Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Our 13th Anniversary Beer in was a Staff Favorite, So We Make it Each Year. BIG on the Amarillo Hops and Rich Dark Malts for a Round and Huge, Smoky Flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2007

4.1

Ratings: 2,704 |  Reviews: 964
3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

From tasting notes... Poured from 750 ml bottle into CBS snifter.

A) This is a nice reddish amber, fairly clear. There was a full finger of head, that was very well maintained. There was plenty of lacing as well. This was quite attractive.

S) Extremely pleasant aroma, sweet oranges, tropical fruits, blending well with the malt. A hint of alcohol, but really just a hint.

T) Fantastic balance as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed everything about the flavor. The malt is bready with a little caramel sweetness, and the fresh fruit tastes included peaches, oranges, mango and pineapple. The 8.90 ABV is really in the background. This was quite delicious...

M) A medium bodied brew that is pretty lightly carbonated. This is so freaking smooth. This is just kick back and relax sipping beer.

O) Damn this was good. The more I drink of Lagunitas, the more this brewery impresses me. I wish I had more than 1 bottle. This is top notch, and I highly recommend.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a tap into a pint glass, produced an off-white frothy 1" head that dissipated slowly leaving good head lacing. Carbonation was soft in a hazy amber body.

AROMA: A gentle, slightly sweet scent of moderate pineapple and mango with a bit of pine and citrus hoppiness offset by a note of caramel and a very slight bit of alcohol.

TASTE: An enticing sweet mango and pineapple with a bit of honey and caramel followed by the pine and citrus hops hit. Avery light hint of alcohol warmth. All in all, well matched and pleasurable without being overwhelming.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer has a medium body with a smooth texture, soft carbonation and good body lacing that dissipates slowly. The initial flavor is moderately sweet with a lightly sweet, bitter finish that lasted for a moderate length of time.

DRINKABILITY: This is definitely a winner but because of the high alcohol content, it's sipping beer, not a session beer as are many other amber ales. It's perhaps a little more hoppy than a typical amber ale but that is a positive distinguishing characteristic. The beer has a decent price to value tradeoff and I'd definitely buy it again.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I got this one from a friend and I have to say I'm pretty excited about it.

A: Pours a light red with about half an inch head. Decent lacing

S: I get hints of caramel on a big nose. Smells absolutely great.

T: Bitterness of the hops up front with a transition into bits of citrus. Finishes up really malty. This is a great beer!

M: What an easy beer to drink. I rarely do bombers on my own but this is one I'll have no trouble putting down at all.

O: What an enjoyable beer. I really didn't see this one coming even with the ratings. I would love to have this one again for sure.

4.18/5  rDev +2%

A- lucky 13 pours a rip roaring golden orange with a mountain like head of foam that touches down with leaving traces of frosting up and down the sides of my glass

S- we got a malt bomb up in here! Massive caramel, mango, and some sweet sugars. Not my favorite characteristic of a brew but man this one is bursting with caramel malt

T- as I suspected, lucky 13 is a malty explosion of flavors. A downright ridiculous slap of caramel malt flavor with explosive orange and mango standing side by side. Even a little pineapple cuts in on the action. The flavor has a slight bitterness at the end off setting all the flavor. Even a little alcohol

M - closer to a full bodied brew than you would expect. The flavor is massive

O- first and foremost, I am not a malt bomb kinda dude, but this takes the cake on that concept. Massive flavor all over with a caramel malt taste that dominates. Lagunitas, you continue to be one of the best breweries out there!

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company