Cappuccino Stout | Lagunitas Brewing Company

4.2

firstprev| 4401-4425 | 4426-4450 | 4451-4475  | next → last
Ratings: 4,472 |  Reviews: 1,348
4.32/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque dark brown with a creamy, tiny bubbled tan head. It got billowy as it fell with sparse lacing. A little light for a Stout.
Roasted sweet malt aroma. Coffee, chocolate and a bit of cherry.
Zingy bittersweet taste. Roasted malt, coffee, creamy milk chocolate and a hint of red fruit. Mild hop bitterness in the finish.
Light bodied with a rich, full and creamy mouthfeel. Soft carbonation.
In someways a little light for a Stout, but it had a nice flavor profile for something marketed as "cappuccino". Great drinkability.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ok, so I'm amongst the three-quarters of a million or so Seattle residents that find it difficult to get up in the morning without sucking down two or three cups of guiseppe before I head out the door for work. I'm interested in the Cappuccino Stout, as one of the finest stouts ever brewed by a large Seattle brewery was the Double Black Stout from Redhook (good stuff if you never had it). I've also had the pleasure of drinking the Grand Espresso Stout from the Steamworks Brewery in Vancouver, B.C. made with 1000 double shots of espresso.

****Editorial aside: I realize they are Canadian and all, and perhaps there's this whole metric thing going on, but wouldn't it have been simpler to say "2000 shots of espresso"?

Anyway, as I look back on my notes of that beer (tasted at the Great Canadian Beer Festival), the only thing I managed to scrawl down was "Cornholio" (Beavis and Butthead reference, if that isn't your thang). I was bouncing off the walls after that beer. Delicious coffee flavor coupled with a magnificent roasted barley nose and finish. Yow. That's my idea of a coffee stout.

So I'm up at Central Market in Poulsbo, staring at the beer. They've got Traquair House Ale, Alaskan Smoked Porter and the Lagunitas. Well, I've probably drank two half-barrels of the Alaskan all by myself over the last four years, so I decided to go with the Traquair (which I've never before seen in Kitsap County), and the Lagunitas, as I'm a huge fan of their IPA (and pretty much everything else they've ever brewed aside from the Brown Shugga). Suffice to say, I'm currently rethinking that strategery.

Appearance: Not as dark as I expect a stout to be. Truth be known, this pours more like a brown than a stout. There's an old Turkish proverb, that reads: "Coffee should be black as hell; strong as death, and sweet as love." I don't think I'm out of line expecting the same out of my coffee stout. I'm sad, as my favorite Petaluma brewery in all the world didn't deliver.

Nose: There really isn't one, to be frank. When I've got a coffee stout in hand, I want to smell one of three things: malt, roasted barley or a wee coffee scent. I'm getting none of these, and I've got one enormous freakin' nose.

Taste: Here's where I'm really confused. If I were to brew a brown ale, this is probably how it would taste. I don't like browns, as the sweet malt dominates everything, with no balance from hops or flavoring barleys or anything. This beer, on the other hand, takes that brown sweetness and throws in just a bit of roasted barley at the end to offset the sweetness. Also, and I'm assuming this is the influence of the coffee (because I don't taste any damn coffee), but the overwhelming flavor left in the mouth is one of brown sugar. This would actually be a fine dessert beer. With pecan pie, if I can bust out my can o' Charles Finkel on yo' ass.

Mouthfeel: Again, I'm disappointed. I want thick, rich and chocolatey. Ok, maybe not like Nestle Quik, but I want me some body. I want it to feel like a merlot (or how I would imagine Salma Hayek's pants would feel if they were liquid, and I were allowed to drink them. But I suppose that's a different story). This beer is definitely not Salma Hayek's pants. Again, the mouthfeel isn't quite right. I don't want to say it's thin, as that really is not accurate. But it isn't robust enough for me, and I keep checking around the bottom of the mug to make certain I didn't leave anything out.

Drinkability: Yeah, I could suck this bad boy down, bottle after bottle. It's not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, it's just not my idea of a stout. If someone were to hand me a pint and say, "Here's the best brown ale you'll ever have", I'd say "No, you're full of crap I hate brown ales (and I left the second comma out on purpose)." But they'd be right. Unfortunately for this mythical person who (if the knew me) should freakin' KNOW better, it's called a stout. Based on that, I have to say it's a disappointment.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This limited release stout poured a dark brown in color with some nice ruby highlights and a modest head that showed good retention.

