Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Our 13th Anniversary Beer in was a Staff Favorite, So We Make it Each Year. BIG on the Amarillo Hops and Rich Dark Malts for a Round and Huge, Smoky Flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2007

4.1

Ratings: 2,688 |  Reviews: 956

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I got this one from a friend and I have to say I'm pretty excited about it.

A: Pours a light red with about half an inch head. Decent lacing

S: I get hints of caramel on a big nose. Smells absolutely great.

T: Bitterness of the hops up front with a transition into bits of citrus. Finishes up really malty. This is a great beer!

M: What an easy beer to drink. I rarely do bombers on my own but this is one I'll have no trouble putting down at all.

O: What an enjoyable beer. I really didn't see this one coming even with the ratings. I would love to have this one again for sure.

4.18/5  rDev +2%

A- lucky 13 pours a rip roaring golden orange with a mountain like head of foam that touches down with leaving traces of frosting up and down the sides of my glass

S- we got a malt bomb up in here! Massive caramel, mango, and some sweet sugars. Not my favorite characteristic of a brew but man this one is bursting with caramel malt

T- as I suspected, lucky 13 is a malty explosion of flavors. A downright ridiculous slap of caramel malt flavor with explosive orange and mango standing side by side. Even a little pineapple cuts in on the action. The flavor has a slight bitterness at the end off setting all the flavor. Even a little alcohol

M - closer to a full bodied brew than you would expect. The flavor is massive

O- first and foremost, I am not a malt bomb kinda dude, but this takes the cake on that concept. Massive flavor all over with a caramel malt taste that dominates. Lagunitas, you continue to be one of the best breweries out there!

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours perfectly clear golden amber color, with a foamy white head. Decent sheets of lacing

S - smell has a nice mix of tropical hops and a nice fruit sweetness. Almost a raspberry like sweetness to the smell. A little bit different from most Lagunitis offerings, but very promising.

T - Nice caramel taste, maybe toffee. The sweetness noticed in the aroma is present here as well. Nicely balanced with noticeable hop bitterness, balanced off by the malt profile. Very nice

M - alcohol is noticeable, some burn on the aftertaste. Carbonation is moderate.

O - Very nice amber ale. I have been holding on to this for a few months so it is not as fresh as it maybe should be, but either way, another very solid offering from a great brewery.

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company