Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Reviews: 1,571 | Ratings: 5,594
2.72/5  rDev -32%

Ok, i LOVE Lagunitas, maybe my favorite brewery. So, i was waiting on finding this to try it out.
Everything else they brew i seem to love, but this, this is just not for me. I am trying to not be too hard on it. Well, first off, i used to have a cat years ago that would piss on the front door if i was sleeping and couldnt let him out, and this beer smells like what that cat was pissing. So right off, i am not too happy, but it could get better...Mouthfeel is ok, but damned if it doesnt taste like it smells, cat piss. I mustve had a funky assed cat cause at 16 when his bladder was iffy and he couldnt wait, he was pissing Brown Shugga. I just cant get over it. Not even sure i can give this a fair review because of it.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%

Sure the amber brown color with nice head lures one into a false sense of security...Then BAM you take one to the buds!!!! The strong alcohol detracts from the buzz of this beer. This beer is tough and definitely not a session brew. However, if you can stick through the first half of the bottle the beer smooths out...most likely cuz the taste buds are numb. Certainly worth a try, but a six will do just fine.

2.75/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was a bit disappointed by this beer. The smell is alcohol, brown sugar, some spicy Lagunitas style hops. The taste is sweet and strong. I prefer Undercover Shutdown. nb

2.76/5  rDev -31%

Pours transparent ruby amber. When I hold it up to the light, I see right through. Off-white, slightly tan head. Smaller than I expected. Less than a half inch of foam that dissipates rather quickly. Some lacing.

Smells of sweet malt, liquorice, a little citrus, and a hint of the alcohol.

Sweet, creamy brown sugar upfront, hops in the middle, and a warm bitter finish. Some grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is silky and creamy, some carbonation, and a warm finish. Sweetness and syrup feeling lingers.

A nice holiday beer. Very good on a cold night, but not something I would want every day.

2.77/5  rDev -30.8%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A---It poured a murky copper with a thin beige head.

S---Maple, molasses, burnt sugar, nutmeg and phenols.

T---Burning hot alcohol shifting to sweet caramelized sugar. It finished dry and salty. Tongue numbing and unpleasant tasting in my opinion.

M---Thin-Medium bodied.

D---A little less then average is the best way I can describe this.

2.79/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance: Clear amber-red in my tulip, nicely colored with an off-white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Rich, sweet and fruity. I suppose there's a trace of brown sugar, but this is more fruity and boozy than anything. Faint sourness as well, along with a bit of leafy hops.

Taste & mouthfeel: As the aroma implies, this borders on being cloyingly sweet. Heavy on the palate but somewhat muddled, the faint fruity sourness doesn't gel right with the spicy sweetness and leafy hop bite. Somewhat thin in body despite the sweetness, with a surprisingly bitter finish. Can't say that I'm a fan of this one.

2.8/5  rDev -30%

Got word that I was being released at three bars in my area on the same night, some sort of "release party..." Got there right around 8:30, and the bartender said I was the first one to try it. So the ice cold beer went into the shaker...

A - Amber body, decent head, pretty standard.

T - Fruity citrus hops stuck out, with some barleywine-like alcohol notes. Again, not very exciting...

T - Entry seemed to focus on the sweet alcohol. Cherry and orange flavors seemed off in the dry finish.

M - Very full and smooth mouthfeel. First thing about this beer I liked...

D - I don't know what it is about this beer, but it has never seemed to impress me. I love Lagunitas, and I want to like this beer, but no... Also, I get a little tired of bartenders asking me if there is something wrong with my beer when I am just waiting for it to warm up to something other than 38 F....

2.82/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours a deep orange/ light brownish color, with a light tan head. In the aroma a caramel sweetness and malty. In the taste, caramel, sugary sweet and a dry end. Huge sweetness with a dry end, an aftertaste of brown sugar. It is a bit too sweet for me, but it does hide the alcohol very well.

2.84/5  rDev -29%

Served out of bottle in pint glass. Nice but lighter brown was expecting darker - a few fingers of head that held nicely. Smelled boozey and hoppy for a brown. I was expecting at least a hint of brown sugar and a lot more maltiness. Felt decently carbonated but not too much so, great mouthfeel when warmer. Tasted boozey and hoppy for a brown. Drinkability - I really hadn't read the abv, a little boozey for me.

2.87/5  rDev -28.3%

Ok, if you like bitter hoppiness - which I gather most folk here do.
I prefer smoother tasting Belgians, so this one is not on my list to drink again.