Smell – Oh, does this smell good. The roasted malts are very dark and form a solid base for this stout. The cappuccino aroma is solid espresso and creamy milk. Somebody’s already added some raw sugar to this one as well. Overall the bouquet is very big and open.

Taste – Wow, this tastes actually bigger than it smells. The cappuccino flavors are enormous here. Add to that the big, roasty malt base and you have one helluva stout. I can pick up some complex fruity notes as well.

Mouthfeel – This one is almost full in the body. It is thick, thick, thick, and give a really hard core bitter coffee flavor on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability – If you live in Seattle and go to Starbucks three times a day like a lot of us do, this is the stout for you.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahhhh... Cappuccino stout. What was it Drew Carey said about the combination of coffee and beer? "Makes me want to pee just thinking about it" or somesuch. Having had a few of the style, I'm more likely to start drooling myself.

This one starts out right, pouring quite black in color with a nice, moderately sized creamy head. Rich malt aromas tinged with coffee and bitter chocolate. Crikes that's appealing.

Enters the mouth with a heavenly smooththness and a nice full body. Like liquid silk. The flavor leans toward the sweet side at first, more milk-chocolatey than dark. Then the coffee flavor kicks in, and yields a lovely roasty, bitter finish. Big and full-flavored, and whatever the ABV of this brew is, it certainly didn't come off as obtrusive.

Each sip left me wanting another, and the bottle of the 22ozer came all too quickly for me. A really fine beer from a brewery which has done a lot to impress me. Their specialty brews are always something to watch for, and this one is no exception.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: opaque blackish-brown shot through with some ruby highlights. Ample creamy tan head and streaky lace.
Nose: uh, where's the coffee? Some really mild hints of coffee among the chocolate and torched grain aromas.
Taste: sweet initially with a lactose flavor that must be where they came up with the name Cappuccino stout. Unfortunately, the coffee taste is seriously muted, usurped by the flavors of roasted malts, semi-sweet chocolate and hints of dark fruit. Light metallic hops bitterness in the finish.
Feel: medium-bodied, creamy and smooth but with a slight watery edge.
Overall: maybe it's just me but they need to change the name on this one. Coffee flavor just wasn't very intense and the milk flavor gives it that bit of wateriness. I expected more.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This looked like a fantastic beer so I had to pick it up, Lagunitas makes great beers. Pours a nice black stout but this one had brownish hints, not crude oil black like most specialty stouts, the smell was fantastic, cocoa beans with whipped cream and molasses, taste was suprisingly not coffee tasting, more of a metallic cocao butter with toffee and nut afterlings, not a bad beer but being a coffee nut I expected this to have more coffee flavor, you know since the name has Cappuccino right on it, oh well still a good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a clear dark brown brew with red highlights when you hold it up to the light.

Smell is malty and well hoped with a bit of alcohol scent to it. Mild Kahlua like scent to this.

Taste is smooth with a mild coffee and chocolate flavor that is common to most stouts. Careful sipping brings out the hops in the beginning of the flavor on the tip of the tongue grapefruit with a dry bitterness. Bit of juicy fruit flavor to this too.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable stout, smooth without that annoying burnt taste they sometimes get.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Another great micro from Lagunitas. Different stouts and ales make life interesting. Dark brown beer with hardly any lacing on the tulip glass. Definite malty presence with a very mild coffee taste in it. Drinkability, well, I have a high tolerance, am a moderate drinker, so I could drink these all night long. Gave it the "Girlfriend Test": it failed miserably (Note: She doesn't like any beer to date, which is fine with me. Don't have to worry about my beers gone missing). Cannot go wrong with this fine Stout from Lagunitas. Enjoy!

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a fine drinking stout though its professed coffee element is somewhat restrained. No matter. The aroma has a delicious caramel and the body, while just slightly thin, is infused with persistent carbonation that tosses up a good lumpy head and an ocean of lace.

