12th Of Never Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

3.98/5
12th Of Never Ale12th Of Never Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Tropically Hoppy. Light, yet Full-Bodied. Bright and Citrusy. Word.

The magical, mystical 12th of Never is a blend of Old and New School hops that play bright citrus, rich coconut, and papaya-esque flavors, all on a solid stage of English puffed wheat. Tropically hoppy. Light, yet full-bodied. Bright and citrusy. The 12th of Never Ale is everything we’ve learned about making hop-forward beer expressed in a moderate voice. Pale, cold, slightly alcoholic and bitter. It’s all we know.

These 12oz mini-kegs (AKA cans) are an exciting new option for us, and we are stoopid stoked at the opportunity for y’all to take us to all those new, nelophobic locations…

Added by WCKDVBZ on 05-26-2016

4.1/5  rDev +3%

3.36/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

24 ounce can with no date. Pours a light gold with foamy white head. Nose is citrus, hops, pine. Taste is not like the smell. It's more like a wheat beer that is hop forward. I'm getting some cracker malts but the hops and citrus are muted and don't balance well together. Mouthfeel is light to medium. Overall it's not bad, but probably my least favorite offering from Lagunitas.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12th of Never pours a golden color, with a small, barley lacing head. Nice mellow aroma, hints of pine and hops. Taste is lighter, lots of pine and hops, with a watery bitter finish. Just a tad watery. Overall, a pretty okay beer.

2.92/5  rDev -26.6%

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev -0.5%

When I embarked on The CANQuest (tm) over a decade ago, Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale was the only micro in a CAN & in a 12-fl. oz. CAN at that. Since then, we have seen Pounder CANs, SlimLine CANs (think Red Bull), Crowlers & now the latest, Stovepipe CANs (19.2-fl. oz.). Today's side-by-side with CANsist of a 12-fl. oz. CAN, followed by a Stovepipe CAN. How exciting! No? Just to me? Oh, well.

From the 12oz mini-keg CAN: "... I asked her 'Where do we go from here? Who IS my partner in crime?' and then it struck me, like an arrow, right between the eyes ..."; "As the River Styx froze and the final pig took flight, when the last winged monkey departed the darkly fragrant Netherlands, as wishes became horses and all the beggars rode ..."; "... under a newly-blued moon at dawn on the very 12th of Never: the second-to-last craft brewery in America pressed the green 'start' button on their canning line. We wanted to be the Last Small Brewer in the U.S. to can their beer and maybe, finally, by now, we are ..."; "The '12th of Never Ale' is everything we've learned about making hop-forward beer expressed in a moderate voice. Pale, cold, slightly alcoholic, and bitter. It's all we know. Call us sometime - 707.769.4995"; "Cheers!'

Pulling up on the pretty purple tab until I heard a loud Crack!, I was reminded of my very early childhood when purple was absolutely my favorite color. My mother owned a beautiful purple dress made of a rough fabric & I even had a birthday cake with purple frosting one year. Purple remains a stunning color & this CAN really stood out from the others. I CANducted a slow, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass, followed by an in-glass swirl which raised just over a finger of foamy, rocky, bone-white head with decent retention, leaving behind great lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-plus quality clarity, bringing The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus running in to have a taste. Nose smelled like, well, I am going to agree with teramous here & say, Tropical Fruit Cup! Mango, papaya, guava & pineapple all came to play in this one. Mmm. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste, while fruity, was not as pronounced as it had been on the nose. What I did get in abundance, however, was Kellogg's Puffed Wheat, which I CANflated with their Puffa Puffa Rice, both of which I ate at my maternal grandparents' house as a kid. I thought that it was Puffa Puffa Wheat until I looked it up. Puffed wheat with pineapple! We used to have A&P Pineapple Juice in a CAN at breakfast. Oh my, this was liquid nostalgia. Finish was semi-dry, not as sweet as I may have been making it out to be. I really enjoyed this little trip down memory lane & I will let my grandparents know the next time that I go to visit them. They are buried in St. Anthony's Cemetery, across from Burrowes ES, where I ocCANsionally substitute teach.

From the 19.2-fl. oz. Stovepipe CAN: "... I was walking down the street, just couldn't keep from cryin'. That girl I love, she sure was on my mind ...", plus the previous verbiage.

The Crack! was louder than ever! I shoulda worn hearing protection. What? I signaled the crane operator to swing the boom around so that I could lift this monster long enough to begin a Glug. Nothing had really changed, other than the size of the CAN. Loads of tropical fruit flavors, especially pineapple, along with puffed wheat. Here, it comes down to price point and capacity. If it were cheaper by the fl. oz. in the mini-keg, that would win out. However, if it were cheaper in the Stovepipe, I would have to CANsider just how many I CAN open & drink before filling the tank. I might even take a devil-may-care attitude & go with the Stovepipes just to see how far I CAN get. YMMV.

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taste: crisp floral bright almost citrus hops, balanced clean finish. Herbal, fruit, earthy hop nose. Pale Gold, slight haze, gentle white foam with a ring of lace on glass. Medium body. 45 IBUs

2.89/5  rDev -27.4%

As with most things, ratings are subjective.
Cloudy amber, ample head.
Citrusy aroma, dominant taste of grapefruit. Some may like this, I do not.

4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

9/30/17 (Chicago). 12 oz can poured into snifter glass. Light golden pour, generous carbonation, light fluffy head. Orange lemon, wheat aroma, strong and pleasant. Light, orange and wheat firm taste, bitter pleasant offset. Light texture, easy drinking. Overall very good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

4.09/5  rDev +2.8%

4.22/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

This is really, really good.......a nice session APA that is fruity/hoppy, yet perfectly bitter with a nice malt touch. This is my new favorite from this brewery.

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is as good as universally available tall boys get. I conscientious IPA, with a solid foreground of pepper which paves the way for summer-y notes. Lagunitas always does the pepper well, and the trait is on full display with this offering. The layers have a logical, though not clinical, progression.

It's incredibly refreshing, which is dangerous because it packs quite the ABV punch.

And it's a great name. That's got to be worth something, right?

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%