Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)
3.64/5
Good
Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Our only Lager, brewed with loads of imported Saaz hops and a bottom-fermenting yeast strain that leaves it Light and Crisp and Easy to Slam, yet full of real flavor and all the things you yearn for.

Added by beertaster13 on 02-17-2002

3.7

Ratings: 2,619 |  Reviews: 756
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.74/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really wish people would give reviews based on how well it did for the style not compare them to other styles. I see so many 3.5-4 ratings on here for this beer claiming you can't do much better for a Czech style pils...don't get it but anyways that is how I rate my beers...is how it did based on it's competition not how it does next to a flavorful American stout.
Poured a 12oz bottle on 10-7-17 into a stange glass because I broke my pils glass. Lol

L: this beer pours perfectly. Perfect clarity nice and pale straw color. 1/2" white foaming head and pretty good lacing.
S: smell nice pilsner malts and a little grassy/earthy and some lemon
T: tasting a tad of bready malt sweetness at first but then drys out. A bit of spicy hops.
F: Mouthfeel is nice and mild. Light bodied. Carbonation is perfect for this beers profile.
O: I don't think you get much better for a Czech-style pils. That's why I gave it a high rating based on other pilsners I have had. It's def my favorite pils ATM.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

I wish it would be slightly lower in ABV but man this is an awesome pilsner.

3.22/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a very pale yellow into a fifteen ounce glass mug the same temperature as the beer. One finger white head that dissipates rapidly. Light lacing.

The nose is a hint of sulfur combined with lemon notes. A bit sour.

Light lemony hops first up on the palate followed by moderate grains. Biscuit. Grassy. No real hops bite. Rather bland overall.

Light and crisp mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Not a bad beer for a hot summer day. Overall I find this brew quite boring without any unique character. Nothing to set it apart from from mass produced American adjunct lagers.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas Brewing Co. "PILS"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "181 7 2 2066 1021" and sampled on 8 SEPT 2017

Notes via stream of consciousness: I could have sworn I reviewed this beer before, but I guess I'm losing it in my old age. Perhaps it was one of those beers that I've tried and then just decided to enjoy it and not bother with the distraction of a review. Anyway, it pours an almost fingerprint-through-the-glass golden body beneath a creamy head of off-white that holds remarkably well and leaves impressive lacing about the glass. I haven't seen such a good looking glass of pilsner since I was in Germany a few years ago - no lie. The aroma offers grainy and lightly sweetish malt, and spicy and herbal hops. I can't say for sure that it's Pilsner malt but it smells like it. And although I don't get the strong Saaz nose that I like, I'm getting enough that I'm sure they're in there. And really, that's all you need for a Czech Pilsner except to get the balance right. So, moving on to the flavor, it follows the aroma with a grainy, sweetish malt base that's balanced by spicy, floral, and herbal hops. I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but that's what it should be - the aroma and the flavor should be basically the same. It's a slight bit sweetish to me, and I could use a little more bitterness personally, but it's balanced, and probably around 30 IBUs - right on for the style. The spicy hops helps to dry it as well. It's medium-bodied leaning towards medium-light and gently crisp. The malt is rich and flavorful, and you really can't do much better for an American brewed Czech-style Pilsner.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little on the bitter side in the back end. I also get some chalkiness. The mouth was light and dry. Not terrible!

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.29/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev +6.9%