Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Ratings: 5,684 |  Reviews: 1,590
4.89/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours and attractive red. Nice white head, super sticky lacing, I could count every sip. Smells amazing, like a bowl of hops mixed with brown sugar. Taste is on point, super unique, piney hops combat sugary sweet in a ballet of utterly foundation-shattering deliciousness. Mouthfeel? Well this beer is 9.99% and its so delicious I could keep drinking until the tap runs dry, so it feels great in the mouth, and even better in the belly. Overall this beer is amazing. 9.99% delicious beer, for $9.99 a sixer. Lagunitas continues to amaze me and solidify it's spot as my No.1 coolest brewery.

9.99% sells for $9.99 a sixer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

4.86/5  rDev +21.5%

Lagunitas Brown Sugga

Due to Lagunitas constantly putting out great beer ( for the most part ) I wanted this one for quite some time. Seeing as this is the brew Sucks replaced, I shall hold it to the same standard in terms of my ratings. Finally at long last found a sixer for $11.99 at my local shop. Drank one, and I'll review on the second one. Passed up Blackout Stout for this guy, let's hope it was worth it. Enough talk, let's crack this fucker.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a crystal clear amber with a monster moderately off white head that sticks around forever and a half leaving immediate stick as it slowly dies down to a large frothy canyon amongst the top of the drink. The carbonation appears to be very low on this brew. Lacing is extraordinarily attractive after the brew is finished and leaves a nice sticky ladder to the depthsof the promised land of hell.

Smell - The nose starts of pungent with a large smack in the face of bitter fruit juices and brown sugar. There is an ever presence of alcohol as expected for 9.8% but it is nice and fits the beer very well. Doesn't smell like a high abv stout or what have you, much cleaner without any specific alcoholic beverage to match it up to. Caramel maltyness as well.

Taste - The flavor profile starts off with a smorgasbord of that big bitter fruit juicyness I mentioned in the smell. The brown sugar and malty goodness are as prevent as you would think and the two meld perfectly and turn just a touch spicy on the tail end. Alcohol has a bit of a showing at the tail end as well though it is very tame for the beer being nearly ten fucking percent. The fruits I'm picking up are pineapple dominant with a touch of grapefruit and mango.

Feel - The feel on this one can vary considerably depending on the temperature of the beer as I've noticed. Drink this one on the warm side for full effect. Body is thin to full,again, depending on the temperature. Since the head has settles down to a thick frothy cap after half an hour the brew is very creamy. A nice spicyness in the mouth and all the flavors mentioned in the nose remain. A bit of an alcohol bite but it is so pleasant and fittingly so that you'll wanna smack your wife.

Overall - Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. This one was well worth the wait. A perfect unison of malt and hop. Too fucking easy to drink at just barely shy of 10%. Flavors come together as best they can for the abv and they are just...damn bruh. Lagunitas really did it with this beer. One of the best strong IPAs I have ever come across. Of you are a DIPA fan and you see this, buy it. All. It reminded me of the undercover shutdown ale they put out, only with better hoppyness and better balance. Truly a masterpiece. End review..

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I've ever had. End of sentence.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say? To me, this is just one of those beers that I fell in love with from the first drop that hit my tongue. Right off the bat you get the hoppy sensation that wakes your taste buds and lets them know that you mean business. And there is no denying the brown sugar that they so proudly named this beer after. But don't get too caught up in getting that third and forth opinon too quickly the ABV will sneak up on you very fast.

Look both ways before you cross the street with this treat.

4.84/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +21%

Strong and super tasty, excellent brew.

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Drank from a 12 FLUID OZ bottle purchased at Crazy Bruce's Liquors, West Hartford, CT

Poured a gorgeous, crystal clear, dark crimson-orange with a tight, creamy, two-finger, light saddle head that slowly faded to a thick ring of froth. Lots of spotty lacing stuck all along the glass.

The aroma was intense and enticing. As the name suggests, brown sugar was immediately noticeable. Rich, caramel malts also came through strong along with hints of Christmas cookies and a touch of alcohol. A nice mix of sweet and spicy.

