High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Formerly ScareCity #3: High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout

Up until this brew, none of Lagunitas’ barrel-aged adventures ever made it to shelves. They’ve been super-limited draft-only releases. This time we’ve made enough to actually bottle some … The 100% barrel-aged 2015 High West-ified Coffee Stout. Ale brewed with Coffee from our friends at Petaluma Coffee & Tea, then aged in Rye Whiskey barrels from our friends at High West Distillery in Park City, Utah … barrels that held High West’s Double Rye and American Prairie Bourbon, to be exact. Cheers!

Added by jhartley on 12-24-2014

Reviews: 318 | Ratings: 1,825
1.59/5  rDev -63.8%

Pretty bad, as much as it pains me to say it.
But I can't even be mad, I paid 12$ for an entire 6 pack.
They must have known they messed up with this one.

Look: Starts off innocently enough... pours a dark brown, almost pitch black coca-cola color with a one finger beige head.

Aroma: Tons of alcohol... lots of sweet chocolate and vanilla.

Taste: Disgusting. I don't drain pour but god damn it's time like these I wish I did.
Alcohol is right up in your face with an unpleasant burning sensation. Flavor is like Hersey's syrup and vanilla extract mixed with soy sauce complemented by a nasty, buttery aftertaste. Has an acrid, sour taste on the tail end. I thought this was a coffee stout? Where's the coffee? Tastes like someone dumped two shots of rye and half a finger of chocolate syrup into my stout.

Feel: Hot and unpalatable, incredibly sweet with absolutely no hops to balance out the sweetness. Slimy and sickly sweet with low carbonation.

Overall: Lagunitas has incredible skill at crafting IPAs and that's what I know them for. Coming from a big fan of the brewery and someone with a bottle of High West Campfire sitting right next to me on my desk, this is abhorrent. What the hell were they thinking when they bottled this?

Edit: I've heard rumors some batches of this were infected. Hoping this was the case with my experience. I wouldn't mind trying it again, so I'll keep my eyes open for this in the hopes the next six pack I buy is untainted.

2.55/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: looks like a cola in the glass. A vigorous swirl produces a thin film of head that dissipates quickly.

S: very little to speak of. Some vanilla and alcohol. There is an off smell here-subtle but present.

M: medium bodied. A dry, astringent feel washes over on the mid palate and finish.

T: my suspicions from the smell are are confirmed-this beer is infected. Dark, sour cherries and unripe blackberries dominate. There is an interplay with the sour fruits and a harsh metal flavor that tastes like galvanized steel...there is also a rust-like component. There is some vanilla and faint coffee in the background. Dark malt is almost absent.

O: worse than bad. $14.99 down the drain, but the real loss is that I don't get to drink this beer this year...at least as it was intended to be consumed. This is my third beer in the six pack-and the last one that I will drink. Each drinking experience has regressed with each beer, which makes me think this batch is total loss This six pack was purchased at the total wine in Virginia Beach, Virginia about two weeks ago. there are no discernible batch or date markings on the bottles or the six pack. I had last year's version in a bomber and it was spectacular.

3.32/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Interesting aroma of raspberries and dark cherries. Not much of the coffee I got with the non barrel version. Goes down fairly smooth. Flavors combine sweet and bitter notes, but the coffee simply doesn't stand up to the barrel. Dark fruits again. Some heat from the rye whiskey. Overall, I expected more and I'm a little sad:(

3.4/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Currently #231 in the Top 250 list. I nabbed a sixer at a Whole Paycheck in Manhattan for $15.00. Initial impressions below:

"2016 OneHitter Series High West-Ified Imperial Coffee Stout." "Aged in High West(TM) Rye Barrels."

BOTTLE: 12 fl oz. Brown glass. Standard Lagunitas label design. Iconic branded green pry-off crown cap.

12.20% ABV.

APPEARANCE: Head is ~5-6cm in height and of khaki/pale tan colour. Head could be richer, more robust, and better coloured (a gilded rich tan with a shining complexion would be a step up). Somewhat creamy, somewhat soft. There's room for improvement there. Uneven lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body is predictably an opaque black.

