Maximus | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 5,495 |  Reviews: 1,545

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - Light amber/clear color,1/2 inch head at most, nice lacing.

Smell -Grassy / citrus fresh hops. Sweeter than expected.

Tastes - Nice and malty, not bitter, but with a sweet grapefruit hop flavor. I cannot taste any alcohol.

Mouthfeel - A little thicker than I prefer, but not too shabby. Somewhat full bodied.

Overall - Lagunitas does it again. I'm starting to like this brewery, and will start purchasing more and more from them. Love their Brown Shugga and Undercover Shutdown. I am not a bitter IPA fan. I guess Lagunitas is doing it right in my opinion. Don't just make it bitter, make it taste good.

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I poured this bomber into a snifter at cellar temperature.

It's a transparent golden amber with a dense, two-and-a-half-finger, off-white head.

This beer smells like tropical fruit! I think I pick up mango, pineapple, and grapefruit. A little bit of honey and hops, too. Very nice.

I must say, this is one of the sweeter DIPAs I've had. A prominent, robust, honey-like maltiness compliments delicious, lip-smacking, juicy hops. And this bitterness is toned down compared to most other DIPAs. It's kind of like the taste of hops WITHOUT intense bitterness. I do not discriminate beers for their IBUs, so I'm good with this. I might add that there's a pleasant, tart yeastiness in the finish.

The mouthfeel is thick and substantial with somewhat calm carbonation. Feels just right.

Like every other Lagunitas beer I've tried, Maximus didn't disappoint me. It's definitely a delicious and distinctive DIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Light bronze color with a large, foamy, sticky, light, white head. Great retention leaving behind a thick layer of lacing.

S - Sweet candied orange and notes of grapefruit. Fair amount of caramel and toffee malt. Hints of pine resin. Balanced aroma,

T - Again fairly strong on the citrus although it isn't quite as sweet as the nose suggested. Hints of pine with a slight bitter finish. A bit more malty than the nose suggested with sticky caramel flavors being more than an afterthought.

M - Medium to light body with above average carbonation. Somewhat spritzy and somewhat sticky.

D - Balanced beer that drinks like a 1.5 IPA (not quite double). I had no problem finishing my glass and enjoyed sipping it, but it didn't wow me. Alcohol well hidden.

Notes: Solid beer. Was somewhere in between a regular IPA and a DIPA. I couldn't really find any flaws, but it didn't really stand out. Balanced and solid, especially for the price, but don't expect anything amazing or in your face as far as DIPAs go.

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

bottle into tulip

appearance: orange/red with amber hues, 1 finger white head

smell: sugary citrusy pine, some grapefruit

taste: Sweet, sugary, floral, sweet caramel malt backbone, sweet malty finish with some bitterness but not dominant on the palate. It almost has a cherry like medicinal sweet aftertaste

mouthfeel: medium carbonation, thin yet syrupy feel

overall: too sweet, could use more alcohol and more dominant hop notes, instead this beer is very sweet, sugary, and malt heavy for a DIPA. May be a stylistic choice, as I prefer grapefruit and citrus dominant IPAs where the malt takes the backseat in the flavor profile, the finish is just too sweet for me. Most Lagunitas beer's I think are on the sweet side, but I usually like most of them, this one was just average at best. I would much prefer Hop Stoopid, Lucky 13, Undercover, or Lil Sumpin Sumpin.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours perfectly in a glass and has a nice reddish golden color with very mild opacity. The head is medium and dissipates quickly due to ABV. Very nice lace. Nice manly looking beer in a glass.

Smell - Hops out front some herbal and spice but definitely hoppy.

Taste - Aggressive bubbly IPA with some spicy hops and astringent citrus grapefruit flavor. Bitterness throughout but not overpowering.

Overall - Very nice IPA. I would definitely drink again but it seems to be missing something that would make this a super duper IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%