The flavor was full, rich and incredibly well balanced. So smooth and creamy. Tons of bready, rich, sweet malts came through up front. Brown sugar and gingerbread were noticeable in the center. Juicy, ripe fruits (peaches and apricots) came through as well. Sweet, citrusy hops (some orange peel) appeared in the finish along with indications of orange liquor. A sweet, sticky coating of this orange liquor-like flavor lingered in my mouth (as well as on my lips) long after the beer was finished.

Mouthfeel was creamy, smooth and medium-full bodied with a fine, mild carbonation. Silky smooth on the palate. Syrupy and sticky.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. The alcohol in this beer is hitting me hard but where did the liquid go? I simply cannot believe I am almost finished. I have labeled other beers as being "dangerously drinkable" but this one puts them to shame. 9.9% ABV? This certainly must be a typo.

Simply put, this is an exceptionally well-rounded beer. Its sweet, sugary aspect is apparent, yet it never becomes cloying or messy. (This beer borders on being a sweeter version of a barleywine, and a damn fine one at that.) Brown Shugga' actually reminds me a great deal of Lagunitas's own Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale, but slightly better. I advise you to seek out this magical beer at any cost.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%

Found this on tap at Old Chicago in Peoria!

A - Clear amber brew topped with a tight one finger white head of really fluffy and crispy-looking foam. The head reminds me of that white stuff that people put underneath their Christmas villages.

S - Wow! Super-hoppy and very sugary too. I can smell the brown sugar for sure, but this is pretty much all about the big Northwestern hops. Cascade maybe?

T - This is really piney, a little bit citrusy, and very solidly malted too. The brown sugar is there, but again...hop city! The malts live up to the very demanding nature of the hops and serve to make this crazy brew balanced....if you can call a nearly 10% abv beer brewed with brown sugar balanced.

M - Full bodied, nicely carbonated...crisp, but never distracting from the flavor. Really sugary and boozy. This is balanced, moderately dry on the finish, and somewhat oily. A very solid and structured brew!

D - Sobriety be damned! I want more of this glorious stuff! This is really an outstanding brew....could take the place of a brandy after dinner, but it's balanced enough to drink a few of if you aren't planning on operating any heavy machinery in the next few hours!

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%

This was a surprisingly drinkable beer considering the high IBU and ABV. The balance between the bitterness and the sweetness is very unique for me. Poured into a Pilsner Glass left it with a nice frothy head with a strong lace. I can find absolutely nothing wrong with this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

A - Pours a rich, hearty reddish-brown. Reminds me of fall leaves. A moderate sized head the color of brown sugar (no surprise) lingers a long time as a layer of foamy bubbles. Sticky lacing lingers on the glass.

S - This is seriously the best-smelling beer I have ever come across. A candied, caramellized hops note comes on strong, with a background of berries, spices and brown sugar. Deliciously complex with a smooth, sweet citrus finish. I know this is my second cheesy, poetic statement of this review, but for some reason I immediately thought of Christmas. I really did.

T - Oh my god I want to make love to this beer. The first taste is of candied, citrusy hops, tart but perfectly balanced out by the sweet brown sugary finish. An warm aftertaste of alcohol, sugar and cranberries. Delicous, complex, unique... what else is there to say?

M - This is the only place where I can really dock this beer any points. The high alcohol content, while it doesn't ruin the taste, gives it a hot feeling in the mouth and throat. The thickness is a little much, as well - bordering on syrupy. Relatively minor flaws, however, given the beer overall.

D - Never have I so happily sipped down a 12 oz. glass of beer over a 45 minute period. This has to be my #1 pick for a winter/Christmas beer, even though I don't believe it's marketed as a holiday ale. Just smelling and looking at this beer had me rambling on about the changing seasons and Christmas... enough said. I bought a single bottle of this as part of a $9.99 pick-your-own six pack; if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have taken out six of these and happily marched up to the counter.

In short, it makes Arrogant Bastard look like liquified dog sh*t - buy it on sight.

4.8/5  rDev +20%

this beer was recommended to me and serves as my introduction to Lagunitas Beers. I love it. It is such a drinkable beer at 9.9% abv. It deserves respect. I don't think that it will improve with age, it is perfect as is! I would definitely try more of Lagunitas.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company