CitruSinensis (OneHitter Series) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

CitruSinensis (OneHitter Series)CitruSinensis (OneHitter Series)

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

We took some fresh Sanguinello Blood oranges, juiced 'em, concentrated that juice (without heat) and threw it into a wheatier version of our New Dogtown Pale Ale. The end result? A refreshingly hopped pale-ish ale with a huge citrus burst!

Added by Patches826 on 06-04-2015

Reviews: 281 | Ratings: 1,425
1.71/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

did not enjoy this one at all, tons of sediment and "floaties" when poured into a Glass. weird head that dissipates in some places and retains in others, no lacing. smell was decent, smelled very floral and citrusy, but also smelled of metal/tin. taste was not good and did not follow the smell, almost zero sweetness and all bitterness, especially from the Blood Orange flavor. but it wasn't the west coast hop-bomb bitterness that we all love. not sure if something was wrong with the bottle I got, but this one eventually got drain-poured for me.

2.23/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

Looks really cool, with tons of stuff floating around. Some might object, but I like it.
Smells sweet/bitter/sour, IPA-ish, maybe grapefruit juice.
Tastes too much like a screwdriver (OJ + vodka). I don't like screwdrivers because they make me think of rotten fruit. It doesn't taste much like any traditional pale ale, be it American, British, or Belgian.
Feels like really strong orange drink plus booze and some mild carbonation.
Overall, this was not just gross, but also expensive. I don't know why this has so many positive reviews. I suspect that most Lagunitas fans haven't really explored what else is out there (this is based more on conversations with actual Lagunitas fans than on the beer's bafflingly high score).

All that said, Lagunitas makes the best IPA that you'll find at many a SoCal gas station after 1:00 AM, and their High Westified Rye Ale is an unbeatable value at less than 15 bucks per 22. Unless you're experimenting with extra money, steer clear of this offering.

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

I was disappointed, super hazy deep amber color with lots of floaties, nose wasn't great either, blood orange was prominent, medium mouthfeel, dry finish. Won't be buying again.

2.99/5  rDev -26%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This one didn't do it for meā€¦the nose was promising with some inviting citrus scents but the taste reminds me more of an especially sour grapefruit mixed drink. I could tolerate, or even enjoy the tartness with a thicker mouthfeel and a stronger presence of other flavors, but the product I've tasted is too one-dimensional for me to find much enjoyment in it. Glad I passed on a sixer of this.

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%

Been wanting to try this for over a year now..... So disappointed by this! Aroma is incredible when it's poured into a glass. The taste however is kinda bland, and don't think the blood orange juice added mixed well with pale ale, like your drinking a dog town pale ale with a blood orange juice shot chaser and made the finish almost sour! What a waste of $13! Oh well.

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

Look: Golden orange with a decent head

Smell: Nice orange smell

Taste: Tart citrus, almost like a sour. The body is not big enough for the tartness. Very strong aftertaste.

Feel: Slightly light

Overall: Glad I tried it, but was hoping that I would like it more. Not terrible, but I will not go out of my way to buy more.

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is very juice forward, if that makes any sense. I see and taste the blood orange pulp in the glass. There is a lot of tartness and it is definitely moving into beermosa territory, but sans sweetness. I realize that Crimson Snapper (Pipeworks) added honey to round out their superior citra hops version. Glad I tried, but definitely missing the hops.

3.27/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Clear gold-amber with a nice thick white blanket leaving soft arms on the glass.

This smells like Tang, and that's it.

Taste is orange, tangerine, grapefruit, with no bitterness at all, making the tart citrus seem kind of overboard. A little crackery malt attempts to balance the citrus, but fails.

Frothy, semi-dry.

3.27/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Lagunitas has succeeded in making yet another beer that shares the same nose and flavor profile as the majority of their hoppy lineup. The addition of blood orange juice doesn't do enough for this beer to distinguish it as unique. It's not a bad beer, but it is pretty disappointing.

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale orange, crystal clear with a tightly bubbled head of off white foam that rises up minimally and then settles out quickly. Aroma of scallion and mint, some citrus notes.

Rich flavor of citrus hops, resiny and grainy, but not overpowering. Notes of citrus and honey, some florals and mint, bits of grapefruit. Full mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Hops seem to fade as the glass progresses.

3.35/5  rDev -17.1%

Probably my least favorite beer ever from Lagunitas. The look and aroma are very strong. The flavor off the bat isn't bad either, then the syrup hits. I don't know, the way the blood orange comes through is too syrupy sweet to me. It's a well made beer, just not for me.

3.36/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this beer pours clear light yellow with minimal nose. minimal head. taste is pale malt with some citrus but finishes with some funky sourness. thin mouthfeel. not a fan. I love lagunitas but this misses the mark for me.

3.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Man. Looked great. Smelled great. Started off tasting great, but was very boozy on the back end. Kind of disappointed, honestly. Would not expect or care for it to be that boozy.

