Maximus | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 5,518 |  Reviews: 1,548

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Medium orange-ish gold color and because of an aggressive pour, an enormous off white head, which quickly dissipated.

Smell: Tropical fruits, pine, along with some spice that I can't put my finger on.

Taste: Tropical fruits and pine balanced with sweet malts. A bit too sweet for my liking, and the flavors are mild for what I prefer in a DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium body; Smooth and easy drinking for 8.2%. Not much bitterness

Overall: I prefer more body and character for the style. A mellow DIPA to be sure. I prefer Hop Stoopid in every aspect, but if Im in the mood for a sweet and lighter tasting double, ill grab this one.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz poured to tulip snifter

Appearance is a clear medium gold (surprisingly light for 1.080 OG), 1 finger and a half of light gold head. Head lays down to a film rather quickly, leaves some nice lacing. Very pretty beer,

Aroma has light floral, pine and citrus notes, some faint biscuit and honey.

Flavor has a nice sweetness with loads of hop flavor: pine, juniper berries, orange peel and black pepper jump out, but none annoyingly so. Less bitter than expected.

Mouthfeel is very nice, drinks far lighter than 1.080 OG suggests

Overall: less aggressive than the name and numbers might suggest, a good looking brew, nearly a big beer, that drinks like a PA. This one will be making frequent appearance in my fridge, for certain.

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

While looking through my history I noticed that I rated this rather low. Coming in at 3.5 my first time around. So I recently found some fresh sixers at my local shop I decided to give it another try. Pours a beautiful golden orange color with a steady flow of bubbles ascending from the bottom of the pour. Aromas and flavors are tropical and citrusy. Maximus has that unmistakable Lagunitas yeast nose. This beer pretty much reminds me of a hoppier version of Lagunitas ipa. Overall, this is much better the second time around.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%