Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve | Unibroue

Unibroue 17 Grande RéserveUnibroue 17 Grande Réserve

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

This French oak aged, bottle refermented dark ale has a remarkable and complex flavor profile. Its Grande Réserve appellation is a fitting endorsement of its exceptional aging qualities.

Added by MasterSki on 12-30-2011

Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 1,115
4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a tulip. A hazy dark brown color with a thick tan colored head that leaves lacing down the glass.

Earthy oak, fig, Belgian yeast, clove, slight toasted malt aroma.

A nice toasted malt and raisin/molasses flavor at first. The clove and plum flavors then kick in and blend with an earthy yeast and roasted malt. The roasted malt, clove, and alcohol linger in the finish.

Full body with higher carbonation and a bit of peppery spice and alcohol burn on the tongue.

Fully expected this to be a quality dark ale and it didn't dissappoint. Very nice especially on a cold night like tonight.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

2011 vintage bottle, aged for one year.

A: Reddish dark brown with 3-4 finger head. Lots and lots of lacing everywhere.

S: Oak, some funk(?), brown sugar, some spice, caramel - complex.

T: Awesome. It's great. I can really taste oak, wine, caramel malt, spices. This bottle has that unique flavor present in most Unibroue beers, but way more complex. I would say this beer is caramel malt forward with the oak barrel, wine, and vanilla hitting in the middle, followed by some cola like flavor (and some candy-like sweetness), and finishes off with more wine and spices. I also tastes some apple and dark fruits as well. Alcohol is not detected much.

M: Smoooth and creamy. Thick but not syrupy.

O: Awesome brew. French oak aging must have added extra layers of complexities in the nose and taste. Highly recommended.

750 ml bottle for $10

Appearance is a lovely red-brown colour with a 1.5 finger foamy white head. Nice lacing on the glass. Looks inviting

Nose is of alcohol first off,dark fruits vanilla,cocoa,spiced rum and sherry.

Taste is just...wow. Vanilla is what hits me first, really picking up that french oak. Ripe figs,blue plums,bittersweet chocolate and a very distinct alcohol burn, but in a really nice way. You can taste all 10% of this beast. The typical Unibroue yeast is un-noticable here, as far as i can taste. Full bodied with a creamy mouthfeel.

Overall a really great sipper....truly a cool weather beer though. Very complex and balanced. Glad that i've got another bottle tucked away in the cellar to sit on for a year or two and revisit.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass, 2011 edition. This pours a hazy dark brown tea color with a massive foamy tan head with a pretty good retention. The smells are of sweet malts, yeast easters, banana, ripe fruit, funk. The feel is medium, high carbonation. The taste is pretty good full flavor lots of sweetness malts, fruit and a little dry on the day down. The high alcohol is completely absent.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Reminds me a lot of Rochefort 10 except a bit more carbonated. Huge dark fruit flavor -- plums mainly. Bit of oak flavor. Velvety mouthfeel. Delicious, dangerously easy to drink 10% beer.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

2013. 750 ml bottle at Beer Authority, NYC. Paid way too much but I look at it as a one time thing. I'm a big Unibroue fan because of the unique yeast flavor. This brew has just a hint as the stars are the caramel/malt flavors. This thing is growing on me proportionally to the rose in my cheeks. I can feel, from behind the mask, my complexion turning to that of the jovial monk that bedecks most Trappist labels. It's 70F outside but I'm in a Yuletide flava'. Do not....I repeat ...do not...misconstrue this as a complaint. The further I get into this endeavor, the more disembodied I get. Is that Tim Leary over there drinking W/Jerry Garcia. Methinks it just might be. In the end this was a most enjoyable venture.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the best beers I've ever tried.

After pouring the beer leaves a thin white head that disappears quickly. It look is cloudy and dark brown with amber traces.