2.88/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

Remeber this one being a lot better, the brown sugar is non existant this year, carbonation a little too high for my liking, it has that soapy aftertaste i hate in a hoppy beer. My rating was 4.25 on this one but ive brought it down a few notches...meh.

2.91/5  rDev -27.3%

Looks great: clear Amber color with massive frothy head that seems to never fade. Smells like burnt plastic, or maybe like after you've run an old school vacuum cleaner too long and the rubber puller started to get hot. As it warms, I do get some light dried apricot but the rubbery plastic is still there. Tastes sweet with carmelized brown sugar, almost syrup or molasses like. Finished a little dry but then the carmelized brown sugar lingers into the finish. Think some of the burnt plastic character carries into the finish also. I get no hops. Feels full with a touch of some warming alcohols, but not hot. Overall, if the strange off note wasn't there I think I could dig. Otherwise, this one is a strange curiosity.

A -
brown orange body head is foamy and creamy looking stays very well

S -
huge brown sugar smell which you expect do to the name but there are also mild hop fruity esters to it

T -
very malty at the beginning of the taste some hops in the middle and loads of brown sugar on the backend

M -
very light on the tongue kind of a dryness in the mouth

D -
overall worth a try but nothing i would really like often

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear brown with almost no head. Some lacing.

Very sweet malty smell.

Very sweet taste - mostly like brown sugar with a hint of alcohol.

The sweetness lingers on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Medium body.

Too sweet for me. It was nice to try but won't seek out again.

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Clear, mahogany-amber pour, with a small beige head that retained well and left splotches of lacing on the glass. Muted caramel aroma, a touch of fruity hops. I really expected something different with this one, but instead got the same old typical, basic, dull Lagunitas flavor. Caramel malts, tree sap, pine and citrus hops, woody nutshells, stale alcohol notes, some off-flavors consistent with oxidation. About medium in body and carbonation. I'd probably never get this again. So many uninteresting beers from this brewery, and this one's no different.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured amber brown with a very weak head that faded into a small white cap. Laced very well for the weak head retention. Just can't understand the twist off cap though.

S - The label says brown sugar and that's exactly what you smell, very sweet indeed. Roasted Carmel malts with molasses tones and maple syrup.

T - Sweet up front which is very nice and balanced, but then WHAM! The rest of the ride is alcohol. I didn't find that very appealing. Overall the taste was very harsh. The sweetness did little to hide the alcohol IMO, very unbalanced.

M - Medium / full bodied and very dry.

D - This is a one and done. The high ABV makes it that way. Not a horrible beer but I would pass on this on in the future.

2.94/5  rDev -26.5%

An elegant pile of foam on the coppery orange brew poured in the New Belgium snifter. Interesting woody and herbal aroma.

Flavor is sweet, inappropriately bitter, murky, and sticky. It tastes like an Old Ale with the candied yams, sweet vermouth, and rust, all followed by a crunch of the aspirin tablet. Aside from the flavor, it's a well-made beer like everything from Lagunitas.

This used to be one of my favorite beers. There was the mystery of them stopping production for a few years-- maybe it was just too good. Why anybody stops making a successful beer needs an answer. It's just unfortunate it seems to be lost forever. From the 12 oz bottle in a six pack tha has been tough to get through. But when you need a bedtime beer with the right punch, you can overlook the taste.

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- It poured a deep amber color with light-medium carbonation. There was a 1/2" tan head that quickly turned to a lace that left a nice stick on the side of the glass.

S- It had a really nice aroma. It was big in both sweet-bread malt and pine-citrus hop scents. Just a hint of alcohol lets you know this beer means business.

T- A bready malt character is initially balanced with some citrus-like hops. However, there is an overwhelmingly sweet finish that came across and didn't sit well with me. The alcohol became more evident as the beer warmed.

M- The initial mouthfeel was really nice. It was smooth and lightly carbonated. However, there was a lingering thickness that allowed the sweet flavor to hang around.

D- Not great. I saw this beer was a definite sipper near the 10% abv mark, but something about the sweetness is a turnoff for me.

Overall- A great beer if you're into sweet. I'm going through a phase of really enjoying malty beers, but this one seems to go too far in the brown sugar direction. There were good things about this beer, but not enough to compensate for the negative for me.

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer had a red hue to it with a minimal head. The beer was very hoppy smelling. This brew I was hoping was going to be really great, but it was just to high on the alcohol burn and too sweet for my taste. I will not buy again

2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

Just received the 2010 bottling. Probably shouldn't be reviewing this for a few years, but what the hell. People are cracking open Vertical Epic 10's! (not me)

A: Swiss cheese head that falls steady down to a finger, decent lacing. Clear burnt orange, no bubbles.

