Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)
3.64/5
Good
Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Our only Lager, brewed with loads of imported Saaz hops and a bottom-fermenting yeast strain that leaves it Light and Crisp and Easy to Slam, yet full of real flavor and all the things you yearn for.

Added by beertaster13 on 02-17-2002

3.7

Ratings: 2,625 |  Reviews: 758
4.01/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Bottle dated 263 7 (20 SEP 17?) Pilsner glass.

A: pours a crystal clear brassy yellow with streams of bubbles and an epically frothy 2-finger bright white head. Prettiest beer I have had in, well, I've had some pretty ones lately but this is gorgeous. Epic lacing and outstanding retention. This gets a 5 for appearance.

S: flowery, borderline soapy noble hops. I love it, smell is traditional Czech pils, and then CRANK the volume. Usually it's the German Pilsners that are hoppier, but this has that traditional Czech malt background too. Superb.

T: as smell would indicate, kind of hoppy for the style. Arrives slightly sweet, slightly floral, and fully malty on the palate. Mid-palate you get breadiness and something typically Pilsner -what is that taste? Then hops turn grassy first, then floral. That floral and slightly soapy note lingers.

M: midweight, for sure. Full-bodied as pilsners go. Some lingering slickness, which is not super for the style.

O: this is a memorable Pilsner, for sure. In true Lagunitas style it is inappropriately hoppy, but not so much so to make it unpleasant. Definitely would drink again, but would hesitate to make this a go-to with food; it's kind of potent for that. A little too thick for summertime pounder, too. A good clean winter lager, perhaps.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a crystal clear, vibrant, light golden color with a one finger, frothy white head that sticks around for quite a while and leaves many sticky rings of lacing all over the glass. There is lots of visible carbonation as well.

Smell is floral, grassy and spicy herbal hops up front with some doughy malts lurking in the background.

Taste is very similar. The floral and grassy flavors hit first with some dough mid sip and the moderately bitter herbal finish is rounded out wonderfully by the spicy hops and just a touch of sweetness.

Feel is light side of medium with moderate carbonation. I wouldn't be mad if there was a touch more carbonation, but it is not low by any means. The finish is dry.

Overall this is a very good beer. I was afraid it would be way over hopped like a lot of Lagunitas' offerings, and although it is fairly hop forward, I'd say it's pretty spot on for the style.

3.19/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.74/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really wish people would give reviews based on how well it did for the style not compare them to other styles. I see so many 3.5-4 ratings on here for this beer claiming you can't do much better for a Czech style pils...don't get it but anyways that is how I rate my beers...is how it did based on it's competition not how it does next to a flavorful American stout.
Poured a 12oz bottle on 10-7-17 into a stange glass because I broke my pils glass. Lol

L: this beer pours perfectly. Perfect clarity nice and pale straw color. 1/2" white foaming head and pretty good lacing.
S: smell nice pilsner malts and a little grassy/earthy and some lemon
T: tasting a tad of bready malt sweetness at first but then drys out. A bit of spicy hops.
F: Mouthfeel is nice and mild. Light bodied. Carbonation is perfect for this beers profile.
O: I don't think you get much better for a Czech-style pils. That's why I gave it a high rating based on other pilsners I have had. It's def my favorite pils ATM.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

I wish it would be slightly lower in ABV but man this is an awesome pilsner.

3.22/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a very pale yellow into a fifteen ounce glass mug the same temperature as the beer. One finger white head that dissipates rapidly. Light lacing.

The nose is a hint of sulfur combined with lemon notes. A bit sour.

Light lemony hops first up on the palate followed by moderate grains. Biscuit. Grassy. No real hops bite. Rather bland overall.

Light and crisp mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Not a bad beer for a hot summer day. Overall I find this brew quite boring without any unique character. Nothing to set it apart from from mass produced American adjunct lagers.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas Brewing Co. "PILS"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "181 7 2 2066 1021" and sampled on 8 SEPT 2017

Notes via stream of consciousness: I could have sworn I reviewed this beer before, but I guess I'm losing it in my old age. Perhaps it was one of those beers that I've tried and then just decided to enjoy it and not bother with the distraction of a review. Anyway, it pours an almost fingerprint-through-the-glass golden body beneath a creamy head of off-white that holds remarkably well and leaves impressive lacing about the glass. I haven't seen such a good looking glass of pilsner since I was in Germany a few years ago - no lie. The aroma offers grainy and lightly sweetish malt, and spicy and herbal hops. I can't say for sure that it's Pilsner malt but it smells like it. And although I don't get the strong Saaz nose that I like, I'm getting enough that I'm sure they're in there. And really, that's all you need for a Czech Pilsner except to get the balance right. So, moving on to the flavor, it follows the aroma with a grainy, sweetish malt base that's balanced by spicy, floral, and herbal hops. I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but that's what it should be - the aroma and the flavor should be basically the same. It's a slight bit sweetish to me, and I could use a little more bitterness personally, but it's balanced, and probably around 30 IBUs - right on for the style. The spicy hops helps to dry it as well. It's medium-bodied leaning towards medium-light and gently crisp. The malt is rich and flavorful, and you really can't do much better for an American brewed Czech-style Pilsner.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) from Lagunitas Brewing Company