The smell is incredibly strong, just like the taste. The complexity of this beer is exceptional, the spices and european yeasts last very long. Very high carbonation and medium body. The beer is overall bitter, but with some fruity notes. It's 10% ABV, but you can't really taste it.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very excited. I love Unibroue and when they do something special, it is exactly that. Bottle 2013-046530. It pours a dark, rusty brown with a thin, creamy, and very persistent off white head. The smell is cherries, leather, biscuits, and a faint floral aftersmell. Is that a word? Squiggly red underline says "no". The taste is carob, followed by a woodiness and raisin plum thing, with that leather deal-e-o coming on strong in the finish. Definitely barrel aged and definitely fantastic. The mouthfeel is, like the gum offer to Chandler from "Friends" while trapped in the ATM vestibule, perfection. Overall, you should buy this. Now. Trust me. I never lie. Well, not about beer anyway. :)

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

From the 750 ml. bottle, 2011 batch dated 12-12-2016. Sampled on June 15, 2012. It pours an incredibly dark amber with red hues and a slightly cloudy appearance too. The soft, supple, off-white head lingers the whole time. The aroma is wonderful with its merger of Belgian yeast, Belgian candied sugar, dark malts, molasses, dark fruits, and maybe even a slight smoky note. The body is slick and in the medium to bold range. The taste is upfront candy sweet and malty with a quickly rising hop bitterness that lingers and becomes dry. An outstanding beer that was easily worth the $14 that I paid for it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 750ml bottle (2012) with my wife at cellar temp, served in snifters.

A: Beautiful beer, dark amber, that produced a two inch off-white head on vigorous pour. Head dissipated over five minutes but maintained a thin coat over the surface almost until the finish. Didn't pay attention to the lacing.

S: I don't know; caramel, raison, bread, a tiny bit of roast? My nose isn't that great, but it seemed kind of indistinct. It smelled like I expected it to smell but subtler; inviting but it didn't exactly blow me away. Not that it needs to.

T: It's a one-year old bottle, so very smooth. The flavors follow the nose--caramel, raison, dried fig, dark bread--but very nuanced, almost delicate, surprisingly laid-back. I really enjoyed this beer, but I expected a stronger burst of flavors. It's very seductive, but coy. The alcohol was well-hidden, and the oak extremely well-integrated.

M: Silky, toward the lighter end of a medium body, not at all cloying or overly sweet. Refreshing, really, and very easy to drink. Carbonation was perfect.

O: It's a little pricey but worth every penny IMO. I was surprised by its very subdued smell and taste, but it really was delicious. Less estery than I expected for a Belgian style ale, but that was almost a plus. Really pleased with this beer, but not blown away. Which is fine--a really good ale doesn't always need to show off.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

750 ml bottle into signature tulip glass, bottled on 12/12/2011. Pours very hazy dark reddish brown color with a nice 2 finger dense and fluffy light khaki head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice thick soapy lacing clings on the glass, with plenty of carbonation streaming up retaining the head. Aromas of big raisin, prune, fig, apple, pear, molasses, brown sugar, toast, toffee, caramel, herbal, banana, pepper, clove, cinnamon, and yeast earthiness. Fantastic aromas with big complexity and great balance of malt and fruity esters. Taste of big raisin, prune, fig, molasses, brown sugar, toffee, toast, herbal, banana, pepper, clove, cinnamon, light oak, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of dark fruits, molasses, brown sugar, caramel, toast, toffee, herbal, banana, pepper, clove, cinnamon, oak, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic balance and complexity of dark malt, spice, and fruity esters; with zero cloying sweetness present after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, slick, earthy, and lightly prickly mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with only a slight warming noticed well after the finish. Overall this is an incredible Belgian strong dark ale! Big complexity and balance of malt and fruity esters; and dangerously smooth to sip on. An absolutely top notch offering all around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a beer I had set aside for my 1000th beer. I change my mind because I asked for a poll on this site (which got deleted - but the admin gave me congratulations so I don't mind) and on the League on Facebook because it got deleted. I wish I hadn't listened to the poll, which voted for Barrel-Aged Bigfoot. This beer has phenomenal flavor, a darker color than anything I've seen in this style, and it is so smooth.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Hazy... a deep tawny would probably be the most appropriate color--or, at least the only one that comes to mind. Head forms a pretty modest single finger, retains well, and recedes back to a generous ring of lace and a misty sheet over the beer.