True to style, but not unique or special. The head retention (~5 minutes) is pretty good considering the high ABV.

AROMA: Bourbon isn't shy in this aroma. Vanilla (vanillin) jumps out along with oak. No toasted coconut or rich white oak, but the bourbon is present - and that's sadly more than I can say about many bourbon barrel aged beers. On the other hand, rye whiskey has a signature spiciness to it, but frankly that doesn't come through aromatically.

The base beer seems standard judging by the aroma...some dark malt sweetness, some specialty chocolate malts, faint roasted barley maybe...I honestly wouldn't figure this for a coffee stout in a blind tasting (smelling?). There's just no coffee aroma whatsoever.

While both barrel and base leave much to be desired in terms of complexity and vividness aromatically, I'm hopeful the taste will deliver a bit more. Aromatic intensity is somewhat low for a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout, but there's nothing off (no off-notes, no booze, no overt hoppy or yeasty notes). Suggests a simple but balanced basic bourbon barrel stout that wants for the rye whiskey and coffee it's advertised as containing.

TASTE & TEXTURE: A bit silky, with a nice softness and almost perfect carbonation to it. Full-bodied yet smooth and wet, never feeling too heavy or overbearing on the palate. Not syrupy or sticky, to its credit, but also not gooey (which would play to the bourbon a bit more).

There's some acidity on the finish, which is - frankly - the only evidence I find of coffee at all. The power of suggestion is strong, but as much as I search for coffee - even generic shallow coffee flavour - I just don't find it. There's a bit of roasted barley and that aforementioned acidity, but I wouldn't conflate that and true coffee. In a beer purported to be amongst the best 250 in the world, I'd expect not only present coffee, but rich roasty java with identifiable richness and flavour; that just plain isn't the case here.

The base beer is pretty generic, to be honest. Dark malt sweetness, chocolate malts, a hint of vanilla (or maybe that's just the oak-derived vanillin from the bourbon barrel).

Speaking of the barrel character - it's well integrated. Almost seamlessly so. But it's also reticent, lacking the vivid expressive notes that make it impressive when a bourbon barrel flavour melts into a base beer. Lagunitas plays it close to the cuff, throwing out some oak and vanillin but not going for rich toasted coconut or toasted white oak or barrel char or the like. And as for the rye whiskey? This is bourbon through and through; I find none of rye whiskey's signature spiciness, and I'd be surprised if educated drinkers could find it consistently in a blind tasting.

Like the aroma, the flavour is wanting in terms of intricacy, subtlety, depth, and vividness. The base beer seems a bit basic, but it's well balanced, and the barrel character is reticent. I don't need huge bold flavours in an imperial stout, but one does expect a bit more than this offers. It lacks the complexity of even the best non-barrel aged imperial stouts and porters, and one wonders who would reach for this when it's on the same shelf as the likes of Ballast Point's Victory At Sea, Victory's Storm King, or even North Coast's Old Rasputin. Sure, this has balance to offer, but the limb can't snap if you don't go out on it.

OVERALL: A competent bourbon/whiskey barrel aged stout from Lagunitas, but I honestly hoped for better. Stouts have never been Lagunitas' strong suit, and this is no exception - though it is the best "dark beer" they've done, by my estimation. Well worth trying and I'll happily finish the 6 pack, but where's the coffee? Where's the whiskey? $15 a sixer is pretty good for a barrel aged stout, but I'd take many regular imperial stouts over this. Surprisingly simplistic.

The vanillin is the standout, shallow though it is. And hot damn is that ABV dangerously well-hidden.

High B- (3.45) / WORTHY

***
12.05.16 2nd impression:

The coffee is there, the bourbon/whiskey less so. Indeed, the barrel character is quite wanting. For the price, this is pretty good stuff, and I'm glad Lagunitas didn't go the 22oz cash-grab format route. But it's not dazzling.

