Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Ratings: 5,829 |  Reviews: 1,628
2.25/5  rDev -44.2%

Interesting, and yet, undrinkable.
Pretty deep red/brown color, murkiness undercuts the appearance though, thick head with cascades of brown bubbles with an aggressive pour, caramel, sweet, nutty fragrance, taste was a cloying, sick molasses-like sweetness coupled with an overbearing alcohol punch, all other tastes were basically blotted out, mouthfeel was slimy and alcoholic, this beer ended up in the drain half way through, you shouldn't have to try this hard to like a beer

2.34/5  rDev -41.9%

Brightly clear shade of scarlet/mahagony. Very large off white head is overly thick and fluffy with spectacular retention and lace.

Hard too really tell what's going on in the nose. Dried fruity esters, with hints of toffee, and distracting phenols.

Not really what I was expecting. This beer leaves a metal odd finish in your mouth that really takes away from everything. I was expecting a sweeter beer also and this is very dry. There are some toffee, and fruit flavors that are hard to fit. I'm not sure I'll be trying this beer again.

2.35/5  rDev -41.7%

Holy tap-dancing Christ that's sweet. Like almost too sweet.

Yeah. Brown sugar sweet. Like cough syrup or something. Cloying. I can see why some might like it. But not for me. How did this get legendary?

(Retrospect: maybe it's the slightly sweet-cum-boozy undertone that makes people go nuts for it? I don't know; I couldn't get into it.)

2.41/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.41/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Couldn't detect any hoppy aromas in the smell. Taste was overpowering onion and garlic flavors. I fear I had a bad bottle because I usually love Lagunitas other offerings. I will try it again in the future to confirm whether or not this was indeed a bad bottle.

2.42/5  rDev -40%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Nice brown sugar taste but followed by an IPA bitter that I don't care for

2.43/5  rDev -39.7%

This beer pours a ruby color with a one inch reddish white hear. The aroma is of grapefruit and pine. It is a strong, but rather uninteresting aroma. The taste is similar with a sharp alcohol presence that distracts from the rest of the beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer at best. The only other beers I've had that I can recall having such an in your face alcohol presence were all malt liquors, and to be honest I think I could easily describe this beer as being a hoppy malt liquor.

2.48/5  rDev -38.5%

Appearance-Copper, with an off white head with some alcohol legs. Head was about 1-1/2 fingers

Smell-Booze, I get alot booze and sweetness. Lots of sweet malts and sweet caramels. Mainly get some booze.

Taste-Once again, I'm getting a ton of booze, and i'm not enjoying it. Sweet and sticky. Some fruits coming through, but am just getting punched in the face with an unpleasant booziness.

Mouthfeel-Light to Medium bodied, feels kinda water down with too much carbonation.

Overall-I had one of these Saturday night, and hated it. I drank alot that night and didn't know if it was an accurate assumption. I was fortunate to get a single and it was an enormous dissapointment. I'm not going to let this beer change my view on Lagunitas, still a top 5 brewery, maybe Brown Shugga just needs some age.

2.48/5  rDev -38.5%

2.5/5  rDev -38%

It looks real nice, but that's about it. Very hoppy and bitter. This is a once and done for me.

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks nice in the glass. Well-carbonated for a strong ale. Nose is heavy booze, with a touch of brown sugar sweetness. Taste... wow, booze and more booze. Sweet, bordering on sickeningly so. Nothing else really stands out. Would much rather have their replacement (Sucks) than this.

**Re-review a couple weeks later... Smelled and tasted great, though still a bit boozy. I think maybe my initial review was of a compromised bottle. The place where I bought the 6-pack had been out of Shugga' for several weeks at least, but lo and behold, I spied a sixer in a plain label mixed pack with Lagunitas caps, way behind the other beers. Pulled it out and discovered 6 bottles of Shugga' and was ecstatic! Well, maybe something happened to the previous bottle I reviewed, because I came back and drank two a couple weeks later and it tasted wonderful.

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured reddish brown, like sweetened ice tea that had food colouring in it. There was a thin off white(almost a touch yellow) head that faded but left lacing and a ring around the glass.

The smell has some hop bitterness to it, with a sweet molasses smell and a warning liquor odor as well. The smell isn't a real turn on yet, but I'll be keeping my nose in there as the beer warms.

As the beer warms some of the bitter smell fades and more of the sweetness stands out.

The taste is sweet. Too sweet really. There is a faint bitterness to the finish but nothing near enough to balance out the big sticky sugary front. It is far too candy like and becomes overpowering.

On the other hand mouthfeel is good. Has a thickness to it and a light carbonation that makes it comfortable in the mouth.

Drinkability suffers due to the taste. I can't drink this for too long. Though the alcohol doesn't show up much in the flavour, the high percentage also means drinking much of this would be trouble.

I won't be able to finish this big bottle. Doubt I'll even get through the first pint I poured out of it. Not what I'm looking for in a beer.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company