Aunt Sally | Lagunitas Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Aunt SallyAunt Sally

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Wild Ale

A Unique Dry-Hopped Sweet Tart Sour Mash Ale. We soured the wort on the Hot Side with Lactobacillus for a few days and then brewed up this smooth and hoppy sour. It tastes like a big bowl of fruity candy or some chewable flavored vitamins, but what's the difference? It's sweet, tart, and sassy, just like the tasty cherry pie that your favorite aunt makes. For all the Aunt Sally's out there, You know who you are...

Added by ThatsThatDude on 02-04-2016

1.39/5  rDev -63.5%

Yuck. Had a bad gustatory day today hopefully capped off by this. First I got a stale pastry from a Cuban bakery, then this beer (after some better beers). The two bad tastes are just about equal. This beer tastes like fermented pickle juice. Doesn't work. I love other Lagunitas offerings but this is a NO GO. I started to question the impetus behind this beer. Aunt Sally...I thought...Oh right "please excuse my dear aunt Sally" the weird order of operations mnemonic device. "Why?", I thought. A closer inspection of the bottle reveals the image of Aunt Sally. Now the horrible truth becomes clear...Aunt Sally, of course a gross older woman. This is what she tastes like! Stanks, but no stanks Lagunitas!

Fortunately I have some Bells Hopsoulution laying around. I'm sure any beer would taste better after Aunt Sally, but Hopsoulution literally tastes like an orange lollipop after this incident! I guess that's Aunt Sally's only saving grace...she makes other beers taste better [insert nauseating dirty joke].

1.86/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Let me preface that I am not huge on sours or wilds, etc. So really, not my beer at all. Really just not about this.

Appearance was very mediocre. Not a fan of the smell, mainly because there wasn't much to smell. Taste was just that awful yeast taste I can't stand. Feel was very tolerable, but the taste was that awful washed up copper tart/sour. Just not for me.

1.97/5  rDev -48.3%

Bitter and sour probably shouldn't ever meet.

There is nothing appealing about this beer. It looks like Daytime and smells and tastes like soured armpit. Lagunitas should be ashamed of themselves for even putting this one on the shelves, but I guess they have built such a massive brand now that anyone will buy anything from them and enjoy it. Pretty terrible.

2.08/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

2.21/5  rDev -42%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

This is one of the worst tasting beers I've had. I am all about Hops, but this beer is so overly tart and sour it's almost undrinkable. It's like lemon juice mixed with pickle juice. I've tried a lot of Lagunitas beers, and this is the first bad one I've had. I can't imagine someone enjoying this beer.

2.4/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A very light yellow (Budweizeresque) with no discernible head. I didn't so much mind the tart but it simply did not have that much body and just didn't taste that good. To me, it almost falls out of the beer category. It might be better outside on a hot day as it would be easy to consume several, but for the taste. I've had many, many Lagunitas beers and I have yet to fine one I didn't like, until now.

2.41/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy golden color,aroma was heavy sour grapefruit. The taste followed the smell,sour,bitter,grapefruit. It tasted more like an ipa/sour. I believe it was well made but I found the excessive grapefruit taste too much to take.I'm biased as I'm not a fan of ipa type of beers and this tasted very similar

2.44/5  rDev -36%

This is a definite one and done for me. This beer confuses itself, no traits that stand out. Dry hopping and sour mash don't mix too well in this. I finished my bottle but was happy when it was done.

2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

2.46/5  rDev -35.4%

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Typical towering, world class Lagunitas appearance. Voluptuous head, leaving tons of lace behind as it recedes slowly, and a clear, bell-like transparent body of honey golden hue.

Aromas of brett and dry hop make up most of the profile. Some bread and raspberries. (As it warms the aroma takes on more of a straight onion smell.)

Eeeech. A very conflicted beer. An ugly balance between onion/armpit and a sour beer. Almost an instant drain pour but I'm trying to keep an open mind as I search for other flavors. Maybe a touch of that raspberry jam I smelled earlier. It leaves a sweet tarts like finish on the lips you can lick off.

Feel is buzzing and creamy, and quenches nicely.

Overall, an obvious avoidance in the future. On the lower half of the Lagunita's beers I've tried. Won't be revisiting again.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

2.78/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I hate doing this to Lagunitas, but I just don't like the taste. I like Pale Ales and I like Wild Ales, but this combination tastes like someone spilled vinegar in my Pale Ale.

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Golden color with thin head. Smell very sweet and sour. Citrus candy, lemons, sour grapes and apples. Taste like whiskey sour mix and sweet tarts. Maybe a beer taste at the end. Finish coats the mouth. Not sure what to make of this beer since it's my first sour beer. It's very sweet and the sour reminds me of childhood candy but overall it's interesting. Could drink again...maybe.

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Looks pretty good in a glass, though the nose seems a tad dinky. Some gentle grassy dry hopping comes through in the nose, as does the textbook Lagunitas house character. An intense lemon tart (relatively speaking - this is a rather timid aroma) characteristic hints at the sourness nicely, though it definitely doesn't have the integration of some of the better hoppy sours. The flavor does remind me of little lemon candies - problem is, there isn't much else to it. Maybe there's a touch of herbaceous hop flavors to finish it off, but otherwise it's a pretty one-dimensional offering that doesn't even have the best integration of said singular dimensions. At least it goes down easily, with a light body, good carbonation, and balanced sweetness (just not balanced flavors). By no means is this a drainpour, but it hardly shows any sort of lactobacillus mastery, either.

2.91/5: Please excuse my dear aunt Sally (here's one for the math teachers!)

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter glass. 5.7% abv

Appearance- Pours a bright yellow-orange. Massively tall white foamy heady, slow to dissipate. Crystal clear.

Smell- Doughy bread, fresh grains, fruit aroma.

Taste- Heavy barely flavor first, light crackery malt flavor. Turns sour, similar to a sour apple flavor. Flavor fades off. Something to be desired in the finish of the flavor profile. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body, low carbonation.

Overall- Seems like a sour meets pale ale. Nothing against sours or wild ales, but this beer needs something. Perhaps more flavor or another ingredient.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours clear yellow color with a 2-3 finger foamy white head that was full of bubbles of all sizes, dissipating about average time and leaving minimal spotty lacing. Aunt Sally is sure perky based on this 1950's style drawing....

Smells of wheat, lemon zest, yeast, cardboard, sea salt, hay or other earthy notes, and a cat litter essence. I don't know what to make of this as the bottle states it's a unique dry-hopped sweet tart sour mash ale. I get unique and mash, but not in a good way.

Taste is a hoppier with a blast of dry hops that give off floral and potpourri notes, and then more sea salt kicks in with a slight sour bitterness. It's tart and dry and chalky and almost seems like a leftover keg-party beer that sat out all night in a plastic cup which I'd sandbag at 5:00 am after an all-nighter.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp and tart with a bunch of earthy notes and more sea salt. It's almost like the beer was overcooked and the mash was burnt. This was a swing and a miss for me; a rare disappointment from Lagunitas. Even for a Gose this would not be a beer I'd revisit.

Aunt Sally from Lagunitas Brewing Company