Olde GnarlyWine | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Barleywine

2011: 10.6% ABV, 69 IBU

Added by Todd on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 1,620 |  Reviews: 736

Deep ruby caramel amber hue wih a khaki head flowing thick and strong. Cloudy head forms nicely and the lacing forms evenly down the sides of my glass, with big occasional chunks of head stickin' around. Aroma super hopped with pine/citrus/earthy qualities abound I understand they use hop extracts at Lagunitas but they are working it in this brew. Super caramel and barley sweet malts going on with a nice wave of hops. Flavor is excellent a nice collision of malt and hops, an onslaught of pine cone accented hop intensity that I frankly love. Straight up west coast aggressive Barleywine that's bringing it for 4.99 a bomber this can't be beat. Mouthfeel is full bodied carbonation is mellow and I can't describe how nice the bitterness it's the palate in the most abusive yet gentle way. Drinkability is great especially with close friends, imagine a nice tenured version of Bigfoot this is it. Bring it on tell your friends, hell tell your mom.

Pours medium brown with red hues. Its blood red when held up to the light. Fantastic tan head with phenomenal retention. Smells is so much like pineapple. A little citrus hops with some brown sugar and caramel sweetness and a bit of maple syrup undertones. In the taste you get sweet maple with some bitter grapefruit. Ending with cooked sweet brown sugar and semi toasty sweet caramel. Mouthfeel is heavenly. Soft, smooth and pleasant. With outstanding carbonation. Holy Sh#$. Fantastic Excellent Amazing beer. No need for aging. This America Barleywine is ready to be drank.

4.96/5  rDev +21.6%

Best six dollars I've spent in a long time

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

I write this having seen nor heard not one other opinion of Olde GnarlyWine. As we tiptoe into spring (Portland had snow today in late March!) I have sampled oodles of great winter warmers and BW's these past blissful couple of months. I believe philosophically in drinking seasonally and winter is the hardest for me to let go.

I have personally logged hundreds of tastings that this good life has offered, but only those given the utmost undivided attention are recorded here, as is the responsibility I feel in the privilege of participating. Often I don't take the time, but I always take it seriously.

I allowed this bomber of Lagunitas' limited release Olde GnarlyWine to come up to celler temp and used my long stem goblet. A rich dark amber body with lively bubbles poured forth with an orange-tinged tan head, smooth and dense, yet not long lived. Not a lot of lacing but very long legs hinting at the high-test viscosity.

The nose was an aria without a soloist. It sang up from a choir with many voices: leather, earthy sweetness, dried fruit, tobacco, chardonnay, cedar. My first sip actually brought the mouthfeel to my attention first. Oily smooth with a very lively carbonation. I brought my palette back into focus: first impression was what I imagined a 100 year old classic port would be. A mellow concoction produced by an old world craftsman aged to perfection. From beginning to end not a single element steps out of line. The vinouos fruit, the sweet peaty malt, the bold hop spice, the warm strength of the fusels; each component supporting the other. Complex and smooth. Balanced. The last room-temp sip just as good as the first. No flaws.

A bit of self-indulgence here, please forgive me. But it is these moments that I search for on my beer journey. A high point that should be noted and remembered. But then again, just my opinion.

From a Growler

A: Dark amber-brown, 1 inch of head; small foam ring with great head retention

S: Strong barley sweetness, just smells delicious; maybe a little citrus.

T: Sweet barley and fruit, mild bitterness on the palate that is softened by some citrus notes on the end.

M: Great mouthfeel smooth and just enough carbonation for a barley wine.

D: Very drinkable, split a growler of it no problem.

4.92/5  rDev +20.6%

Old guardian , and Bigfoot beware!!Lagunitas has made an exceptionally drinkable barleywine! very smooth & sweet. and of course good old California hops !!! clean crisp & piney and lots if brown burnt sugars! and very very smooth. Goes well with some chocolate cheese cake from Cocos! or treat ur self to some Brie cheese and some delicious fig spread!!! from whole foods market it's a beer that is very versitile as far as drinkability and pairing!!!
Amazing beer !!!! go Lagunitas!!! 20 yrs!! The Best 2009 barleywine!

4.9/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite barley wine to date 2015 is good, 2011 is the shiz