Maximus | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 5,552 |  Reviews: 1,553
2.75/5  rDev -31.1%

22oz're into a pint glass.

A: pours a dark golden/amber color with not much head at all. (May have been a little too conservative of a pour on my behalf)

S: Deep hops and citurs odor,

T: Disappointing. I got a small hit of hops and kept waiting for it to keep coming... but alas, nothing. Then a strong soap taste hit my tongue out of nowhere.

M: Smooth, little carbination, but the soap taste made it oily to me.

D: I'll sit out the next round. The total lack of hops even for a regular IPA and the soapy taste really disappointed me. (I love the regular Lagunitas IPA, go figure)

2.78/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Russian River "tion" glass. Couldn't find any dating on the bottle.

Pours a dark honey color and a 1/2 finger head forms, but is gone with the blink of an eye. A nice sporadic lacing is left around the sides of the glass. I smell apricots, bitter hops, grassy notes, and alcohol. I taste notes of malt, malt, and more malt. I catch a bitter backbone from the hops, but this one isn't very balanced. This beer isn't very crisp and the carbonation is just ok. Overall this beer just doesn't do it for me. I would say DIPA is my favorite style and this is trailing way behind the rest of the class.

2.79/5  rDev -30.1%

Very clear orange, a little carbonation and an off-white head that fades quickly to leave merely a fringe around the outside of the glass.

Damp socks, orange peel, and alcohol. I suspect already that this may be a bad and/or lightstruck bottle.

Very bitter, not really any citrus or floral hops. Just bitter. I think this might be an English IIPA. I know that's not really a style but it's what first comes to mind. Alcohol is there, and some honey.

Mouthfeel is quite good. Medium/Light body and appropriate carbonation. Not super easy drinking. Super bitter and kind of tough to get down tbh.

2.79/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Ok, this was the first DIPA I have ever tried. Maybe it is an acquired taste as for me, someone that normally drinks bocks/ales in the cooler months and hefeweizen/lagers in the wamer months, this just tasted...rank.

I cracked open the bottle acquired from the San Mateo BevMo and poured it out into a glass to enjoy with my In N Out Double Double Animal Style and Fries. Just to make sure the food didn't taint the tasting experience I made sure to take several tastes of the beer prior to chowing down. As mentioned this was my first DIPA, and I have had Lagunitas IPA many times and really enjoyed it, so this was a big disappointment. The taste uncomfortably hinted at stomach acid. Being loathe to waste beer, I willed myself to finish the bottle, but I was happy to be done with it.

Note that I did try Pliny the Elder the following day (right at the source, on tap, in Russian River's Brewpub in Santa Rosa) and didn't find it much better, so I can only assume that I skew towards the malty side of beer preference.

Almost any beer I had while in Germany (kolsch, lager, bock, weizen) kicks this beers ass.

2.8/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Admittedly, I am not a fan of most of Lagunitas products I have already tried. I seriously tried to approach this beer with an open mind, as many have told me it is an excellent DIPA. I poured the 22 oz bomber into my pint glass (most of the bomber, anyway) and noted a light copper color, with reddish hues. Very little lacing after an offwhite 1/2" head.

Aromas wafting up into my nose- major grapefruity smell, not really citrusy - flat out grapefruit, with a little pine to follow, plus a sweet malty smell, way down in there. Not bad as an aroma goes, but wish there was more piney aroma up front.

First sip was a hard hitting hops attack to the tongue, but not to my liking, despite being a hophead and DIPA fan first and foremost. I guess I'm just not a fan of the way Lagunitas does their hopping. The taste seemed like someone dumped grapefruit juice into my beer, just like thier IPA. Only now, it is much more juice, to make it a double. Just not my deal. No real balance in the middle of the sip and the end left my tongue dry, almost scratchy feeling - a grassy ending.

Mouthfeel - well, let's just say it wasn't the best. Thumper's rule, after all. But hell, this is a review, and I should be brutally honest, right. Mouthfeel was really light for a DIPA in body, and flavor was so overly hoppy (and not with hops I care for) that I didn't really enjoy my beer the way I had hoped I would.

Drinkability - As a single IPA it would be ok, although too high in alc%age. Still, not real drinkable for me, as it wasn't my type of DIPA.