B- / WORTHY

3.61/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

so I usually hate barrel aged stuff but when you find a rare one you gotta get it. pour is nice black with good coffee head. nose is some coffee with hard booze prevelant. taste is coffee up front with a little bit of dryness. woody whiskey follows but not overpowering. toasted nuts seem to follow with little alcohol burn despite the high abv. while the hard booze is not overpowering as some offerings its still pretty evident with me. it's ok but the liquor flavor ruins it for me. better than kbs or goose island but not for me. ill give my other bottle away.

3.63/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Hat Tavern in the Grand Summit Hotel. Pours a jet-black, ebony hue with moderate frothing. Strong nuances of cocoa, espresso, and chocolate. Similar taste profile. Boozy.

3.65/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color, bordering on pitch-black. The head is three fingers high and mocha in shade. Retention is pretty solid for the gravity, but what's more impressive is the texture: creamy yet consistent, leaving behind plenty of lacing on the glass. (4)

Smell: This seems rather mild for 12%. Still, I do pick up both black coffee and rye barrel notes. There's nothing really wrong with the nose at all, but it's far too weak for a 12% barrel-aged monster. I expected more from this. (3.25)

Taste: It starts off with a combination of rye barrel and cream, with a subtle appearance of milk chocolate. Coffee flavors only appear on the finish and aftertaste, embellished by subtle nutty hints. Still, it really does drink like a good cappuccino that has a shot of rye whiskey. The general flavors are all balanced well, though it could use a bit more roasted malt for my personal taste. (3.75)

Mouthfeel: Wow, this is so damn easygoing for 12%. It doesn't have the fullest body for the style, but it's nice and creamy regardless. Carbonation is pretty low, so it can get a bit syrupy. Hey, it's 12%, who cares? (3.75)

Overall: I really like this beer a lot. It's reasonably well distributed, inexpensive for the standards of the style, and easy to drink. A 97, though? I'm not quite so sure - it lacks the 'pop' of the best examples of the style. Nonetheless, it's another solid Lagunitas offering, and I'm glad I got more than a single bottle. (3.75)

3.65/5: My first barrel-aged beer from Lagunitas, and it's a good'un

3.74/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The two best things this beer does well is hides the ABV completely, and it's price point. It's easy to let that $8.99 sway ratings some.

Otherwise, there's no real body in comparison to the heavy hitters and overly discussed counterparts of this same style. The bourbon component is almost watery. In both the nose & the taste. Not sure if that's due to the barrels or a shorter amount of time in the barrels, or due to the base beer. Also a bit scratchy and ashy. Almost prickly. Possibly due to the rye, the coffee, or both. Vanilla stands out nicely however with everything else going on with it. Nothing too silky or smooth about this one however...

Strange. Because the last time I had their Cappuccino Stout aged in Rye Bourbon at the source in Petaluma, I couldn't get enough. Not the same beer obviously but I guess my expectations were a little too high. If BCBCS & KBS is the epitome of the style, I'm baffled why this keeps an average above 4 for the style minus the great value. SN Maple Stout is everything this beer aspires to be. I say that because everything I feel this beer is missing is in that beer...

Wish I would have spent a bit more and grabbed another Parabola.

3.76/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fluid oz bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
2015
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a dark brown/black but rather thin for the style. A tight, frothy, one-finger tall, cappuccino colored crown topped the shimmery liquid. Drippy streaks of lacing coated the glass. The head faded to thick, bubbly, lasting ring.

The aroma was rich and robust and consisted of an equal mix of roasted malts, dark roast coffee and bourbon. Slightly sweet. Brown sugar was noticeable. Some caramel, burnt sugar and molasses came through as well. Interesting overall, but not as intense as I was hoping it would be, especially with regard to the coffee. As the beer warmed, the aroma really intensified. Powdered cocoa came forth. Very mocha-like. Loads of vanilla as well.

The flavor profile was super roasty and hot. Deep, dark, roasted malts and French roast coffee came through strong. There was a much stronger coffee presence here than in the aroma. Loads of roast and char. Touch of brown sugar. The beer finished with an intense, whiskey-like kick and lingering ashy notes. Slightly acrid. Earthy hops trailed in the aftertaste.

The body was quite thin for the style, yet the liquid was surprisingly frothy and fluffy. Pillowy soft on the palate. The beer contained a super fine, moderate effervescence.

