Cappuccino Stout | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by GClarkage on 10-20-2004

Reviews: 1,321 | Ratings: 4,348
4.28/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep dark brown with ruby edges and well over a finger of head. The nose is nicely roasty but not overly pungent. The mouthfeel is sticky and full bodied. The flavor is richly roasty and includes some essence of coffee bitterness.

At the right price point, this could be an every day big stout.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Comes in a black color with dark brown at the edges. Has a nice creamy, mocha brown head that lingers and leaves nice lacing.

The aroma offers cold brewed coffee, cocoa powder, milk chocolate candy, and caramel.

The flavor is very well balanced. Dark roasted coffee, burnt toast, and wood smoke smack you upfront, and then it mellows out with a sweet finish of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and caramel, balanced yet again with bitter cacao. The aftertaste is fairly clean, with just a touch of lingering coffee roast bitterness.

The mouthfeel is smooth, slick, and creamy. It moves the flavors very nicely and evenly across the palate, and is perfect for the style.

An excellent coffee stout overall. Highly recommended to any fan of dark beers and/or coffee. Another winner from Lagunitas!

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I'll preface this review by saying that I may have had an expired bottle and with that in mind, here goes.

As a lover of good coffee and stout beers, I thought finding this was somewhat of a dream come true. I've come to appreciate stouts served closer to room temperature, so I refrigerated the bottle then took it out of the refrigerator about an hour and a half before I poured it.

When pouring it seemed to be a bit thinner than typical stouts. The head formed well, but quickly dissipated. The beer appears pretty dark, bordering between stout and porter.

I smelled it to see if I could detect a hint of coffee. I didn't. This beer smelled bitter, maybe a little over-hopped. I decided to let it air for a minute to see if it would relent, it didn't.

As my heart raced in anticipation of my first makeout session with a coffee-stout, with great expectations I moved in for the first kiss. Whoa. This was nothing like the first kiss with the love of my life. This was bitter. Much more bitter than I would expect from a stout. The bitterness wasn't from an over roasted coffee like charbucks, but from being a little too hoppy. I couldn't even taste the coffee. I waited for the coffee to appear in the aftertaste, but I couldn't taste it. I finally tasted coffee about 20 minutes after finishing it. The taste reminds me of Sam Adams Boston lager, a somewhat skunky, persistent bitterness.

When I drink charbucks, I typically need to add cream. So to make it to the bottom of this bitter bottle, I added cream. It took the edge off, but a huge indication that this one wasn't for me.

Overall, disappointed. If this wasn't so bitter I would probably be willing to try it again, but it's just too bitter for me.

I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you enjoy the more bitter, hoppier beers. If that's your taste, give it a try and you may love it. If you want really strong hints of coffee, you may not find it here.

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is always around and the $5 price point is commendable. Finally decided to buy one for the tick. Look is deep black, decent head. Not a whole lot in the smell. Taste is typical stout, I don't get much coffee. The 9% is completely hidden. Overall decent but not outstanding.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours cola black, jet black with dark ruby shades. thick head as well. good start to this.

smell is nice, lots of chocolate and coffee to me. sweetness in here as well.

taste is mild and thin. oddly enough, it hits me in my nose. coffee bitterness with some mild chocolate sweetness. not bad at all.

overall this is pretty good! nothing special but far from bad. enjoyable stout. thin for a big abv stout but also has a nice bitterness to it so that it isn't pure sweetness. nice balance and drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer poured a dark black color into my tulip glass. The nose is rather muted for what I expected for a stout of this caliber. The taste is stronger than the nose a nice smooth stout with great coffee flavors in the mouth feel. It is a little thin for a stout of this caliber. But a nice smooth drinkable stout in the end.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From the (ancient) bottle, it pours a very dark brown with a small tan head, dissipating somewhat rapidly. Coffee tickles the nose. Coffee and stout in the mouth! Yum!