2.82/5  rDev -29.3%

OK, if a bottle has a picture of a dog on it, it automatically gets a point taken off. Thankfully, Lagunitas opted to go for the plain white label with this one, though I am about willing to take a point off for the stupid, wanna-be clever diatribe on the back of the bottle.
OG=1.080, 72.41 IBU, 7.5% ABV.

Slightly cloudy orange brew forms a nice-sized white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is pungent with grapefruit, sharp citric hops, with cloaked, faint suggestions of oranges, apples, and toasty grains. Carbonation is moderate. Taste begins with over the top citric hops with semisweet pale and crystal malts, followed by a lightly toasted, intensely bitter dry finish. This is an example of dumping a ton of hops into a brew and calling it an IPA, throwing balance and drinkability to the wind. The dry mouthfeel and overzealous acidity give me a bad case of reflux, but at least the zesty burps make up for it. Typical West-Coast over the top hop taste, but absolutely horrible drinkability.

If they spent as much time on their brewing as they did on their prose, they might be able to eek a winner out of this train-wreck of a beer.

2.82/5  rDev -29.3%

This is a different one...

Poured out and it looked like an IPA, smelled it, didn't smell like an IPA. It kinda smells like raisins or some weird grape-y type smell. The taste is not an IPA taste, it's got some bitter sting to it and an interesting malt backbone. To me it doesn't taste like an IPA, and it's not that tasty of a beer. I appreciate a brewer trying to push the style in a direction different from the norm, but for me this one doesn't get it done.

If you are into more malty less hoppy IPA styles, you might enjoy giving it a whirl.

2.83/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured into a snifter on 7/11/12

Deep, clear tangerine/orange hue. A two finger head falls quickly, leaving a thinner layer of soapy foam and some drippy lace.

The aroma is grapefruit, pine, sprinkles of lemon zest, doughy sugar cookie and sweet bread. An air of alcohol is present throughout. Tropical notes become more apparent as the beer warms.

Dank hop notes of bitter citrus and pine take hold of the palate. While there is a fair amount of hop grit, overall bitterness is kept in check. Malts are stronger than I prefer, but aren't too distracting because they have a dry cracker flavor as opposed to, say, caramel. Some alcohol, too.

The body isn't particularly heavy; the it's more of a medium feel than a full feel. That said, the oily hops mix with alcohol slickness making the perceived feel dense than it truly is. Carbonation is a hair on the low side of average; it's puffy.

I'm surprised the alcohol is as apparent as it is. Not too shabby overall, but a few tweaks in the appreciable alcohol department could make it considerably better.

2.87/5  rDev -28.1%

Hazy golden color with a large pillowy beige head. This one was overcarbonated and left clumps of lace ... tons of sediment on bottom of bottle. Flowery, piney, sprucey hop aroma dominates and you can tell by the aroma to prepare for bitterness. All hop (pine, spruce) flavor with little malt character to balance -- very bitter! Seems light bodied due to carbonation and has an intense bitter finish.

I've had before and noted then that this one is very bitter all around... not my type of brew but drink fresh if having again (which I prob will since my wife loves it)...

Per label: "Unlimited Release", 72.41 IBU, 1.080 O.G.

Purchased: 02/14/03 ('02' Emb on bottom)
Tasted: 07/27/04

($5.39 / 22 oz. bottle)

2.88/5  rDev -27.8%

2.89/5  rDev -27.6%

I've tried a few Lagunitas' recently but nothing could prepare me for this! I now know why I like the Belgian darks.
This poured an ultra clear beautiful burnt orange tint w/ a dissipating head. Quite odd considering the glass was sterile and the ale was cold-couldn't find a fresh date anywhere.
The smell was almost odoriferous with a tinge hint of machine oil. Hops "a-plentiful" in the bouquet alone.
The taste was extremely sharp and bitter. If you can get through the initial hoppiness, there's a very good taste behind it all. The hops diminish towards the end allowing you to enjoy some of the hidden background flavors. Mouthfeel is difficult to describe but I'll try. Imagine having 10 cotton balls in your mouth soaked in tincture methiolade and crushed aspirin<<best I could do!
Even though I was a little rough on this one I can see myself trying another some day. This is definitely a one bottle/sitting DIPA.
On second thought, after finishing this, I would probably pass on consuming again.
If you can work through the bitters, there's a decent beverage underneath.

