Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Our 13th Anniversary Beer in was a Staff Favorite, So We Make it Each Year. BIG on the Amarillo Hops and Rich Dark Malts for a Round and Huge, Smoky Flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2007

4.1

Ratings: 2,674 |  Reviews: 953

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Serving type: 650mL bottle, poured this bad boy into a pint glass, didn't want to drink it from the bottle.

Appearance: Beautiful reddish color hinting towards brown, slightly darker than my normal take on a red ale. If I poured the beer carefully into the glass there was minimal red head but some lacing remained. Pour the leftover more direct to acquire some head, it produced about a half inch thick of gorgeous red foam but it dissipated quick.

Smell: After sampling a local microbrewery's version of red ale I was nervous to put my nose up to the glass. Once I did I knew I would be in for a good surprise. Initial notes send you in the direction of an IPA, floral, hoppy, citrusy, pronounced but mellow.

Taste: Was delighted to taste that particular flavor from red ale I've come to know, and not some weak attempt at a subjective flavoring. It begins with the hops and citrus, a little sweet, can't pinpoint just what though. It is bitter enough to let you know additional hops are present but not too bitter to kill your mouth. Alcohol content was present but barely noticeable and added a nice zip in the back ground. Pretty well rounded, smooth enough not to shock your senses but full of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Silky, light carbonation, easy to drink.

Overall: This red ale caught me by surprise, I basically picked it up off a friend's dare. I've had Lagunita's WTF before, while it was good this is a better offering in my opinion. I'm slightly partial to IPA/Red ales though. The price was decent for the size too, would definitely buy more if it was more known in my area.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%