Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cappuccino Stout | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by GClarkage on 10-20-2004

4.2

Ratings: 4,470 |  Reviews: 1,348
4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. The julian date code says this was bottled on January 18th.

A: Very dark brown body like used motor oil. Cappuccino colored 2 finger head, with lots of lacing and good retention.

S: Strong coffee scents not much else, could defiantly be more complex.

T: Follows the nose for the most part, some hoppy bitterness as well as some dark fruit.

M: Fairly creamy, I feel it should have some more viscosity, especially due to the higher alcohol content. CArbonation was decent.

O: Damn good imperial stout for the price, I might pick up another bottle and try aging it to see if it improves once the hops fall off.

A - Black with a creamy head.

S - Coffee and sweet stouty malt. Go figure.

T - Sweet coffee with dark caramel stout goodness. Bit bitter on the finish. It's strange at first but by the end you can see why you've bought this before.

M - Smooth and a little viscous.

O - I haven't had another stout specifically labeled as a Coffee Stout so I can't compare, but this is good. Definitely different from Lagunitas's Imperial Stout. It's not an all the time thing for me, but I don't regret it every so often when I find it.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Utterly black with a contrasting cream-colored, somewhat soapy head. Decent shallow lacing.

S: Surprising presence of piney hops, but rounded by some roasted malt, sweet cream, coffee, and sugar notes.

T: Coffee and dark malts, balanced by sweet cream. No hops anymore. Decent finish, mostly bitter.

M: Full bodied, but lightly viscous.

O: Good, but ultimately nothing that stands out among other coffee stouts.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

*22 oz Bottle* I'm excited to try this brew. I've always been pushing this one aside for other beers (I know, I know, lame excuse). I should have checked out this one before I've stumbled upon other coffee stouts. Well any way lets get on with the beer. I poured this into my Stout glass. I was expecting a coffee beverage. But it looks a bit watered down its a bit browner than my standard stout blackness. It was on the way of being black but fizzled out in the process. There was a 1 finger light khaki head with tight bubbly foam. Eh, whatever. I go in for a whiff and it is dense. Roasted coffee with vanilla and a hint of spice. Pretty simple but smells good. Tasting the beer is the most important, so I take a gulp of this nectar. It gives me what I expected from smelling this brew. Roasted Coffee, vanilla and hints of cocoa. Malt sweetness balances out the bitter burnt coffee. This is balanced. The mouthfeel on this is the highlight. For a slightly lighter color stout this is smooth and creamy! The carbonation is tight and prickly.

Overall: this is a good coffee stout. It lacks a bit from being phenomenal! The visual piece is where I find it lacks the most (beer snob remark). It isn't a dense black body that I have become accustomed to. It stands it's own, don't get me twisted. I can recommend this but it falls short in comparison with other coffee stouts on the market. This brew is worthy.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a Lagunitas mason jar pint glass. Was a dark brown with slight transparency around the edges, a inch or so of khaki head. The smell was dominated by a dark roast coffee. Taste backed up the smell with an earthy coffee taste as the primary flavor, with the taste waning a bit as it warmed. The beer was pretty thin in the mouth for such a strong coffee smell/taste, and felt even a bit acidic as it warmed up. Not a bad beer, but not nearly as good as others in it's class.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an Ikea snifter. The liquid is dark mahogany - almost black, but just a tiny bit brown. A pretty thick cafe-au-lait-colored head rises up on the pour, and fades to a nice film after a few minutes with a decent amount of lace sticking to the glass.

Aroma delivers plenty of coffee, as expected. It's a really nice, creamy, thick coffee smell emanating from the glass.

Taste follows the nose - it's a lot of coffee, a little chocolate, a little bit of vanilla, but mostly coffee. Aftertaste is a nice charred bitterness complemented well by just a touch of a hop bite. It's really solid, especially since I really like coffee.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, but maybe on the thin side for the style and ABV. Works well, though, and makes it possible to drink the whole bomber of it.

Overall, definitely a solid coffee stout, even if it's nothing to proselytize about. Still, for the price point, it's an easy purchase, and one I will definitely make again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%