While the taste hints at coffee, I noted more of a vanilla bean flavor alongside customary bittering. The total effect was soothing and sensibly balanced. Given the potentially menacing flavor profile of a coffee stout, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout was very drinker friendly.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Presentation: Another 22 ounce Limited Bomber Release from Lagunitas, I always pick them up, for $2.99 is not too much of a stumper if I get the off boring offering, and I have, but in general Lagunitas usually hit the high 3’ and low 4’s so I always take the gamble. Listed as an Ale brewed with Colombian Coffee, more specifically “Brewed with Sebastopol’s Hard Core Coffee’’. Lots of blurb as usual, most notable of the specification is I.B.U. 29.50, O.G. 1.076, Alc. 7.9% Vol., so this one kicks up in the strength stakes.

Appearance: Very dark brown body, almost impenetrable but the edges reveal a deep chestnut hue where the light is refracted through the Glass. When backlit my little single AA-battery powered Desk Torch exhibits a ruby red hint when viewed through the turbid muddy body. Darkish tan brown head with some vanilla coloring that starts out as a very nice looking ½” thick large bubbled offering. The head soon rescinds though to a bubbly covering that does get reinstated with a quick swirl thanks to the slightly above average conditioning. Leaves a very nice mottled lacing on the Glass sides.

Nose: Dark malts laden with some roasted character. Is it me or is there very little Cappuccino in the nose in this one. Very little Coffee, I expected much more from the nose, it’s nice enough but that Coffee hit is not there.

Taste: Unlike the nose, the Cappuccino really does come through in the front end of this Stout. However, it is short lived and soon makes way for a smoother roasted middle that has hints of Instant Coffee. The ending is slightly dry yet thick and roasted malts are still high in profile. The finish has a roasted malt ending that is silky with only the merest hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Smooth silky mouthfeel positively coats the mouth and covers all the available spaces in the mouth. Big and bold this one is actually heavy at times. Thick, yet smooth.

Drinkability: Not exactly a quaffer of sorts, but given that this is a ‘heavy’ Coffee laden offering I was pleasantly surprised as to how easy this one slipped down. One to sip though, it took me a while to work through the Bomber tonight.

Overall: One of the Lagunitas Limited Releases that is above par and well worth a try. Could do with a little more Cappuccino though.

An enjoyable offering, as the label says “Coffee is My Shepherd, I shall not Doze”, hey I may even consider taking one of these to work in a Starbucks Cup tomorrow!!

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Picked this one up today at my local BevMo. I'd heard about this one before but always seemes to miss it before today. Almost went with somemore Brown Shugga', but thought i'd give this one a go instead.

Pours with seemingly little head directly from the bottle, though it may still be a little cold. The nose is subtle - cream, slight coffee and chocolate, which isn't surprising given this is a cappucino stout. Actually more chocolate/cocoa as it's warming. Colour's more of a porter colour - gorgeous dark ruby, not black.

First taste does away with any pretense of this seeming creamy. It's not rough, but instead has much more body than the nose had suggested. Big roasted characteristic at firstand a slight lactic milkyness, then that coffee/cappuccino characteristic comes in through the middle and carries on for a long time. Though not as big as some of the coffee stouts out there (Alesmith's Speedway, etc...), this is still great for a "normal" coffee stout.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle, settled a dark black with an almost non-existent head. What little there is does leave some lacing, though there is no carbonation to replenish.

The aroma is muted chocolate malt with just a hint of roasting. Not bad, but really, minimal.

The taste is surprisingly full considering the mellow smells. Its tart chocolate malt is filling and pleasing. Coffee adds a nice bitterness to the mix.

Its nice, but I'm glad to split the 22 with my wife.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours ruby-edged black with a huge light chocolate head, frothy and bubbly and beautiful. Some gorgeous hunks of lace hold to the glass.

Smell:

Sweet milk chocolate, ground coffee beans -- the combination of these two is deliciously earthy and lovely.

Taste:

Slight bitter kick under my tongue, unfolds into a sweetness that gradually -- slowly, slowly -- turns into coffee-like bitterness. The coffee like character takes its time and unfolds, slowly. The aftertaste is all coffee heartiness and twang. I love it.

Middling carbonation. Dense, pleasant mouthfeel.

Loving it!

3.42/5  rDev -13.2%

Brown. Aroma is full of coffee beans, milk & cream, chocolate and caramel. Subtle, mild, non offensive flavor with again, a strong taste of coffee beans continues on in the flavor profile along with chocolate, roasted malts and creamy. Well hidden alcohol. Finish is lingering and dry.

