The Hairy Eyeball | Lagunitas Brewing Company

1.25/5  rDev -67.6%

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

1.56/5  rDev -59.6%

I did try this beer and I hate it. I will drink anything and everything. This beer was just not my thing. I would suggest that you do try it because Laginitas dose a great job at brewing and I find no real flaws with this beer (other than I don't Like its taste). I read the reveiw prior and I think this guy did like it and describe it correctly. I'll post his quote now "caramel, burnt sugar, golden raisins, with a slowly drying lightly bitter finish. Uninspiring..." and I would add very slightly if any bitter finish. OUT of BALANCE. raisen bomb. poop! but I'm an IPA lover so go figure. You decide!

1.88/5  rDev -51.3%

2.11/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

The is the most overly malty ale I have ever had and I'm a fan of Lagunitas. It's way off in balance and I've tried it 3 times thinking I got an older bottle, it's under carbonated and just to dang sweet. It's just not a good beer for them and others are rating it because it's Lagunitas and not what it should be rated at. Sorry it's just not that good.

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

Wasn't quite sure what type of beer this was, as the label simply called it an ale. The only hint was 9% abv. I picked up a bottle of this out of curiosity.
Overall, this beer seemed a bit of a mess. Malty and strong are about all I can say about it. The flavor was pretty uninteresting and became even more so as I finished my glass.

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Unique, nice looking clear, dark mahogony color with minimal head presense despite aggressive poor (no head within 30 seconds)

Smell - sweet and malty

Taste - Very Sweet and very heavy. Hoppy aspirin like bitter finish. Not sure I like this one at all. Tastes like a combination of Robitusin with groundup aspirin in it.

Mouthfeel - Syrup like.

Overall - I don't understand the hype for this beer. Its quite difficult to drink and the flavors just don't work for my pallet at all. Beers over 8% are very hit or miss for me. A few A+'s and a several D's and even an F. This one is a big D (only because it looks and smells ok). I will not be able to finish this one.

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

Bottle boured to serving sample.

A: deep dark brown/ black, somewhat clear, very thin head
S: very hoppy, earthy
T: cough syrup, very hoppy, coffee/ caramel, smokey
M: very heavy/ thick, hoppy bite, awful aftertaste
D: tough

Im glad I didn't have more than the serving sample.
I felt like I was sick and my mom was forcing me to take the cough syrup

2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

Tastes and smells like alcohol with a slight malt backbone.

2.34/5  rDev -39.4%

Pours out a rosey purple brown body with a 1/4" head that fizzles down to a thin layer of foam. Some head clings to the glass in scant patterns. First smell I get is a bit like rotting oranges. What follows is straight up sweet, darker malts, alcohol and a bit of citrus hops. When I taste this, i basically get a barrage of sweet malt body, piney hops, bitterness (quite bitter for a 50-something IBU beer), and a finish that is medicinal in the amount of alcohol. I can pick out some flavor as the aftertaste lingers, which is a blend of chewy dried fruit and pine resin. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit slick. Mild carbonation. Yeah, I don't really want to drink this all that much. I remember liking this a couple years back. Kind of nauseating now.

2.38/5  rDev -38.3%

Got this one at the local beer store because of the interesting name...

A: Deep beautiful red. Tiny white head that quickly fades. Good.

S: Hard to get a strong scent. Once you do you kind of get a barleywine and tripel mixed scented beer. Eh, ok.

T: Bitter hops with almost a slight V8 type flavor. A little too weird. Bitter hops in the middle. Ick.

M: Goes down a little too thick for the style.

D: Ok, nothing good.

All in all, this brew is not very good. Avoid!

2.39/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured into tulip. Pours dark copper with a reddish hue. Thin off white head reduces to an extremely thin lacing quickly. Aroma is solventy/ heavy alcohol with hints of dark fruits. Flavor is heavy on the alcohol to the point that you would think it's higher than 9.6%. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Under the booze theres lots of sweetness with a slight plum, fig and molasses aftertaste. Described as a euro strong ale but tastes a whole lot like a barleywine that's not ready yet. If you have this or buy this in 2014 do yourself a favor and throw it in the cellar for a year or two.

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

This is a very malty beer. Sweet, not much in the hops department. If I was given this blind I would say it was a one-note take on an abbey dubbel. It is a pretty beer. Garnet color with thick off-white head, but that is easily the strongest aspect of the beer. Unfortunately, appearance is also the least important aspect of beer enjoyment. Rare failure from lagunitas.

2.46/5  rDev -36.3%

Reviewed 1/25/2007 (22oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown black color, almost no head, quickly diminishing. Tan in color. Strong dark fruit aroma, grape, some hops, some alcohol. Taste of alcohol, hoppy flavor, some of that dark fruit taste again. Letting warm up a bit, hopefully the alcohol taste will be mellowed. Not much mellower.

The Hairy Eyeball from Lagunitas Brewing Company