Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

It has an good copper color, but seemed to have some haziness about it. There is a large amount of hops, but has an aftertaste of brown sugar. It is a good mix, but not a beer you would want to drink a whole six pack of. This was my first Lagunitas, so I am sure that I will have more.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Celebrating my two year anniversary at the high school I currently teach at in Korea, I wanted a way to bring it all back home so to speak, enjoying this California beer, even though I have been across the Pacific for some time now. I have had this little gem sitting in my 'fridge for a while, and thought it the perfect opportunity to open it up, and enjoy its bountiful offerings.

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into an appropriate cup, it came out smooth, a darkened-Amber color flowing seamlessly from vessel to vessel. Settling nicely with minimal foam, apart from its appearance, the first thing that jumped out at me from the wide rim of the glass, was the aroma; a strong scent which transported my mind immediately back to California, regardless of my actual physical location. I could almost taste this beer through its smell; that strong, and that alluring.

Upon tasting though, my realities were again questioned, as this 9.9% ale packs a punch even as it sat in my mouth, visiting it seemed, all 5,000 taste buds before making its rounds to the neurons within my brain. This beer I was enjoying, was at a time, part of a larger six-pack, but while drinking just this one for my celebration, it was beyond me how long it would take to finish all six. Woulda been silly!

Overall, as the statistics prove, this is an absolutely incredible beer, taking no prisoners, while at the same time, allowing for...ne...encouraging transcendence beyond space and time. My space is here in Korea, my time is for the past two years, but while I sipped on this Brown Shugga', I was back along the West Coast, in mind, body, and soul...

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company