Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Ratings: 5,656 |  Reviews: 1,583
2.35/5  rDev -41.3%

Holy tap-dancing Christ that's sweet. Like almost too sweet.

Yeah. Brown sugar sweet. Like cough syrup or something. Cloying. I can see why some might like it. But not for me. How did this get legendary?

(Retrospect: maybe it's the slightly sweet-cum-boozy undertone that makes people go nuts for it? I don't know; I couldn't get into it.)

2.41/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.41/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Couldn't detect any hoppy aromas in the smell. Taste was overpowering onion and garlic flavors. I fear I had a bad bottle because I usually love Lagunitas other offerings. I will try it again in the future to confirm whether or not this was indeed a bad bottle.

2.42/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Nice brown sugar taste but followed by an IPA bitter that I don't care for

2.43/5  rDev -39.3%

This beer pours a ruby color with a one inch reddish white hear. The aroma is of grapefruit and pine. It is a strong, but rather uninteresting aroma. The taste is similar with a sharp alcohol presence that distracts from the rest of the beer. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer at best. The only other beers I've had that I can recall having such an in your face alcohol presence were all malt liquors, and to be honest I think I could easily describe this beer as being a hoppy malt liquor.

2.48/5  rDev -38%

Appearance-Copper, with an off white head with some alcohol legs. Head was about 1-1/2 fingers

Smell-Booze, I get alot booze and sweetness. Lots of sweet malts and sweet caramels. Mainly get some booze.

Taste-Once again, I'm getting a ton of booze, and i'm not enjoying it. Sweet and sticky. Some fruits coming through, but am just getting punched in the face with an unpleasant booziness.

Mouthfeel-Light to Medium bodied, feels kinda water down with too much carbonation.

Overall-I had one of these Saturday night, and hated it. I drank alot that night and didn't know if it was an accurate assumption. I was fortunate to get a single and it was an enormous dissapointment. I'm not going to let this beer change my view on Lagunitas, still a top 5 brewery, maybe Brown Shugga just needs some age.

2.48/5  rDev -38%

2.53/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks nice in the glass. Well-carbonated for a strong ale. Nose is heavy booze, with a touch of brown sugar sweetness. Taste... wow, booze and more booze. Sweet, bordering on sickeningly so. Nothing else really stands out. Would much rather have their replacement (Sucks) than this.

**Re-review a couple weeks later... Smelled and tasted great, though still a bit boozy. I think maybe my initial review was of a compromised bottle. The place where I bought the 6-pack had been out of Shugga' for several weeks at least, but lo and behold, I spied a sixer in a plain label mixed pack with Lagunitas caps, way behind the other beers. Pulled it out and discovered 6 bottles of Shugga' and was ecstatic! Well, maybe something happened to the previous bottle I reviewed, because I came back and drank two a couple weeks later and it tasted wonderful.

2.53/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured reddish brown, like sweetened ice tea that had food colouring in it. There was a thin off white(almost a touch yellow) head that faded but left lacing and a ring around the glass.

The smell has some hop bitterness to it, with a sweet molasses smell and a warning liquor odor as well. The smell isn't a real turn on yet, but I'll be keeping my nose in there as the beer warms.

As the beer warms some of the bitter smell fades and more of the sweetness stands out.

The taste is sweet. Too sweet really. There is a faint bitterness to the finish but nothing near enough to balance out the big sticky sugary front. It is far too candy like and becomes overpowering.

On the other hand mouthfeel is good. Has a thickness to it and a light carbonation that makes it comfortable in the mouth.

Drinkability suffers due to the taste. I can't drink this for too long. Though the alcohol doesn't show up much in the flavour, the high percentage also means drinking much of this would be trouble.

I won't be able to finish this big bottle. Doubt I'll even get through the first pint I poured out of it. Not what I'm looking for in a beer.

2.58/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.61/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.62/5  rDev -34.5%

12 oz bottle. some sort of coding on bottle but i cant make out what it is.

A: bright copper. clear. head is big and white. retention is great as is the amount of lacing left on the glass.

S: smells like spoiled raisins. cant tell if this is a diac brew or what. but something serious is wrong here.

T: the sweetness is prominent and a bit cloying. in an unpleasant manor. plums. a defiant old sweet malt flavor. meh.

M: moderate carb on a full body.

D: unrefined and crude is what first comes to mind. i recall this being hoppier the first time i had it, while this bottle just seemed like a mess. either way, cant say i have ever been blown away by this beer. pass.

2.68/5  rDev -33%

Thanks to Boolshot for a great trade.

Served in a wiezen glass:

Appearance: Pours a very clear and clean shade of orangey brown. A steady and unexpected bead is found as well. Minimal head that died down quick.

Smell: Smells of citrus and a strange malty funk. Profuse alcohol is also noted. This overall aroma is just off, I cant explain it.

Taste: The tip of my tongue felt an alcohol sting right off the bat. I then detect that weird malty funk followed immediatly by citrusy then bitter hops. Alcohol blazes a trail from the back of my throat down to my gut. This tastes like a poor homebrew. This one is also getting cloying as it warms. Its just tastes like counterfiet malt sweetness. Please skip the brown sugar and introduce "natural malt."

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with a mild carbonation that dies out all too fast. Leaving a flat liquid. The hops do add a descent amount of oily slickness.

Drinkability: Please dont get me wrong, I am a huge fan of big ales but this train wreck is horribly disgusting. Not one of my favorites and I suggest that this beer should be avoided at all cost unless your looking for a buzz free of flavor. I love this brewery but this offering is just way off base.

2.71/5  rDev -32.3%

Beautiful bronze. Modest head.

The aromas provde more than the taste. Toffee, caramel sweetness.

This is a good beer but there is a significant lack of maltiness to this beer. The sweetness is well done. The hops are welcomed but bit heavy handed. Some bready-yeasty support wopuld do this well.

A good beer. I think it will age well. Thbe hops will subside and perhaps reveal other layers and reduce prevalence of the ABV.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company