Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

4.03/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 5,690 |  Reviews: 1,592
2.71/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured amber/brown from the bottle with about a finger of off-white head. Aroma was mostly hoppy, similar to a pale ale or IPA, and the taste came off the same way. I didn't notice a lot of balance to the beer--citrus, almost pineapple-like hoppiness accompanied by some sugar sweetness. I almost felt like I was drinking a boozey (the ABV was up-front) pineapple upsidedown cake. Mouthfeel may have been the high point, as Brown Shugga' drank like a nice, full brew. With the ABV as high and noticeable, however, I wouldn't want to drink many of these.

2.72/5  rDev -32.5%

Ok, i LOVE Lagunitas, maybe my favorite brewery. So, i was waiting on finding this to try it out.
Everything else they brew i seem to love, but this, this is just not for me. I am trying to not be too hard on it. Well, first off, i used to have a cat years ago that would piss on the front door if i was sleeping and couldnt let him out, and this beer smells like what that cat was pissing. So right off, i am not too happy, but it could get better...Mouthfeel is ok, but damned if it doesnt taste like it smells, cat piss. I mustve had a funky assed cat cause at 16 when his bladder was iffy and he couldnt wait, he was pissing Brown Shugga. I just cant get over it. Not even sure i can give this a fair review because of it.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

Sure the amber brown color with nice head lures one into a false sense of security...Then BAM you take one to the buds!!!! The strong alcohol detracts from the buzz of this beer. This beer is tough and definitely not a session brew. However, if you can stick through the first half of the bottle the beer smooths out...most likely cuz the taste buds are numb. Certainly worth a try, but a six will do just fine.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was a bit disappointed by this beer. The smell is alcohol, brown sugar, some spicy Lagunitas style hops. The taste is sweet and strong. I prefer Undercover Shutdown. nb

2.76/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours transparent ruby amber. When I hold it up to the light, I see right through. Off-white, slightly tan head. Smaller than I expected. Less than a half inch of foam that dissipates rather quickly. Some lacing.

Smells of sweet malt, liquorice, a little citrus, and a hint of the alcohol.

Sweet, creamy brown sugar upfront, hops in the middle, and a warm bitter finish. Some grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is silky and creamy, some carbonation, and a warm finish. Sweetness and syrup feeling lingers.

A nice holiday beer. Very good on a cold night, but not something I would want every day.

2.77/5  rDev -31.3%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A---It poured a murky copper with a thin beige head.

S---Maple, molasses, burnt sugar, nutmeg and phenols.

T---Burning hot alcohol shifting to sweet caramelized sugar. It finished dry and salty. Tongue numbing and unpleasant tasting in my opinion.

M---Thin-Medium bodied.

D---A little less then average is the best way I can describe this.

2.78/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bitter, burnt sugar notes throughout

2.79/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Far too hoppy for my palate.

2.79/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance: Clear amber-red in my tulip, nicely colored with an off-white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Rich, sweet and fruity. I suppose there's a trace of brown sugar, but this is more fruity and boozy than anything. Faint sourness as well, along with a bit of leafy hops.

Taste & mouthfeel: As the aroma implies, this borders on being cloyingly sweet. Heavy on the palate but somewhat muddled, the faint fruity sourness doesn't gel right with the spicy sweetness and leafy hop bite. Somewhat thin in body despite the sweetness, with a surprisingly bitter finish. Can't say that I'm a fan of this one.

2.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Got word that I was being released at three bars in my area on the same night, some sort of "release party..." Got there right around 8:30, and the bartender said I was the first one to try it. So the ice cold beer went into the shaker...

A - Amber body, decent head, pretty standard.

T - Fruity citrus hops stuck out, with some barleywine-like alcohol notes. Again, not very exciting...

T - Entry seemed to focus on the sweet alcohol. Cherry and orange flavors seemed off in the dry finish.

M - Very full and smooth mouthfeel. First thing about this beer I liked...

D - I don't know what it is about this beer, but it has never seemed to impress me. I love Lagunitas, and I want to like this beer, but no... Also, I get a little tired of bartenders asking me if there is something wrong with my beer when I am just waiting for it to warm up to something other than 38 F....

2.82/5  rDev -30%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bitter but not a big hop guy good for an ale

2.82/5  rDev -30%

Pours a deep orange/ light brownish color, with a light tan head. In the aroma a caramel sweetness and malty. In the taste, caramel, sugary sweet and a dry end. Huge sweetness with a dry end, an aftertaste of brown sugar. It is a bit too sweet for me, but it does hide the alcohol very well.

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.84/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

GROSS! thought it would be good not at all. Didn't even finish my sample!

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company