High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout tastes much more raw and unrefined than I typically like an imperial stout to be. Some aging might mellow the alcohol sharpness, but it will likely subdue the coffee notes as well. Fans of rye whiskey should perhaps give this a try, especially at its price point. For others, however, I would recommend passing on it.

3.79/5  rDev -13.7%

A: [4.50] Gave it an aggressive pour that yielded 1 1/2 fingers of head. The head is dense and creamy. The head is tan colored. I get very little light penetration through the beer. It is completely black. The bottle lists the ABV (12.0%). The date code translates to (02/13/2015).

S: [3.00] I could smell the beer at arms length right when I poured it. Thick bourbon scent with alcohol. the booze is drowning out all of the yummy chocolate and coffee. I am getting none of that on the nose.

T: [4.00] Magically there is no booze in the taste. i am getting coffee. Sweet malts across the middle. A touch of charring.

M: [4.50] The body is creamy and full. Coats the tongue. The alcohol is not present in the taste or mouth but you feel it a bit in the throat.

O: [3.75] This is on the very high end for me. Barrel aged beers tend to be a turn off. They get too boozy. When I hit the nose on this I was concerned that is the direction things were going. But the taste and mouthfeel are much better than the nose. Nice dark roasted coffee flavors. Velvety coating on the tongue. If the booze was hidden more on the nose I would rate this higher. This one benefits hugely from warming. It became more coffee forward and the mouthfeel was even better. But the nose was still too boozy. Given the whopping ABV there are more enjoyable coffee stouts at 1/2 the ABV.

3.82/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Motor oil pour with a large, dense, frothy, dark tan head.

Smell is acidic, sharp coffee, roasty and slightly tangy/slightly metallic malt, with dark milk chocolate and a hint of blueberry and wet wood.

Taste is tangy, roasty malt, again slightly metallic, or is that a slight sting of hops? Some oak, bourbon, and raisin then emerges, finishing mildly warm. Coffee is present but takes a backseat in flavor, as such, this is not much different than KBS, except it's a lot easier to get countrywide, and way cheaper!

Mouthfeel has a lot of froth and is very fluffy, but is not heavy or viscous, with a medium body and a semi-dry finish.

3.83/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip appears black in color with a brown head that fades leaving a full wall of lace.

It smells of chocolate, coffee, citrus, booze and earth. Taste brings forth coffee, chocolate, oak, booze, caramel, vanilla, slight herbal almost green character with lingering earthy bitterness and char.

This is medium in body with modest carbonation. Its nice but didplays some roughness around the edges that are green.

3.84/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice sized head accompanies near black body. Aroma of coffee grinds, cocoa, bourbon. Taste molasses, chocolate, not as strong coffee as I'd have expected. Aftertaste not as sweet as I imagined, nearly bitter. Mouthfeel bit thin for Imperial stout of this ABV. Recent Goose Island stout tastings probably biased me against this a little as it doesn't compare. Still a good imperial stout however.

3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

650 mL bottle. Black body. Khaki head. Heavy rye whiskey aroma. Fruity. Coffee. Booze. Taste is much more coffee forward. Rich coffee. Chocolate. Rye whiskey is even more distinctive. Bitter and boozy finish. Heavy and rich. Well carbonated. Boozy. Delicious. A little too acidic and fruity from the coffee and whiskey, but it's very good.

3.89/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours with little fanfare, dark brownish black color. No lace, very little foam, just a brief puff of foam when poured.

Aroma of autolysed yeast, faint woodiness, round malt toastiness, whiskey. No coffee or subtlety, but it's decent.

Taste is pretty good, raisin, wet wood, coffee, whiskey, roast malt lingering in the aftertaste. Body is unfortunately thin and the feel is hot. Would rather drink whiskey with a coffee stout chaser. This is an off kilter marriage that doesn't quite coalesce. Flavors are good, the body and aroma just aren't quite matching up. Overall its worth a try, not worth going out of your way.