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

My my, this hard-to-find beauty on cask at the Blind Tiger? You know it... God I love that place.
The appearance of this, even off cask, was pure art. A great frothy tan head on top of a brown-black thick body, this just looked the part. The smell was nice, with some chocolate roasty notes and an earthy sweetness, and a definite coffee aroma. I know the name could have planted this seed, but trust me, my lady is a coffee addict, and I smell the best shit every morning, and this beer smells like coffee.
The first thing you note when you taste this is that it tastes like a milk stout, but with the lacto toned way down. It's slightly chalky, and definitely bittersweet, with a good hops profile -- just enough to keep the chocolatey, coffee goodness from losing control.
Vanilla bean and coffee with cream is present throughout the finish, which ends up just dry enough to beg another pint. What a great, creamy mouthfeel, too... I really loved this stout.

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Ok latest from one of my fav breweries, known for its "oddball" take on styles of beer.
Comes in the 22 oz bomber.
Nice looking beer ,poured into my imperial pint mug,it's mahogany brown when held to the light with a large creamy/rocky coffee n' creme coloured head.
The aroma is nece and fresh typical burnt/roast stout aroma but worryingly little cappucinno.
Ah the cappuccino is really utstanding in the first sip, right up front, then it dissapates to a nice creamy sweet smoothness..small bitter aftertaste,,the 7.9% alcohol is well hidden but theres warming in the throat.
Very beautiful mouthfeel..silky smooth and creamy.
Nice drinkable stout..I liked it a lot.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was really looking foreward to this beer since I have been a big lagunitas fan in the past, but it turned out just average at best. The beer poured a very dark brown with a good tan head that settled into a thin layer of foam. The smell was not strong at all, with faint hints of coffee and roasted malts.
The taste was a let down as well with a hint of coffee, a nice kick of roasted malts and a slight woody flavor, but not nearly the flavor I would expect from a beer brewed with "hard core coffee".

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer looked kind of thin and wimpy for a 7.9% cappuccino stout – more like a dark amber than a dark stout. The nose was also not what I had hoped. The first taste cold did not do this beer justice. Once it warmed the tastes really came together – iced black coffee, good quality bittersweet chocolate. I tried it with the cocoa pete’s chocolate (the one with coffee) and it matched well. This is a good intro to the concept of beer/coffee with Alesmith being graduation day. Bev’mo in Albany.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

A treat to try a pint of this elixir on cask at the Blind Tiger in NYC. Pours near black, tan puffy and soft head, left some moderate lacing. Nose of, guess what, coffee beans. This is a very creamy, silky smooth ans soft on the tongue stout. Rich flavors of multiple differant shades of coffee, cafe au lait and coffee beans. Vanilla also slides accross the palate. Stout lovers and coffee lovers rejoice.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured to a mostly black color with a nice puffy head. The lace is making a nice web on the side of the glass.

Coffee comes through loud and clear in the smell. Coffee is also present up front in the taste, with heavy roasted malts and hops rounding out the finish. The mouthfeel was a little sharp but still wasn't too shabby. Drinkability is definitely high for the alcoholic content.

This is a nice beer; I need to get some more of this stuff.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Ended up trying this at an impromptu premiere (?) at Spuyten. A nice deep dark brown, if you shine a light through it it looks a little like Coca-Cola. A light but firm coffee smell with a thin head, more carbonation than the head gave away (could have been the tap or the pour.)

The cappucino flavor is actually kind of mild, more hoppiness than I expected but it works, also some roasted flavor from the bottom of the coffee pot and a tiny bit of dark chocolate. Nice mellow coffee aftertaste. This stuff was the absolute perfect companion for the Belgian chocolate at the end of the bar.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Consumed in October 2004. Quaffed at the Toronado on tap. Wow, I'm truly impressed. Had a small sample to see what I was getting into before I purchased the pint. Watched the bartender pour it into a pint glass. Decent head and it lasted quite a while. Great lacing that was still sticking to my glass for dear life even when the elixer was gone. Smelled of deep malt and burnt coffee. Maybe a bit of dark chocolate also. GREAT carbonation. Not to much, but just enough to make it go down smooth. Terrific aftertaste also. Enjoyed this beer very much. Probably rates as one of the top 5 stouts I have ever had. Will seek this one out again. Not sure if it is available only on tap or if they have it in bottles. Must be a very new release. Guess I can go to the website and find out.
Try it...you won't regret it. Tasty to say the least.

firstprev| 4401-4425 | 4426-4450 | 4451-4475  | next → last