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

I would have rated this lower if it had cost more than $3.99 for the bottle. Poured very thin for a stout, but not a bad brew. I don't know if I would call it a stout, however.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

$4.50 a bomber! Medium body great coffee and stout nose with a little chocolate. Taste is on point with a good base stout and the coffee not overpowering the beer itself. I would have not thought this what coming in at 9.2% either. Really good beer at one of the best price points per usual from Lagunitas.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Delicious departure from my go-tos from this brewery, the coffee put a nice spin on their usual hoppy ales which I preferred. I've become less of a fan of hop-bomb.

Glad to have been gifted a bottle of this, it was 22 oz. of heaven.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sometimes I feel I've got to
Run away, I've got to
Get away from the pain you drive into the heart of me
The love we share
Seems to go nowhere
And I've lost my light
For I toss and turn, I can't sleep at night

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks great, tastes great, priced great. What a value! Picked up for under $6 a bomber. Thank you. Aroma of coffee, oats, toasted bread and roasted grains. Taste of coffee, chocolate, light toffee and bitters. Smooth and creamy. Wtf to anyone disappointed in an affordable, accessible and delicious coffee stout.

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Honestly I bought this beer with some super high expectations. I think since it was limited release, that got me pretty pumped. What I should have known is that you get what you pay for, the 22oz bomber was like $5.50 or something like that. Honestly I was super disappointed. It did pour nicely into the glass, jet black with a chocolate colored head. But then I took my first sip...tastes like burnt coffee beans and booze. All in all, I was pretty let down. Always remember that you get what you pay for!!

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours silky dark brown/black, but thin in appearance with a thin ring of brown foam.

Roasty, coffee grounds, espresso.

Coffee and espresso flavor is rather underwhelming, but obviously apparent.

Heavy-bodied, low-medium carbonation, smooth but needs more body.

Overall, I still really dig Lagunitas' price points, but that's really all this has going for it. Warming and boozy, but underwhelming in aroma and flavor.

3.19/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

L: black with dark brown ring on edge
S: metallic cold, gains subtle coffee aroma as it warms
T: nice coffee bitterness, metallic tinge is just slightly noticeable early in the tasting.
F: medium bodied

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours a very dark brown almost black color with deep ruby highlights. The head is massive (from am aggressive pour) with great retention and leaves nice sheets of lacing. The smell is coffee up front with some chocolate and roasted malts. Taste is the same with bitter coffee up front and a subtle sweet chocolate finish. Feel is full side of medium and viscous. It really coats the whole mouth. Overall a very nice stout, although I prefer the regular Lagunitas Imperial Stout slightly.

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle to pint glass.

Look: Pours almost a black, very dark reddish brown with a moderately dark tan head that leaves good lacing. Nothing special though.

Smell: Coffee is definitely the dominant scent, with light aroma of chocolate and roasted malt creeping in.

Taste: Simple bitterness of roasted black coffee/espresso. Wonderful taste of coffee and hops in the front, with the roasted malt taking a back seat ride.

Feel: Very warm mouth feel to it, which makes for a very good winter brew. Light and crisp yet slightly creamy. Coats mouth well.

Overall: A great beer, up towards the top of my list for coffee stouts.

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle. no bottling info. The ABV on this bottle is 9.0. Not the 9.20 that is listed here on BA . Perhaps this is a different version ? (it does say limited release on the bottle)

Not quite a solid black, It pours a dark brown (or reddish black) body with a tan head . Some retention. Good lacing.

The smell is a really interesting blend of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt with coffee dominating . At first pour there is also prominent hop note that seems to fade as it warms up.

The taste is roasted coffee/espresso . Not a lot of sweetness here, it's all about the bitter... And it's a very nice bitterness ! It's hard to find the alcohol in this beer but I know it's there somewhere !

Medium feel

The taste really set this one apart.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a Lagunitas fan I thought I had tried this before, but tasting it, I realize that I had not, because it is a taste I would remember. It is not like most of their brews - it is much more neutral whereas most of theirs are distinctively Lagunitas.

