Maximus | Lagunitas Brewing Company

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.56/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass, orange honey amber colored with a huge fluffy white head that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon, orange

T: delicious balance of huge citrus hops and sweet malt, slight pine, grapefruit, lemon, good caramel malt body to stand up to the bitterness

M: full bodied with good carbonation, excellent aftertaste, alcohol completely hidden

O: Lagunitas knows how to dump some hops into a bottle of beer and make it taste good; this is no exception. A fine DIPA that is as drinkable as an IPA. lighter and less complex than some

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Clear orange-brown with two-finger, off-white, creamy head that lasted a few minutes and left a nice film. Great lacing.

S: Citrus and pine hops. Mild.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Fruit and pine. Light citrus. Matches the nose.

M: Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Crisp.

O: Good Imperial IPA. Looks great in a snifter. Smells and tastes pretty good. Not the best Imperial IPA I've had, but not bad.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had their 'sucks' brew right before this one and I must say that I like it a lot more than Maximus. Maybe my Maximus was old, I don't know. The main thing I noticed about Maximus was that it had a steam beer taste to it, something I noticed in a couple of beers of the largest manufacturer of that style in the US. (Brekle's Brown) This might be the yeast that is used, maybe it is a lager yeast done at ale temperatures. I don't really like this in an IPA, at least not when I am expecting something else.

Lagunitas is opening a shop up in Chicago, so I am excited. All of the beers I have had from the brewery are good, some are high up there on my list ('sucks', little sumpin sumpin). I won't be buying this one in a 6 pack, but will go for 'sucks' and 'sumpin sumpin'. They are awesome and in the same general style.

In my book, if you want a steam beer/IPA go for it. If you want a sweeter IPA, try 'sucks' or 'sumpin sumpin'.

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company