Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

This French oak aged, bottle refermented dark ale has a remarkable and complex flavor profile. Its Grande Réserve appellation is a fitting endorsement of its exceptional aging qualities.

Added by MasterSki on 12-30-2011

Ratings: 1,142 |  Reviews: 276

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: A murky brown topped with a finger of beige head. A bit of lacing and decent retention.

S: Aromas of dark fruits - think apricot and over-ripe banana. A bit of clove and signature Unibroue yeast. Brown sugar.

T: Slightly sweet but very well balanced. Very much like the aroma. It's complex on the palate and delivers notes of caramelized dark fruits. No abrasive alcohol, and the beer drinks incredibly smoothly. A bit of clove. Almost like a fruitcake in beer form. I don't get much oak, except for maybe just a slight toasty note in the finish.

F: Just about perfect but maybe a bit lacking in carbonation. I feel as though just a bit more would help dial back the sweetness. Not syrupy at all despite the high abv.

O: An absolutely fantastic beer. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a truly world class Quad, or anyone looking for a great beer in general. Rarely do you find a beer sitting at 10% with an ABV so well hidden. The oak note is forgettable but the beer overall is extremely complex and something to be relished.

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thick veiled copper color, with a pink hue, and powerful carbonation activity. Extra foamy, delicate, beige 3 finger sparkly head, creating a foam island and lasting around 20 minutes, with some strong legs, a swirl easily reconstructs the head. Flavors of plums, prunes, cherries, vanilla, toffee, honey or maple, oak, clove, dark grains and herbal hops. Rich malty feel, delicious super fruity taste. Slick, almost creamy, full body with some extra crispy carbonation. Very strong finish, vinous and dry, bitter herbs with plenty of lingering dark fruits, densely spicy, oak bareel aged feel. Makes a nice appetizer though. Belgian qualities with a robust barleywine feel.

Overall : Exquisite quality; sexy lovely look, super warming, yet decently fresh for the ABV. Nice complexity with an inviting smell. My first review was rated 5, but now after 2 years in the cellar, I lowered the rating. Doesn't age well, it was overly vinous and harsh, with not much developed aged feel. Not the worth to cellar me think, better fresh.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

#100

P:  A beautiful frothy bone colored head that remains steadfast.  Body of murky dark  burnt sienna with fluttering carbonation.  Spotty lacing gracefully grabs the sides of the glass

S:  A potpourri of  medicinal yeast, musty oak, vanilla bean, caramelized  raisins, prunes, sweet bourbon, clove, and a timid anti bacterial soap smell.  Brown sugar, melted butter, bubblegum, taffy, and banana phenol.

T/M:  Taste follows the nose and delivers a decadent velvety mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is sureal the closest thing i can imagine is a melted milkshake.  Taste provides burnt toffee, black licorice,  dark chocolate lurking in the background  caramel, and heavy oak flavoring.  Spices are more subtle than the nose and the alcohol is well hidden.  finishes creamy and leaves with a desirable cherry oak bourbon presence.

O:  I was really expecting a lot out of this beer since it was my #100 and I can honestly say I underestimated the beauty of this beast. This is without a doubt the best BSDA I have ever had. Granted I am a novice and have not sampled many. However, I find it hard to believe that it gets much better. I still have stock in my collection and will seek out more because I'm curious to see how long it lasts.  If you haven't had this and it's available grab as many bottles as you can find. Cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into a chalice
A- Pours a dark rich color, like mahogany. A fluffy beige head and lacing is apparent. If you lacked head or lacing on this, you either don't clean your glasswear or simply do not know how to pour beer. The very picture of what a beautiful dark ale should look like.

Smell: Brown sugar, dark fruits, maybe a touch of banana. If not for a slight burn from either a medicinal yeasty touch or alcohol, it would have been higher for me. Other than that, very alluring and promising. Oh, also maybe a touch of vanilla as well. I didn't get it at first, but as the beer opened up more and warmed a touch, it is faint but present.

T/M: Okay, this baby is well carbonated. I know this is an issue for some BAs. They want their triples carbed and their dark beers a touch more sticky. For me, I only want it to feel nice in my mouth (both can illicit that feeling depending on the rest of the beer) and have the proper viscosity (neither thin nor molasses). For me, given what the bubbles likely did for bringing out the nose, I am more than fine with the bubbly nature of this. I also feel like the subtle flavors that I was unable to pick up in the nose (such as cherry and a light oak) became more accessible even as young as it was due to this lively nature. The slight alcohol burn in the nose is much more subtle in the mouth. Magnificent.

Overall: I waffled between a 4.5 and a 5 on this one. In the end, I went with the five because of the superior flavor and appearance of this beer. While the slight alcohol burn was somewhat unpleasant in the nose, I have to admit it in no way impacted my enjoyment on the beer. Also, it went away after about fifteen or twenty minutes.
I highly recommend this beer. World class.

Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve from Unibroue