S: Hot damn, this beer smells nice. After taking a little break, it's like my nose has come back from the dead! Toasted malts, some nice hints of vanilla, though quite mild and balanced. There's a hint of clove and perhaps even cinnamon that I'm picking up on. It doesn't smell like a bakery, but it does have that touch of 'warmth' that I really enjoy.

T: A little bit of a banana flavor--undoubtedly a pleasant result of the yeast strain being utilized. It pairs nicely with a sweet maltiness... is there a bit of ginger in here? It's not 'spicy' as in having an edgy bite, but the flavor seems to be there. Some nice sugar notes left behind.

M + D: A solid beer, well crafted and well balanced. The carbonation doesn't quite sparkle, but it does have a richness to it. A very satisfying brew from start to finish... outstanding!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

750ml (C&C'ed) bottle, poured into a Brooklyn tulip. [Bottle No. 2011-102944, Best Before: 12-12-2016]

Pours a murky dark brown with redish hues when held up to the light. A 2 finger tan head with decent retention. Hardly any lacing left behind.

Dark fruits are the primary aromas(raison, fig and abit of fig), with a licorice type spiciness and a nicely balanced brown sugar sweetness. A hint of cherries, and some oakiness round out these rather awesome aromas.

Flavors are almost identical to the nose, with the dark fruits taking the forefront.

Medium body, with an appropriate amount of carbonation. A dry finish, and a definate alcohol bite once it's given some time to warm.

Never had a bad offering from Unibroue, and this one didn't dissappoint. Love this style, and this is one of the better Belgium Strongs I've had. Definately recommend and so glad this one made it to TX.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Been sitting on this brew since last fall, bottle 2011-7893, which has been aging in anticipation of cracking with my BA bro joemcgrath27.

A - Pours a slightly hazy ruby red, solid thumb of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Scent is incredibly sweet and dominated by grape juice, hints of cloves, peppery spice and dark fruit notes on the finish.

T - This is where this brew shines, heavy fruit notes with the grape juice and red wine notes dominating alongside some tart toffee and burnt sugar caramel. A leafy green hop note lingers alongside hints of oak and a tart peppery finish.

M - Lighter bodied ale that fills the mouth yet goes down smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness.

O - This brew delivered and I'm glad i was able to take it down alongside my BA bro in crime. This is a brew that ages quite well and has a dangerously hidden ABV. The alcohol is only detectable in the belly, making for a delicious and wildly satisfying ale. Grab a few if they're available, you won't be disappointed.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark nut brown with a finger width of bubbly beige head.

Smell - Traditional Unibroue yeast, caramel, plum, clove, vanilla.

Taste - Beyond the traditional Unibroue yeast, the flavours that follow include the caramel, plum/cherry, and vanilla. Nice oak touch accompanies the vanilla. Sweet finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium/full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth body.

Overall - A truly complex Belgian strong dark ale by Unibroue. An array of flavours that blend beautifully. The alcohol is quite concealed (in my opinion), which can be dangerous. Definitely a rarity - if you spot this one in your local beer store, don't leave without it.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 1/5/12 thanks liamt07 for the bottle

A dark drown with dark amber highlights when held to the light, two fingers of tan foam has great retention and leaves some random lace

S brown sugar both crystal and burnt, woody yeast, raisin, faint booze but not 10%, there's some over-ripe candied banana and some fortified wine on a deep whiff, smells great with a nice sweet malty complexity with the wood and yeast adding to it even further

T a little more fruity then the nose with slightly more booze but still well concealed for the strength, woody finish and slightly spicy, still everything I smell with less candied banana

