Brown Shugga' | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Ratings: 5,676 |  Reviews: 1,588
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Very rich. Very sweet. The brown sugar added during the brewing permeates every aspect of this beer. It poured a color only of what I could describe as liquified brown sugar. A foamy head formed, and as I drank a sticky lace was on the glass. The aroma was of brown sugar. The flavor was of brown sugar. By the way, I like brown sugar. I used to sneak it out of the bowl as a kid when my Mom would bake. There were other tones in this beer: the malt was a nice backdrop flavor to the brown sugar. The only negative was that it was so rich and the alcohol was pretty strong I am not sure I could drink too many of these. My palate would be worn down.

3.84/5  rDev -4%

Brown sugar

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada Celebration pint glass.

The color is a clear amber/gold with a finger of foamy head and some slight lacing left on the glass.

The smell has a slight Christmas cookie aroma that us a little sugar and a little but dough in the nose. There is a slight ginger aroma here as well.

The taste has a sweet sugar flavor that has a hint of bread and a nice cookie flavor that is slightly mixed with ginger and brown sugar.

The feel of this beer is medium bodied and has a nice drinkable feel to it. There is a nice smoothness that has a great silky feel

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a speiglau IPA glass.

Look is a dark amber bordering on cola with a big white head.

Aroma is malty alcohol lotta biscuit to it.

Taste is a very strong hoppy barleywine. Similar to fresh Bigfoot.

Good, but I'd kinda like to see the hops integrated more thoroughly.

3.74/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a clear red-orange color with a small head after a pretty aggressive pour. The head falls quickly and there are very few bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: I initially got a good amount of citrus hops and some spicy notes from the alcohol. There is a little bit of sweetness, but for the most part, the hops and alcohol are in charge.

Taste: The flavor is also hoppy with some evident sweetness from the sugar. The sugar has a slight syrupy impression that is as much mouthfeel as anything. The beer is attenuated, but it certainly isn't dry. The dryness comes from the hop bitterness as anything. The balance is slightly tipped toward the sweetness in the end with the alcohol setting as an evident warming to linger for a little while in the finish.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer. I like that it is still balanced slightly toward the sweetness. It is not a beer that I would drink a lot of, but it is pretty tasty and this is the last beer that I bought from a 6-pack. I don't regret that purchase, so you may want to try one too.

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip. Julian dating 281 5 (October 8, 2015)
Pours a nice dark amber-red-brwon with a lot of off white head. My glass is full of lacing....ridiculous!
Getting a nice hoppy aroma, not what I was expecting, although I don't really know what I was expecting...Sour lemon and pine dominating.
Taste...Clean hops taste up front with pine and a citrus bite; maltiness comes in at the end to round that out and then leaves a nice bitterness behind on the palate.
Mouth feel is...well I guess medium. Not a hint of the 9.8% abv that's listed on the label. Honestly I had no idea it had that high of an abv, either.
Overall, I never really looked into it or had plans of buying it, so when I had to complete a mix-a-six I saw this on the shelf and grabbed one. I liked it, but not enough to really go and look for it again; just satisfied with it to have had it this one time. Reminds me of Arrogant Bastard a little, just not hoppy enough. This isn't a bad beer by any means; I won't be rating low, it's like I said I won't really be seeking this one out again.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

A= the pour reveals a move amber beer with a nice looking slightly off white head on it. The head holds decent retention and spotty lacing.

S= a really nice smell to it. I would describe it as balanced due to the tremendous amount of hops and sweet malts. I'm not sure if its placebo but I do get some brown sugar. Nice fruity hops to it.

T= the taste is amazing. Such great flavors. I feel like this is a hop heads ber as well as someone who perfers a more malty base. There is a great amount of fruity hops to it and the brown sugar add a lot. A unique beer for sure.

M= a great body to it. Perfect carbonation to it.

D= great beer. Ill be buying a lot of this in the future. Another home run by lagunitas. I could drunk this all day.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

A: pours a nice looking reddish brown with a finger of off white head and good retention into a dogfish head snifter. nice lacing throughout the drink as well
S: smells of piney hops and citrus. not a lot of sweetness but a little bit of herbal hops as well
T: nice caramel and brown sugar sweetness up front with some slightly piney hops swallow brings a nice oily pine hop with some equally tasty residual sweetness
M: medium carb and a slightly heavy mouthfeel but not excessively viscous
O: pretty tasty beer. good flavors and some nice complexity. I like sucks a little more but this beer is pretty tasty. The hoppiness surprised me but it keeps the sweetness in check.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Review from notes, 1/16/11. Bottle, pint glass.

This beer pours a very attractive and rich copper color. There was a significant head, which I wasn't really expecting.

Immediately this smelled of hops on the nose. I can't tell if the hops are citrus or pine forward, I pick up some grapefruit but there are earthy/grainy undertones as well. The sweetness of the brown sugar is there as well, almost 50/50 with the hops.

The taste is what you would expect after smelling this beer, hop bitterness and sweetness on the tongue. Brown sugar and carmel malts as well. Very full bodied and strong, with a little alcohol kick.

MF: Full bodied, drying.

Drinkability: Not bad, not great. I finished the bottle and wasn't looking for another one, so probably typical for the style. I'll say above average.

4.16/5  rDev +4%

3.56/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.12/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep copper color with about a two inch off white head, good lacing head stays around for awhile.
Smell sweet piney nose fruity citrus notes
taste is a little surprising little citrus and orange peel up front slightly sweet just enough hoppy flavor little tang on the back end.
Feel is very smooth clean easy drinking.
Overall a very good beer i enjoyed drinking very much.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

3.69/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.
2010 vintage

A: Hazy, dark amber color with less than one finger of diminishing parchment-tinted foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Intensely malty; treacle, grain, and dark cherry and fig fruit are focused. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins sweet, with simplistic stewed fruit and caramel. Acidity is mild into the middle where malt is intensely toasty--even turning roasty--some dark citrus emerges, and even a whiff of pine is detected. The finish exhibits minor diacetyl and is savory with umami and cumin spice. Mild medicinal bitterness lingers on the palate, with complex spirituousness also hanging around.

M: Medium viscosity, syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Perhaps the finest of Lagunitas' high-gravity beers, this appears to be an American take on an old ale or wee heavy. Fruit and umami make for a distinctive combination, reigning over muted hops in this well-aged example. Like most of the beers coming out of Petaluma, this beer's intensity has a tendency to fatigue the palate, but less so due to the focus exhibited by its ingredients.

3.6/5  rDev -10%

Clearish brown with a hint of red. A little viscous. Nose is alcohol, some malts, and sweetness. Almost like a malty wine. Taste is like a bitter barley wine. Has hints of smoke, sweetness is there but not too overdone, and hops in the finish. Alcohol is hidden pretty well in the taste (although not in the nose). Not bad.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company