3.92/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown look with tan head. Smells of coffee with a hint of bourbon. Lots of coffee and roastiness in the taste--not too sweet. Overall, just okay in my book (and rating to style). There are definitely better BA stouts out there, although it is really nice this comes in 6 packs of 12ozers for a decent price (higher "overall" score because of that).

3.94/5  rDev -10.3%

Dark black with low carbonation, Dark coffee and vanilla smell, dry coffee flavor with distinct rye notes, heavy body, great flavor for a 12.9% can only handle a little bit.

3.94/5  rDev -10.3%

Solid BA beer, but lacking in body and finish. Just not enough there. This seems like a safe bet from a brewery that does well in this style but does not necessarily excell. Glad to see the ABV was not out of control.

3.96/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

appearance- Black color with three inch tan head.

aroma- Lots of boozy sweetness, vanilla, and chocolate.

taste- Starts off with a really chewy/ thick feel with milk chocolate, a little rye spice, and vanilla. The barrel booziness is much more subdued in the flavor. The finish sees a little bit of coffee/roasted malts, but finishes sweet with that creamy chocolate/vanilla combo. The rye barrel leaves a dry finish as well.

feel- Medium/high carbonation, full bodied, thick, chewy, and creamy.

overall- Very good for the style. Big flavor with a ton of chocolate and vanilla. The barrel and coffee flavors are there, however, they're a little subdued. Despite that, the price is great and the flavor is very good overall.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance is a small, thick, long lasting head, little lace, and an opaque brown black. Aroma is a very mild coffee and malt. Flavor's sweet, malty, with some carbonic tang up front and some boozy bitter in the back. Some off notes in the finish and in the palate. I think this will get much better with age.

Pouring the 22 oz bomber into a small snifter. Very little tan bubbled lace atop a opaque black brew. Aroma has plenty of oak whiskey barrel atop a dark roasted coffee/malt. Taste is heavy on the whisky flavor. It's a bit boozy but not overly hot. I don't get a ton of coffee flavor. Seems more normal Big stouty with a decently heavy roasted dark malt flavor. Mouthfeel is silky with a bit of an acrid finish to go with some alcohol warmness.
Overall this is a tasty sipper. The strength is noticeable but it's an enjoyable brew nonetheless.

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks mang!

Dark brown body with a thin ring of beige head. Grandiose bourbon aroma. Oak, chocolate, roast. Medium / thick body. Smells and tastes similar to the FiftyFifty High West stout. Coffee notes throughout, though bourbon leads the way.

4.02/5  rDev -8.4%

On tap at Isaac Newton's in Newtown, PA during Lagunitas tap takeover. Served in a tulip glass with nice frothy head. Dark brown color with nice smooth feel. Not too much of a coffee flavor.

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a black color with a creamy beige head that settled into a thick ring around the glass.

The aroma is strong on the whiskey. Sweet vanilla notes with a tart cherry fruitiness. I don't really pick up much coffee in the nose.

The taste is also big on the whiskey but a bit more mellow in the flavor. Sour cherry, vanilla and caramel pop through and the brew finishes with a roasted flavor. There is some coffee there but it really doesn't stand out.

The beer has a full feel with soft carbonation. Very mellow on the palate. Its sweet and roasty. Quite sticky and a bit boozy in the finish.

Its a very nice barrel aged brew. The rye whiskey really stands out but doesn't overwhelm. I really don't get much coffee though.

4.04/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Lagunitas's High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout. 12% ABV.

A: Pours a nice, rich brown. Just over a finger of cocoa brown head. Black in the glass, with more rich brown in the dimple. Slight lacing.

S: Nice bittersweet chocolate aroma, with some slight cocoa. Subtle hint of alcohol heat. Slight medium-dark rye bread note. Slight toast. Slight butter toffee/caramel. Off to a good start, though I don't notice any rye spice. Ever so slight dark roast coffee.

T/MF: Ooh. More mid-dark rye bread with a lovely dark chocolate flavor (just beyond bittersweet). A touch too carbonated for a stout, but that's a small thing. Slight burned toffee and a bit of char. A touch of graphite. I'm thinking the this beer owes more to the barrels than the base. Still, quite nice, especially at a ten dollar price point!

High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company