M creams up the instant it enters your mouth without being foam, not much heat but there's just a little, impressive all things considered, long finish of wet wood and brown sugar

O I don't have a whole lot to complain about while I'm drinking this one, its drinking great today and I'm sure it would age well too

Unibroue continues to impress me with this brew, great complexity, well concealed liquor, and it smells and tastes great. I preferred this to the aged original 17 I just had last week. It's my understanding that this on will come to Alberta in the future and I'll be buying several to age if it dose, for now I'm thanking liamt07 yet again for the opportunity

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

One of the better Belgian-inspired beers I've come across in quite some time. Vanilla, cola, caramel, and sugar are balanced against toasted oak, cinnamon, and clove. Earthy bitterness is mild but is supportive enough to hold up against the maltiness. Rich but not sweet. Strong but balanced. Alcohol is completely hidden. This is a seriously complex and dangerous ale. Completely worth the $12 for 750mL of beautiful beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Woody reddish-brown colour with a two-finger dirty beige coloured head that appears quite creamy. Decent retention and minimal lacing.

S: Orchard fruits (plums and pears), tropical fruits (banana), fainter dark dried fruits (raisins and figs), belgian-style spices, and a slight citrus sour element. The wooden earthy aroma of the oak is detectable and compliments other smells nicely. Quite an overall smooth aroma.

T: Deliciously similar to the aroma with a solid fruit presence (plum and banana) coupled with a lighter dark fruit component (raisins and dates) that blends seamlessly with the wooden/musky characteristics. Appealing lemon-sour notes are present along with a surprising honey element that underlines the taste at each stage. Very good.

M: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Quite bitter with a lingering dryness in the finish, with less of a malty-sweetness typical to a belgian strong ale. I like it.

D: Very Unibroue, very good. I will be picking up and stocking a few more of these bottles to enjoy over the spring & summer. Very happy I had the opportunity to try this.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So this evening I was in a horrible mood. Went for a drive, finished an errand and now at 10:45pm I'm settling in. I even cleaned my kitchen to work the angst out. This all wasn't going to get me back to ground zero though.
Last month I picked up a bottle of Unibroue's 17 Grande. It made me extremely happy. I had a second bottle. Then I went back to Whole Foods and got a third and a fourth. These I would tuck away for safe keeping. Well this was one of those nights where I was possessed to have exactly what I wanted. Part of my "errand" was to drive out to Whole Foods and pick up three more bottles of this beer. Why you ask? I was in a bad mood. When a guy get's in a bad mood he should (with in reason) get to do what he wants to do. My want was more of this brew so I could go home, and have the beer that I wanted, with out disturbing my cellar. Anal? Absolutely. Did I get what I wanted? Damn right.

The beer is brilliant. Let's go through the motions though and state clearly why it rocks so hard.

Appearance- Gorgeous brown that descends into absolute darkness. Know what I mean? On the outside it's got that deep amber color, in it's heart though it's enveloped in darkness.

Smell - Clean and fresh with a teasing pleasant scent of alcohol. Not rude, just enough that if you stick your nose in the glass, you realize you're going to get smashed.

Taste- Out of this world. Complex yet simple. What I mean is that it's features are beer like then the barrel aged mixture of texture and sweetness start to nag at you. I swear it's a bastardized cream sherry. It's all beer though because it bites back. The after taste forces your mouth to water.

Mouth feel - Clean with a nice bite. Not overly carbonated but enough that it makes your mouth tingle and your tongue wake up.

So I like this beer. I think it's pretty clear that I like it. It's also 10% ABV which in the mood I'm in, I'd prefer to be lightly smashed. So one beer doing that trick is perfect. It's like that old adage of snipers who say one shot one kill. Well that's what this beer does. Everything I like wrapped into one neat little package.

I suggest checking out Unibroue's site as well because the cool thing about their beers is that most of them have a legend behind them. Very cool stuff. Very cool company. Knock out brew.

