Maximus | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 5,495 |  Reviews: 1,545

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Bottle. Really dissapointing. Just really tinny, rusty American hops, no length too the flavour. Typical pine/grapefruit. I guess i didn't like the metallic edge that most of the Lagunitas beers i've had seem to have, just really a really dissapointing brewery for me, i expected a bit more with this beer.

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy copper colour with a thin cream coloured head. The head fades to a couple of puddles on top, but leaves some lacing.

Smell is fairly sweet, almost a molasses type of smell on top of hops and citrus. Not a bad smell.

A subtle sweetness in the beginning of this beers journey through my mouth is fairly pleasant. Maybe a toffee type flavour, nothing big, just semi sweet. Then... a bit of hop with a long alcohol burn, that reminds me of a cheap shot of hard liquor. Aftertaste is a clash of the bitterness and liquor.

Thin mouthfeel. Carbonation isn't bad but this doesn't feel like much of a beer in the mouth. Back of the mouth is left feeling sticky. Unimpressive in that facet.

Well I can't say that I like this one. It's my first Double IPA, but I feel fairly confident in saying that there must be better ones out there.

2.61/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Its pretty good beer try it

2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

Another pretty poor double IPA. Perhaps I have been spoiled by beers like Dreadnaught, Hop Rod Rye, and 90 Minute. Either way, this is not good.

Appearance is hazy dark peach with a decent head that sticks around for a little while and leaves some lacing. Not impressive for a DIPA though. Smell is alcoholic (at 7.5%?). There are some grapefruity hops and caramel malt in the background.

The taste is very disappointing. At first it isn't bad, simply a little weak. The caramel malt and citrusy hops are there, though they are very subdued. There is a medicinal aspect as well. Then the finish is pure hop bitterness. It lingers for some time and makes the beer very hard to drink as a result. Very harsh. The alcohol is also there, but not nearly as noticeable as in the smell.

The mouthfeel is a tad thin for my liking. Overall, a bomber of this is difficult to finish.

2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

Maximus
Lagunitas Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 7.50 %

This brew has a nice appearance with a light amber/copper color and textbook head/cap/retention. Smell is grapefruit hoppy goodness with a dash of pine to follow along with some sweet caramel malt notes.
Taste is hoppy with very strange but bitter foundation. The bitterness is quickly dominated by cloying caramel and malt sweetness. The sweet element is too much for me in this brew, I dont enjoy this part in the taste. The assertive sweet element and strange bitterness really was turn off for me. I enoy most IIPAs, but do not dig this one.

This element I dislike seems to remind me of Lagunitas "We Are Only In It For The Money" offering. Same strange turn off that I can not put my finger on.

I will not pursue Maximus again. I prefer a Hop Stoopid or Hairy Eyeball from Lagunitas any day!

2.64/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I must have gotten a bad bottle here, but gotta rate it. This was a real step back from their standard IPA. A strange beer without much bite and just not very good. Could mistake this for a poor pilsner.

This pours a hazy light gold with a medium sized white head. Aroma of hay and stale hops, not much sweetness. Flavor follows with dry, stale hops, a good bit of hay, nearly no sweetness, and an unpleasant finish. I'm not sure what happened with this one, and will have to revisit in the future.

2.66/5  rDev -32.7%

A- hazy golden with minimal head and zero lacing

S- Astringent citrus with sweet malt

T- Very quick bitterness but the malt comes in too fast to distinguish any type of hop flavor

M- By far the best part of this beer. The high IBU is noticeable on the tongue.

D- I can finish the 12oz bottle, but not going to rush to pour another.

This is not the first time I've had this, but either my tastes have changed, or this bottle has started to turn. Wish there was a bottling date. I will try this again down the road to see how I feel about it then

2.67/5  rDev -32.4%

ahh cracked the bottle and smells...stale. You know, I am in fix, do I ding the beer cause I got a stale sample? Do I not review it at all and wait and buy another in the future? Hmm, well, I spent my well earned dough on the this premium product, buyer beware I guess, but how do I know what I am getting? No date code,...color of bottle looks good, golden yellow. Beer smells, well faintly hoppy, but has that stale hop smells dominating. What could this be like fresher, some pine, some rich malt. The taste is well, again kinda stale hops, but still some lingering hop bitters, mouthfeel is rich, and this beer is pretty strong. So what a big disappointment. I guess it isn't totally the beers fault, but then again it is....

2.68/5  rDev -32.2%

2.72/5  rDev -31.1%

** Inaugural Review **

After many beers tried, this is my first attempt at a review. So, without further ado, here goes:

Sampled: 2.22.05

22 oz. / 1 pint 6 oz Bomber bought at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Davis Square, Somerville for $5.20

Poured into a wide mouthed glass, a thin head formed. I believe it was a head anyway. After a swirl, the liquid did indeed froth up, but nothing remarkable. I thought maybe I might have had a carbonation issue on my hands, however that was not the case. The brew itself was a clear amber orange. Not unattractive by any means, but not what I look for in an IPA, especially a good double. I want to be looking into at least a slight haze. Minimal lacing left on the glass while drinking.

Getting a whiff of the beer certainly lifted my hopes again. A sweet aroma, both hop ridden and fruity like your standard of the style. No particular scents grabbed me, or stuck out to set it apart from any other brews however.

And now the important part, the taste. First sip offered a slight sweet burst up front, with a bitter end as it ran down the gullet. As the brew warmed over time, the sweetness seemed higher in the mouth than it did in the nose and offered a high carbonated mouthfeel. A little heavy, but with Double IPAs, it should be expected. And despite the heaviness, this one was all hops, not much maltiness to speak of.

The drinkability of this beer is questionable, in my opinion. I was ready to quit 3/4 through the bomber, but I soldiered on. Turns really bitter as you go further through the label. And I drank it slowly over a few pours.

Overall, I was disappointed. For the price of a bottle and the effort I'm sure they put into brewing such a niche style, I expect better.

***
Finally, this is a spot I'll reserve for beers I don't find as satisfying. My personal suggestions/opinion if you're looking for a better example of the style:

Smuttynose - Big A IPA (More malty & fruity, than hoppy)
Victory - Hop Wallop (Way more hoppy than malty)

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

22oz're into a pint glass.

A: pours a dark golden/amber color with not much head at all. (May have been a little too conservative of a pour on my behalf)

S: Deep hops and citurs odor,

T: Disappointing. I got a small hit of hops and kept waiting for it to keep coming... but alas, nothing. Then a strong soap taste hit my tongue out of nowhere.

M: Smooth, little carbination, but the soap taste made it oily to me.

D: I'll sit out the next round. The total lack of hops even for a regular IPA and the soapy taste really disappointed me. (I love the regular Lagunitas IPA, go figure)

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company