Maximus | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 5,535 |  Reviews: 1,553
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

3.81/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This brew pours a semi-opaque copper color with a three finger head which lasts for some time and thick lacing which remains on the glass until the end.

The smell is strong with citrus and floral hops; mostly grapefruit and orange but also lemon and pine. The smell of caramel malts is also present.

The hops dominate the taste in the front and back, mostly grapefruit and orange taste. Caramel and roasted malts come in a little in the middle and then the taste finishes with oily hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is relatively thick, slightly oily, there is also a tang which is probably due to the carbonation. I would not say the feel is "chewy" but it is close.

Overall this is what the label says it is; a hoppy beer which comes close to tearing your tongue off but not quite. Hopheads should give this one a try. This is another winner from Lagunitas.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.23/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - Light amber/clear color,1/2 inch head at most, nice lacing.

Smell -Grassy / citrus fresh hops. Sweeter than expected.

Tastes - Nice and malty, not bitter, but with a sweet grapefruit hop flavor. I cannot taste any alcohol.

Mouthfeel - A little thicker than I prefer, but not too shabby. Somewhat full bodied.

Overall - Lagunitas does it again. I'm starting to like this brewery, and will start purchasing more and more from them. Love their Brown Shugga and Undercover Shutdown. I am not a bitter IPA fan. I guess Lagunitas is doing it right in my opinion. Don't just make it bitter, make it taste good.

4.36/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I poured this bomber into a snifter at cellar temperature.

It's a transparent golden amber with a dense, two-and-a-half-finger, off-white head.

This beer smells like tropical fruit! I think I pick up mango, pineapple, and grapefruit. A little bit of honey and hops, too. Very nice.

I must say, this is one of the sweeter DIPAs I've had. A prominent, robust, honey-like maltiness compliments delicious, lip-smacking, juicy hops. And this bitterness is toned down compared to most other DIPAs. It's kind of like the taste of hops WITHOUT intense bitterness. I do not discriminate beers for their IBUs, so I'm good with this. I might add that there's a pleasant, tart yeastiness in the finish.

The mouthfeel is thick and substantial with somewhat calm carbonation. Feels just right.

Like every other Lagunitas beer I've tried, Maximus didn't disappoint me. It's definitely a delicious and distinctive DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%