It's all black and beautiful with fine bubbles. Very nice. The aroma is a compelling coffee, malt and hop smell. Very nice as well.

The taste is balanced and does not have that Lagunitas twang. It's coffee and hops dominated with very roasty malts behind it. A great combination.

This is another example of a fine LAgunitas brew, only this time it is closer to the main stream. It works for me. I may get a couple more bombers before they are gone for the year.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Aroma and palate are all coffee and cream up-front, and neither the flavor neor the aroma decline in intensity with each successive sip. This is one of the best coffee-stouts I've ever had; I'd put it up at the top of my list with Left Hand's Bittersweet Imperial Coffee Milk Stout and Three Floyds Wig Splitter. For only $5, too, the price-point is impossible to beat for this kind of quality.

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Re-release of 2014 vintage.

Pours dark copper/brown with small light tan head. Looks thin.

Rich aroma is full of coffee and chocolate, kind of sweet with maybe some dark fruits. Light carbonation and much more body than expected. This stout is creamy and really nice. Flavors are similar to the smell, but layered really nicely.

Mild bitterness and a touch of heat from the booze, but nothing sever. Overall I love this stout; I loved it last year and I think that its even better now.

3.99/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

DATE TASTED: January 15, 2016... GLASSWARE: Victory HopDevil nonick... OCCASION: Book Bingo down, Shark Tank and Cavs/Rockets to go... APPEARANCE: jet black--as cappuccino should be--with a thick, creamy brown head that begins as a two-finger froth and finishes as a half-inch hedgerow with high-arcing branches... AROMA: goodness, burnt toffee and toast with cappuccino, lactic hints of milk, dough and earthy hops that are drowned out by the brackishness of the bean... PALATE: a velvet-smooth sip, with the textured finish that makes a medium-bodied, dry finish--drinkable, warming and chewable... TASTE: roasted is the word, as every breath suggests a burnt bean... the milkiness is present, but a balance is struck with peat and earthiness; confident and full... OVERALL: surprisingly not as nuanced as I had hoped.... a beer that warms up to the evening, but does not further its cause... at $4.99, a fair price for a full-bodied, high-alcohol ale that furthers the Lagunitas profile...

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours nicely with a lot of head retention and same lacing. High carb on this one. Aroma is malt with overwhelming fruit notes. Sweet clementine with hints of dark chocolate. Taste follows aroma, malt and some sweetness with faint hints of dark chocolate and malt. Hop flavors continue and finish on the palette. Sharp bitter tone at the finish as well. IMO, too hoppy and fruity to be a stout, seems more of a faux-BIPA. Not bad.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass.
A: pours a deep burnt Coca-Cola body, +1 finger off white foam head that quickly fades to perimeter, tiny bubbles for carbonation
S: coca nibs, dark toasted malts, hint of cappuccino
M: medium heavy body, carbonation tingly on the tongue, the chared malt leaves a residue on the tongue
T: hint of cappuccino up front, roasted malt, charred wood, coca nibs, slight earthy bite in the finish
O: great brew overall wroth slight cappuccino taste with smooth feel

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber with a mid-February date into a Duvel tulip at cellar temp.

Look: fairly light brown for a stout, with a thick head that diminishes to a few wisps after a minute.

Smell: insane amounts of chocolate and coffee. Hint of roast, vanilla, tobacco, maybe slight dark fruit.

Taste: chocolate, coffee, mild piney hops, roast, bacon, slight harsh alcohol/bitterness.

Feel: medium body, extremely dry. Like drinking cotton balls.

Overall: this isn't the best coffee stout I've ever had, but with almost a year on it (I assume this is a 2015), there's still a ton of coffee, and it melds really well with the base beer. And at under $4 for the bomber, quite possibly the best value in the style. I'll put it this way: it's about 85% as good as Parabajava, for about 16% of the cost.

Cappuccino Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company