Lagunitas Imperial Stout | Lagunitas Brewing Company

2010 8.2% abv

Added by kbub6f on 08-31-2001

Ratings: 2,108 |  Reviews: 698
3.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: This beer had the appearance of a great stout. A deep dark brown that was complemented with a lighter froathy head of about a cm and a half. The head did dissolve quicker than I a had hoped and didn't allow for the creamy head mustache I like for at least the first few sips.

Smell: Roasted coffe beans, espresso, cherries, bittersweet chocolate,

Taste: Roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, Espresso, and then it ends with a bit of a sweet cherry undertone. It really itsn't that creamy for a stout, but it even lacks a little bit of complexity with the hops. Knowing laganitas brewing company. I was super excited to try their imperial stout becauase they are usually so good with their full bodied malt combinations, but I felt they could have better with this one.

M: it left me with a bit of a dry mouth. It did not quench my thirst but rather a alcholic after burn that made me want to drink more just to get that taste out of my mouth. I think they should have added more vanilla or toffee or something to make it smoother

O: I mean it was good, but I was expecting greatness from lagunitas because of their other beers having such a well balance hop and malt combination, which I thought would come through especially well in a imperial stout. Still it was a solid beer, but just a little expensive for the other options out there

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

4.31/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer. Very smooth, yet strong chocolate notes mixed with a very high ABV. Initial taste is very strong stout taste with a great chocolate follow, almost some cherry notes mixed in.

Not a very high retention beer, but leaves a great mark. Probably the best bomber that I could buy for $4.95. I'll continue buying this beer because of the fantastic taste mixed with the unreal price.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was excited to try this beer because I love imperial stouts but I think this one was missing something. It tasted like it wasn't aged long enough but hey what do I know.

Appearance - 3.50 - This beer is a nice dark brown almost black color with a light khaki head of loose bubbles that dissipates quickly. Head leaves no lacing. Pours like soda.

Smell - 4.00- Roasted, chocolate, coffee, espresso, vanilla, dark fruits, great smelling beer.

Taste - 4.00 - A lot of roasted malts, coffee, espresso, a little bit of chocolate, raisin bread. Not very complex at all. No real creaminess, dark fruits not really present. I'm starting to realize why this Imperial Stout is so much cheaper than the others. It lacks maturity.

Mouthfeel - 3.75 - This beer is like wearing an Imperial Stout condom. There's no change in the sensation with the exception of THE COMPLETE LACK OF IT. It just tastes light for an imperial stout, leaves a very light roasty aftertaste, has no alcohol warmth at all (I guess a good thing for newbs?). It's lacking.

Overall - 3.75 - This is being generous. I have an issue with breweries that I know use advanced techniques that I can't accomplish in my own home with a 5 gallon plastic bucket and a brew pot, who still come out with beer that's equal to my quality. This beer is a great example. At least Lagunitas has Hop Stoopid so it has one affordable beer to compare to top ranking beers.

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Poured a very dark brown. Two finger tan head that sucks around for 5 minutes and leaves a good lacing down the glass.

S: Milk chocolate, raisin, coffee, cinnamon, slight tobacco.

T: Toffee, chocolate, roasted malts, raisin, black pepper.

M: Smooth, wet, carbonation is light once poured, but enough to bring out the aroma.

O: Fantastic stout for the price! If you know of a better stout that I can find in Cali for $5 a bomber, please let me know.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - poured pitch black with slight ruby highlights and a massive 3+ finger dark tan head. Head was a really thick creamy texture and lasted a bit leaving lots if sticky lacing behind. Really great looking overall.

S - notes of black malt, coffee, chocolate, roasted malt smokiness. Nice piney hop notes wafting through. Subdued but present alcohol, a pleasant fruityness as it warms with notes of raisin and toffee.

T - Lagunitas can't part with their hops. Flavoring hops are present with piney notes along with the dark stout character of roasted malt, coffee and bakers chocolate. Finishes nice and bitter with a contrasting sweetness from the malt and ample IBUs. nice balance in the end, maybe a little heavy handed with hops up front, but I like the very American interpretation at the RIS.

M - thick with ample carbonation for the style, goes down really smooth the 9.9 % is surprisingly not noticeable.

O - this scores big points for value, and sticking to Lagunitas's style of hop heavy handed-ness, providing an experience that can be enjoyed again and again with reasonable availabilty and price. I think that this is an RIS I would opt not to cellar, the high hop aromas and flavors stick about from the standard heavy malt roastyness of the many examples of the style out there and make this unique.

Lagunitas Imperial Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company