Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Ratings: 5,666 |  Reviews: 1,585
4.08/5  rDev +2%

This beer was not what I expected. It was given to me and I was just going off the name. Without reading any of the label but the name, I thought it was going to be a brown ale. It poured into a pint glass with a beautiful copper color and the fluffy creamy white head immediately came to life, and stayed! It left quite a bit of lacing with each sip. Boy, what a nice looking ale. When I smelled it, the hops drifted up but not too strong, with some nice malts to blend in. The taste was just wonderful. The fact that I was completely caught off guard with the type of beer this was really enhanced the favors for me. No preconceived notions. The hops was right up front but not too strong. Think of a mild IPA. The malts were just right but what knocked it out of the park for me was the sweet flavors. Then I read the label. Brown cane sugar! It really works well with the malty flavors to produce what has become a new favorite of mine. It was not overly carbonated nor to thin. It was just right for me. While the sweetness of the cane sugar may be too much for some, this is one ale you should try. I was also very surprised to see that it had a 9.99% ABV! It completely disappears into what I think is an excellenty crafted ale. Kudos Lagunitas!

4.56/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a dark brown with a tan head. Aroma is hops, resin, dark malts. Taste is sweet with bitterness, and a broe
wn sugar note. Mouthfeel is medium and smooth. Overall, a pretty good winter beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm sure this is a fine barley wine, but it was too sweet for me. It became more tolerable the longer it sat. Cheers!

UPDATE
Tried this again. Still a little cloying but has excellent hop profile. My first single bottle I tried most have been too old. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Look: Light brown with flashes of orange and yellow; transparent. Pours with a 2 finger creamy white head that dies down leaving a smooth layer of foam on the surface of the beer and some sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Light, sweet, aroma with hints of malt. Nice. Made me want to drink the beer.

Taste: Lightly sweet (without being fruity or syrupy), brown sugar, malt. Very nice, unique flavor.

Feel: Slight above average. Thin, like a typical US commercial beer. But very nice light carbonation, unlike a typical commercial beer.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer and would gladly drink it again. It was an easy to drink beer with a unique flavor, but not something that I would go out of my way for. I think the hype surrounding this beer might have left me disappointed, though a very nice beer none the less.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4/5  rDev 0%

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great hoppy smell and look but tastes pretty sweet with a very noticeable alcohol taste. Lagunitas sucks is a lot better

3.96/5  rDev -1%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +1.5%

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%

You can taste a faint hint of burnt sugar upfront but it gives way nicely to a medium malt / hop exchange...a little piney on the back at first but mellows as it warms...just sweet enough to add dimension but not sugary...

3.29/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I will give this a higher rating because I can see why people like it. It does have a depth of flavor and is somewhat unique. However, I did not care for it as it was to bitter for me.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Deep red mahogany color. Pine, alcohol and cooked sugar aroma translates into similar flavors, somehow masking the alcohol somewhat. Syrupy and smooth feel makes this surprisingly drinkable. A bit dangerous.

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company