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

The colour is pale amber (15 EBC), the liquid is clear. The two finger head sinks quickly leaving some lacing.

The smell is quite strong. It is smooth and hoppy with dry notes of dried exotic fruits, citric fruits and peels. Some sweet caramel and a touch of leather. Tired bitter flavours in the background.

The taste is medium bitter with fruity hop flavours. Orange juice made from concentrate, some apricots and plums. Medium to full body. The aftertaste is surprisingly dry with dried fruits, thick and sweet malty flavours and some green bananas. The finish is dry and light with some citric fruits, dough and green bananas.

The carbonation is medium to mild, the bubbles small. The liquid is a bit thick.

I got this bottle straight from the Swedish importer two days ago. And although I normally don’t notice tiredness in American hop bombs as my friends tend to do, I must say this one was too tired and old.

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

Bomber poured into a pint glass. Deep golden orange color, with quite a bit of yeast floating around. Big tan head, very sticky. Aroma is sweet and caramel malty, with juicy citrus that tends towards sweet rather than sharp/bitter. As a fan of dry and bitter IPAs, this isn't looking good so far. Flavor confirms my suspicions, as this beer is kind of a gooey mess of crystal malt and candied fruit. Totally disregards the tenets of attenuation and drinkability.

2.9/5  rDev -27.3%

light carbonation, amber/orange color, not much of a head. hoppy aroma, kind of pick some cinnamon? 'flavor, hpos of copurse, bitter but not overly, some malt sweetness. I was looking forward to trying the Lagunitas brand of beers but am pretty dissapointed in this.

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%

Clear and medium-light amber with one finger of head, lowish retention.

A faint and ghostly prick of starthistle wafts up, but is overall far less assertive than I'd expected...

The hop flavor is certainly more present, broader, and more nuanced than the aroma had implied, but it still falls a bit short. Behind that, the malt body is scant and simplistic.

Overall, an underwhelmer of a DIPA. Feels insubstantial in the mouth, and doesn't do much in the way of hop flavor and aroma. Drinkable, but a waste of time when there are so many better beers out there...

2.91/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: pours a very nice deep gold clear liquid with a nice head with substantial retention. A very attractive beer in appearance.

S: strong scent. Floral hops with grass and pine wood-chips. Impossible to ignore, it makes you excited for the first sip.

T: falls incredibly far from expectations. A strong soapy taste dominates the whole experience. Sweet and sour flavors taste stale (and this bottle is well within date of freshness) and rancid. It blends right into the bitterness that you want from the hops, but the flavors never separate out, ruining the whole mouth. Not impressed.

M: medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: again, despite the Lagunitas hype- really not impressed. While the alcohol content is well masked, this beer is unbalanced and overpowering in a way that lingers.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

bottles from Beerlando and Liquid solutions. This one from L.S.
Pours clear amber with a nice offwhite and lasting head in a tulip. Smell is caramel mostly and a slighty hoppy twinge to it, but it is very understated for a double IPA. Perhaps the hops have just faded. Flavors of caramel and tea like hops. Mild bitterness, thin, yet syrupy sweet at times. Decent, I guess, but needs more hops, unless this is an old bottle...

2.94/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Lovely dark amber color with a big pile of foam in the Peroni Lager glass. Lacing and froth galore. Peculiar old fruit aroma.

If I am the only person in the BA world who tastes onions in this, I will spank my tongue. This is just the most peculiar DIPA I have ever tasted. Apricot jam and concrete dust. Woody and bitter.

From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Liticker's Liquor in San Diego. I looked at the Julian date on the neck-- 043 5 1. I hope that's 2015 and not 2011.

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Gotta conference call to sit in on in 13 minutes so HURRY....pours a slighty ruddy amber with no real head at all. Almost no carbonation either, means this probably is pretty syrupy, uh oh....Something almost caustic in the nose, like paint thinner. Lots of hops also. And some skunky Mary Jane notes also. Flavor is bright and crisp, and fairly sweet without being cloying. Not sure about this one...Finish is dry and bitter in a good way, but doesn't make up for the overall problems here. Usually pretty well-priced, so if you see it maybe try it.

2.97/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Like a lot of lagunitas beers, it sits bitter too long in the after taste. Would rather have a stronger boozy or malt taste. Continue to be surprised they are such a revered brewery...best thing about this beer is the appearance, pours beautifully in a glass.

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company