Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by Reidrover on 03-05-2005

Ratings: 2,296 |  Reviews: 777
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

As usual with Lagunitas brews, the head and foamy mouthfeel are impeccable. Quite beautiful coppery amber color in the tall Stella glass.

Slightly sweet with a rich sensation. Even a little sticky. More on the earthy side than other Lagunitas offerings. But hey! it's a Red. The smell is particularly dank and herbal. Moderately bitter with some darker notes of bark and dirt. The malt flavors emphasize the roast grains and a little perfumey taste.

Quite drinkable for a double Red. Not quite hopped into IPA territory, though the bitterness is sufficient with the dry aftertaste. From the 12 oz bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

I once was walking home during a fall day and stopped to appreciate the crisp air and whilst pulling in a lungful of that delightful play of dying vegetations I felt something near my leg and jumped a bit. Much to my surprise it was a friendly little beagle that I must have frightened near death from my start because it soon took off about 30 feet and barked for dear life. I tried to apologize but the poor beast quickly grew tired and faded back into the background. And this event perfectly mirrored my experience with this breed of beer; a loud start, quieting middle and soon dissipating into the ether.

The look is a disappointing flat caramel brown with flecks of something floating throughout. Needless to say I was cautious in my approach, but it was the large welcoming aroma of grains and malt that won me over. My first sip was expectantly bold but while it contained the bitterness of hops, the floral notes were not to be found and instead a much maltier middle was hanging out instead. The flavor ended without much fanfare and dissipated nicely considering the 7.8% and relative bitterness, which was a pleasant surprise.

My initial sips somewhat turned me off, but about halfway through my 12oz I started to come around and genuinely like this little dog with the big bark. Not much to look at but surprisingly fun to play with.

Label - 4.0
I include this with each bottle/can review because I feel that for the average consumer to even approach an unknown beer, it's the packaging that entices rather than the actual end product. Points and half points are given for Style, Readability, Tasting Notes, Brewers Notes and Ease of Reuse(removability)

Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company