3.42/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Did not enjoy this. Reminded me of grapefruit sculpin in a weird pale ale variety. Way overpriced. I normally enjoy Lagunitas' offerings but this doesn't make sense and had a weird unfiltered quality to it.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a calm golden color, with a head which dissipates quite quickly. There is also quite a bit of lacing.

Smells like citrus (no surprise there), exotic fruits, and some floral undertones.

Taste is quite subtle, with a fair amount of citra. However, I consider the taste's defining characteristic to be its saliferous nature - which I really haven't experienced in a beer of this type. Hell, it almost tastes like a fresh-brewed APA had a bastard-son with a gose.

Mouthfeel is light, with little carbonation.

I'm really torn on this, and am sort of dissapointed that I did not pick up a full six-pack as it's going take a while for me to decide whether the oddity of this beer works for me, or if it's too far out there. In the meantime, I'll take the wishy-washy route and limit my verdict to 'interesting, but not fantastic'.

I ended up giving this a 3.45, which is a rating I don't feel good about as I am most certainly going to raise it or lower it once I've pondered on it for a while.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz from the COOP... picked up last week and finally getting to the bottle tonight.. Pours a mostly clear light orange with an okay white head and lacing.. Nose shows orange juice and zest.. beer notes are relatively quiet.. cracker pale malt.. Flavor is pithy citrus zest and the same juicy elements as the aroma.. Bitter as expected and just sorta juicy with little standard "beer" actually tying things together.. Medium body with a burning acidic carbonation... I know I will be in the minority, but I don't care for this one at all.

3.75/3.75/3.25/3.5/3.5

3.49/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a glass. Medium yellow-gold with what appear to be blood orange floated throughout the glass. Not a horrible appearance, but definitely nothing special. Smells like fresh citrus with emphasis on orange. Taste is similar, with a not quite sour note likely from the citric acid. Between that and the crispness, some Berliner Weiss resemblance. Overall, not bad, but nothing fantastic. Lagunitas knew what they were doing making this and then putting it in the one hitter series.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep, slightly clear gold with a mostly white, soapy head that leaves a solid ring when it settles.

Smells like citrus, touch of floral hops, and pale malts.

The first sip is a blast of orange. Very ripe. Like eating the rind and unripened fruit. It is very tart and sour, and sour doesn't bother me. Also tastes like a lemon and lime mix. That signature Lagunitas malt base is there. Very subtle though in this one. It does have some sweetness at the end, like a sugar coated red grapefruit, and the pale malts and some wheat are more noticeable in the aftertaste. I thought the hops bitterness came through a lot more in the aroma, but they could easily be drowned out by the citrus.

It is pretty crisp and carbonated. Fairly light bodied like most pales.

This is not a bad beer by any means, but it is easily my least favorite offering from them to date. Just too much mouth puckering citrus for me.

3.49/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Boise Co-op. Not picking up huge citrus notes, but they're there poking around in the background. Pale golden, with wispy head and streaky lacing. Citrus aroma (OK, there it is), taste brings some crispness and a nice hops bite. Decent pale ale.

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured a nice copper with foamy head, and smelled of a juicy mix of citrus, hops, and bready malt, but the enjoyment wore thinner with every sip. Eventually the blood orange begins to overpower and I just honestly got tired of it.

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Poured a clear gold with a small lasting off white head. Aromas blood orange and grapefruit. Palate was light bodied and smooth with a dry finish. Flavors of blood orange and light grapefruit with a smooth dry bitter lingering blood orange finish.

3.54/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Overall, I thought this was a decent beer. As others have stated, it's cloudy, golden-orange, and pours without much of a head. Aromas are very nice, a great blend of citrus, a bit of pine, and some slight hoppy funkiness. Orange is fairly prominent, but in a pleasing way. Taste leaves a bit to be desired, however. It's nice and hoppy, but the orange barely comes through. For me, there's a lingering sourness that tastes more like orange rind than the flesh of the fruit; I'm not really getting any sweetness. It's a weird combination that doesn't quite work. Definitely drinkable, but still somewhat disappointing given how much I like Lagunitas.

3.56/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was glad to see this again. But wasn't really what I remembered. Perhaps the blood orange in this makes it a bit tart. Yet, still an easy drinker. Surprised it's 7.9%

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from Bert's
Pours a slightly hazy medium gold color with some small floaties and a bubbly off white head that persists. Citrusy as promised with a hint of orange and some light earth mineral water and light sweet bread. Has somewhat of a bitter orange juice feel to it. Interesting beer, I'm glad I tried it, but I'd grab on e of their other beers before I grabbed this again.

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like most Lagunitas offerings, so was excited for this one. I love very strong hoppy IPAs, but the blood orange was overpowering for me, and there wasn't enough else in the self-described wheatier version of New Dogtown Pale Ale (as a base) to make it interesting. Also rather thin, and ultimately forgettable. Glad I got it in a pick 6. But as I love to try new things, I appreciate the effort.

CitruSinensis (OneHitter Series) from Lagunitas Brewing Company