, cloves, banana, estery with a touch of yeast.

T - Fruity and sweet, some grapes, orange peel, and fresh apples. The alcohol is apparent. However, still quite good.

M - medium bodied and well carbonated

D - very drinkable minus the alcohol

Overall - Unibroue never fails to make a good Belgian interpretation and this is no exception. Nearly reminiscent of a tripel, but a huge touch of light fruits. A very good brew by a very good brewery.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Hazy, golden-orange in color...fluffy head that dissipated rather quickly, leaving a ring around the edge of the glass...swirling leaves lacing up to the top

S: Spices and yeast...some cloves...banana bread

T: A sweeter, banana flavor up front...candied sugars...definitely some ground pepper flavors going on...a little spicy but not over the top...there is so much more that I can't really put my finger on

M: Light prickly carbonation, but lots of it...nice warming from the alcohol sticks with you at the back of your mouth...smooth drinking and fairly dry finish

D: Very nice, although I seemed to notice the ABV in this one more than the other Unibroue beers that I have had

One word sums it up: pleasurable. It has heart and soul of a filling tasty Belgian style beer while also being truly refreshing. Came in with no expectations or preconceived notions, walking away impressed.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml bottle poured into glass.

Beer is a cloudy unfiltered orangish/yellowish color. Head is white that lasts well.

Smell Baked bread, banana, cloves.

Taste Very fruity with nice taste. Beer to me starts and finishes with the same taste. Maybe a hint of tingyness on the finish. I like the unfiltered taste. Nice Belgian beer.

Mouthfeel. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability. The 9% alcohol is masked very well. Be careful to sip it and not drink it to fast.

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%

It pours almost orange with an ivory head. The carbonation holds up for a good fifteen minutes. This is one delicious beer. The aroma just jumps out as you before the glass gets near your mouth. And what an aroma - full of ripe peaches and home made toffee but not the least artificial - somehow clean on top of the fruitiness. The taste is even better -round and malty with just the right hints of fruit and spices to make every mouthful a joy. There certainly is some alcohol and wheatiness that give it spunk. The name means something like gift of God and that would be silly for most beers but not this one.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle bought as part of a 4 pack from my local whole foods. Pours a cloudy orange brown with a dense white head. Aroma is very intense. Cloves, bananas, nutmeg? yeast?
Taste is enormously complex with a fruity tartness balancing sweet banana and yeast flavors. Difficult to describe. Carbonation seems high yet somehow doesn't interfere but complements the flavors.

Incredible in all aspects. It will be a tough decision whether to buy this one or La Fin Du Monde when I am in the mood for unibroue

Don De Dieu from Unibroue