Thanks,

Steve McShane
Drunkards Call Podcast
Growler Radio Podcast
www.inkandaudio.net
@ayemcshane on Twitter.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle

2011 vintage, opened on 11/11/2013

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Rich reddish brown with a light brown head. Head falls at average speed and doesn't leave much lacing to speak of.

SMELL : First nose is light roasted malts. Second nose gives out some vinous aromas, as well as some balsamic and spices. This is getting pretty complex. Third nose shows off the wood barrel. Beautiful.

TASTE : Very rich, mostly roasted malts and woody flavours. Lots of subtle spices. Definite vegetal undertone. Outstandingly complex.

MOUTHFEEL : Not thick, but cloying in a very special way. Coats the mouth. Very fine carbonation.

OVERALL : This brew ages exceptionally well. I'd compare it to Carolus Van de Keizer Blue. Quite spectacular, even if it can get a bit overwhelming at times. Very glad I still another of the same vintage sleeping on my shelves.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unibroue Grande Réserve 17
750 ml. brown glass bottle, corked & caged, "Bottled in 2013" "BEST BEFORE 02-28-2018"
$12.99 @ Total Wine & More, CHerry Hill, NJ

Appearance: Very hazy (lees were disturbed) deep brown body beneath a massive head of tan that seems to want to rise up out of the glass. Excellent head retention and lacing with a full 1/2 thick head of pillowy foam and broken walls of lace throughout the glass.

Aroma: Apple, soft spice, brown sugar, oak, red grape.

Flavor: As in the aroma, but fuller, with additional notes of chocolate, fig, caramel, bread crust, and soft grass or straw. Soft cinnamon and all-spice. Alcohol becomes more present as it warms, adding to the spiciness. Low level bitterness lingers with brown sugar and grassiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dextrinous edge. Its very fine-bubbled natural carbonation leaves it smooth, almost silky, and bordering on becoming creamy.

Overall: Sensational! It's not remarkable in its flavor components or its complexity (compared to other beers within the style), but the overall balance and polish is brilliant. Superbly satisfying. Worth seeking out.

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a murky brown with two dingers of beige head that fades into a thin layer with little lacing.

S: spices up front with sweet candy sugar and dark fruits. There are some slight buttery notes along with oak and chardonnay-like aromas.

T: similar to the aroma, there are spices and dark, slightly buttery, fruits up front. Oak and chardonnay follow with a slight alcohol presence.

M: medium body with high carbonation, this beer is very dry and clean with a high attenuation.

O: a very tasty beer overall. I enjoyed the regular 17, and the oak barrels add some nice flavors and aromas to it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Such a beautiful thick lacing on the glass I wanted to lick it off. Its that weird? Whatever. Looks exactly like what a strong dark belgian should look like

Smell: Yeast with some exotic spices. The dark fruits play a role but not as much as I would have expected.

Taste: Awesomeness. Dark fruits take over here with some spicy undertones. The flavors are not overpowering, they mix together and really make you enjoy them. Brilliantly dance off of one another which really makes you wonder if you are still drinking a dark belgian. Simply wonderful.

Mouthfeel: OHH baby, so smooth its almost crazy. It was hard to put this one down because it was so creamy and delicious. The yeast sticks in your mouth along with all the other flavors presented in this beer.

Overall: I think Unibroue is one of the truly elite breweries in the world. Their products consistently bring top notch quality. This Anniversary Ale is a true delight and worth a buy.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

From notes on some day last month.

A - Dark caramel brown, lush head, much retention & lacing on the glass, barely any light penetration

S - Caramel, apples, rainsins, grain, oak

T - Fruit, brown sugar, cinnamon, smoky wood, lush malt, those distinctive Unibroue hops

M - Extremely velvety + perfect carbonation follow-up, barely there alcohol heat, lingering sweetness

This thing is gorgeous, one of the best dark Belgians I've ever had - and it's from Montreal. One of those cases where the whole is even better than the sum of its considerable parts. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in a fantastic Belgian, or any beer experience for that matter.

Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve from Unibroue