Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Our only Lager, brewed with loads of imported Saaz hops and a bottom-fermenting yeast strain that leaves it Light and Crisp and Easy to Slam, yet full of real flavor and all the things you yearn for.

Added by beertaster13 on 02-17-2002

Ratings: 2,585 |  Reviews: 752
2.16/5  rDev -40.7%

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

a - most people have said this was a clear yellow but the one I just poured is a hazy apricot color. 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Good lacing. Hopefully this isn't a sign that the beer is old :/

s - apple juice with a little bit of hops

t - alcohol taste with pepper and spice with a very bitter finish. Again, I think this beer has something wrong with it.

m - very smooth, not very carbonated

d - The taste was just terrible. I think I got a bad one. I may review it again, but this was a drain pour :(

2.19/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I know I may be in the minority here. But, I have had Czech Style Pilsners in Europe and this was not anything like them. I could have gotten a bad batch, but this beer was just plain awful! It was more malt than hops and had a thickness that does not typify a Czech Pilsner to me. It was not clean and pretty low carbonation. The smell was sweet and did not have that nice sharpness that typify a Pilsner. I had a friend concur just to make sure, neither of us had had this one before but it was not remotely a good tasting beer. I rarely do this but I could not get through this one it tasted so bad. It was like a really cheaply made grain dominant beer with a large amount of malt. If they were trying to make a Czech style Pilsner, this is not one. If I can talk myself into trying this one again I will give it another chance. But, this particular lot was really bad.

2.21/5  rDev -39.3%

V.06
Pale copper with minimal head of tight, spritzy bubbles.
Smell was yeasty and unimpressive.
Taste was a bitter, yeasty/papery mess. Again, unimpressed.
Mouthfeel was sharp, and the bitterness destroyed my tastebuds for the evening, while only having one bottle. Was this a Stone recipe?
Drink again? Hell no. I look to pilsners for refreshment, but this was so far from hitting the mark it's not even funny.

2.24/5  rDev -38.5%

2.24/5  rDev -38.5%

I don't think I would like this beer even if it didn't say czech pilsner on the label. Not only does it not taste like a czech pils, it just doesn't taste good.

Pours nicely enough with a great rich golden color. No head, but this is okay. Aroma is like wet cardboard. I do get a nice saaz hop aroma past the wet cardboard.

A good czech pils to me should be dry and crisp and I find this beer to be overly sweet and the opposite of dry. It's really quite cloying and the flavor follows the aroma.

In essence the beer does have characteristics of a czech pils, bit it is poorly executed.

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

Bottle. Tinny, rusty flavour, bit of saaz and grainy malts, not much else though, short finish. I really wasn't a fan of Lagunitas, perhaps their beers are better on tap, i don't know, but all the bottled version i had while in the US were a little underwhelming. Dissapointing.

2.28/5  rDev -37.4%

Reviewed on 8/24/08. Bottle. Pours a clear gold with a small white head. Aroma of stale wheat and lager malts. Flavor is wheaty with some light fruits. But mostly this just tastes like stale wheat and I didn't like it at all. I didn't get this one...
5/3/4/3/12 (2.7/5)

2.34/5  rDev -35.7%

Suffered through this with William Pang (Queens, NY).

Pours out with very minimal head and, no lie, absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

Smells of bready malt but mostly reminds me of the cheap college beers (natural light, miller lite, coors light, etc.) in that there is a strong corn profile.

The taste is, unfortunately, much the same as the smell. Lots of bready malt flavor, but also a lot of similarities with the cheap beers.

Feels very thin and carbonated in the mouth, washes down easily.

If it wasn't for the unpleasant similarities with Coors Light, this would be very drinkable, as it is very thin and refreshing.

2.39/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Not great. Not terrible. But ok

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%

pours a clear golden color with a small white head that quickly fades and no lace to speak of. weak spice aromas in the nose. tight bubbled pepper and slightly spice taste not your average tasting pils. light to medium body tight bubbled carbonation. pass on this one.

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%

Czech style pils can not afford to be as malty as this concoction.

Almost an IPA, though lacking in IPA's characteristic bitterness. To get my point, pour yourself a glass of Pilsner Urquell and try alternating with Lagunitas Pils. Miles away.

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

Lagunitas Pils certainly looks the part: a clear, light-bodied straw-colored beer with a thick coarse head that leaves a respectable lacing on the glass. The nose is fine, if deceptively malty, but it falls down as a Czech-style pilsner as soon as it hits the mouth. Other than a bit of lagery hops flavors up front and some alcohol and malt flavor notes on the end, strong hops bitterness dominates the flavor of this beer, burying any sort of hops/malt interplay. This bitterness lingers an indecently long time for a pilsner; not the crisp finish that I want from this style of beer.

2.49/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Body is a very clear, light amber. Has some old-honey highlights. The head is a rather small, white with little staying power and no lacing.

Aroma- Lots of malt sweetness with just a hint of saaz.

Taste - Pretty spicy and peppery for the style. If I didn't know better, I'd think this was some kind of Belgium brew. Other than that, the malt sweetness and hoppiness meld quite nicely. To bad it's so darn spicy tho.

Mouthfeel - Body is a bit syrupy for the style. Carbonation level is right on tho.

Drinkability - It's okay. The spiciness and heavy body make this very uncharacterisitic of te style. A Czeck Pils should be very crisp clean and refreshing.

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) from Lagunitas Brewing Company