Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)
3.64/5
Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Our only Lager, brewed with loads of imported Saaz hops and a bottom-fermenting yeast strain that leaves it Light and Crisp and Easy to Slam, yet full of real flavor and all the things you yearn for.

Added by beertaster13 on 02-17-2002

3.7

Ratings: 2,608 |  Reviews: 756

3.84/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

more of a sturdy pils than most, which i of course appreciate. this pours clear radiant yellow color, maybe a copper hue to it, but just barely. the head is frothy and rich and lasting, although only about an inch tall. the nose is grassy, distinctly Czech on the hop front, and light pizza dough malt like a good pilsener should have. nice crisp taste, with more body than most and more alcohol than most too, although you cant really taste it. the grains are nice and fresh, slightly toasted maybe, and the noble hops are spot on, summery and only moderately bitter. awesome carbonation, really thirst quenching. the finish is super clean, down easy, especially when ice cold. this is a good springtime drinker, not freakishly interesting, but it is really tasty. my dad would adore this, im impressed by its quality but not particularly moved by it. also, like the wilco tango, this is one of the few lagunitas beers where the yeast strain doesn't detract from the overall effort. hey, that's 2 in a row!

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice creamy 2 finger head that leaves nice lacing around the glass. Color of the beer is your standard lager yellow. Carbonation bubbles continue to float towards the top throughout the entire 'session'.

Smell: Not much to speak of. A faint metallic smell is all I can muster and maybe a little hay like smell. Although, I don't really think the style lends itself to strong aromas.

Taste: I really wish I could be more descriptive but it's pretty standard pilsner taste. Sweet, bready malt.

Mouthfeel: A little thicker and more robust than I would have expected for the style. Nice and creamy on the palate and is pretty easy to drink. This beer clings to the back of the tongue like a stronger lager which makes sense at 6.0%.

Overall: I like my pilsner's and lagers in general to be a little more crisp and refreshing than this one. If I'm going the lager rout I'm choosing Victory Prima Pils or Stoudt's Munich Gold. It's a well crafted beer but I probably won't be buying this again.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had some good expectations for this one but it just didn't hit home.

Looked great with its one finger tall head that left some nice lacing. Smells nice but not anything too special. Taste was a touch hoppier than what I usually like in a pilsner. Hops are Lagunitas's style but the type of hops didn't quite do it for me.

Overall I'm glad to have tried it even if I didn't much care for it. I think it's got a spot in someone's fridge just not mine.

Edit - Retry

I revisited this one after a half year from trying it. I went in not expecting any particular style and found this very pleasant. The hops do well in a lager and it does smell pretty nice. Like a fresh wet field of hay. Tastes great too, a touch of bite from some floral hops leads into a more wheaty malt and nutty honey. Overall I am definitely going to retry and see how I feel again seeing as something was off the first time having this beer.

Edit - Another Retry...

Still liking this one, it's such a different tasting pils that I have to give credit to it. One that anyone whom likes slightly more hopped up styles should try. And to think that Lagunitas used to be one of my least favorite breweries. It's amazing how important retrying is.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours a perfect straw, golden color with a fluffy white 3 finger head which lasts for several minuets. Good carbonation. Medium lacing on the glass lasts until the end.

The smell is malty, soapy, straw, wet hay and cut grass.

The taste starts with a sharp bite. Then a bready and honey taste comes in followed by bitter and dry aftertaste. Dry but oily, there seems to be a complex hop signature in this brew.

The mouthfeel is thin but bready. There is a bite in the mouth due to the high carbonation and the bitter hop profile that comes in on the back end.

Overall this is a good solid drinking Pils. It is the right color for a pils and packs a nice combination of malts and hops. It lacks the grassy, gritty, grainy aftertaste of many pilsners which you can consider a plus or minus based on your personal preference. I could see myself knocking back a few of these on a hot summer day.

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) from Lagunitas Brewing Company