S: Caramel malt, American hops, permenant marker.

T: Caramalized onion complete with a burnt fond bitterness accentuated by the hop profile. Not appealing, oily, with a touch of ass stink. Sweet, week barleywine with something mechanical about it.

M: Flat and off-putting, hurts my teeth. This could use some chilling to make it more viscous.

D: Like it says on the bottle, "It's like feeding raw shark to your gerbil." This beer was young and could use some aging. Would love to get my hands on some barrel-aged BS, though.

Clear deep copper color. 2 finger super sticky and fluffy off white head.

Very abrasive nose. Solvent alcohol hop resin tropical fruit burnt sugars and a bit of sour milk? Nose calms down a bit as the beer breathes.

Milder than the nose but nothing too special. Lots of burnt caramel sugar. Big malty monster really. Pretty smooth and only a touch of alcohol heat. Subtle underlying bitterness that balances the malt. Smooth with pretty good flavors but really nothing special. I like it but its not my first choice.

So, as another poster stated, I'm not a "fancy" reviewer; I just drink the beer and tell you what I think of it. I waited a LONG time to try this beer, and I have to say, I was disappointed. It's not a bad beer, but it didn't taste the way I expected it to. The name doesn't describe the taste IMO, but I can't really get mad about that since it wasn't made to taste like brown sugar (this was a woopsy-daisy barleywine to which they added a poop-ton of brown sugar in an effort to salvage the product...they liked it and decided to bottle it as a beer), and the lingering aftertaste is remarkably brown sugary if you wait a minute or two, and you're looking for it. The immediate impression I got upon first swig was a bit of a watered-down Sierra Nevada, taste-wise. It's got more of a bitter taste than I expected. And it WILL mess you up, consider yourself warned. I drank three and I was so toasted that I got sick, and that doesn't normally happen with me. It's not bad, but it's not something I really think that I'll buy again. I'm more of a Lil Sumpin' kinda girl. If you're looking to get schmammered, I think any Lagunitas beer will do the trick for ya lol, but this one will have you on your ayse for sure.

From bottle to tulip.

Really tried to like this one, but I'm struggling. For such a "sweet" beer, there is an overabundance of earthy hop and alcohol astringency that totally messes up the flavor and aroma. Sometimes I get an intensely sweet, almost-donut flavored dessert beer, and sometimes I get a medicinal herbal mess.

Could greatly benefit from:
-Easing up on the hops
-Using less yeast to allow more sugars to remain unfermented
-Using a juicier hop like Galaxy or Cascade
-Using a Belgian yeast like in Sumpin Wild

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love Lagunitas and really respect their beers but this one was a bit more than what I prefer. I think it is probably a great beer for some people but I had a hard time getting my preferences out of the way and just rating this beer.

It pours a cloudy gold and brown with a small head that was gone quickly. Quite a bit of stuff floating around in there (normal or bad pour?) and the carbonation keeps it moving and keeps a bit of foam on top the whole time. The smell is very hoppy and a little sweet.

The taste hits me. I appreciate the complexity but it is just a bit too hoppy and sweet for me. There is a straw/grain taste and the high alcohol content is definitely noticeable as well as some yeasty overtones. Again, very carbonated feel in your mouth and hoppy and dry at the end. As it warmed up, it did mellow out so maybe I had it colder than this beer should be.

With the high alcohol content of this guy and how harsh it seemed to me, I doubt I could drink more than one. But I should try it again in case it was just a bad pour.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours copper with about an inch of fluffy almost-white head. The head lingers for a while and leaves plenty of lacing behind.

I am shocked and delighted by the hop presence in the nose. Lots of sweet pineapple, and an instant mental association is good pot. ...And I know this sounds crazy, but I get some ketchup from it as well.

Well, it is about as sweet as I had expected, considering the name. Thankfully, the hop bitterness almost balances things out. Not too complex, maple syrup and molasses pitted against citric/piney hops.

It is fairly heavy and lacking in carbonation, so it comes off as pretty syrupy. It's not quite on the level of Super Troopers maple syrup chugging, but I am definitely not running to the fridge to grab another bottle.

Booze isn't present in the flavor, but you definitely get a nice warming sensation from this one. An interesting beer, even if it isn't very complex, but it is too sweet and syrupy to be anywhere near sessionable.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company