Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,711 |  Reviews: 2,163
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The Dorm Room Review

My burgeoning fascination with Lagunitas products inspired my purchase of Hop Stoopid, but the attractive bottle placed itself in my hand before I knew it. At 102 IBUs and 8% ABV, I'm A-OK to try this beer ASAP.
This review was written while listening to Death Grips' album, "The Money Store".

No date on the bottle (c'mon, Lagunitas).
Poured into an orange solo cup.

Appearance: Hop Stoopid pours amber, but in my solo cup, it's difficult to see for long, considering the extremely aggressive head erupting from the pour. The head is off-white and has character, complete with hills and valleys. Imagine a glacier dragged along the surface of the cup, leaving an eroded landscape of foam.

Smell: The spirit of Bruce Lee bicycle-kicked me right in the olfactory system. Super hoppy, astringent, tingly feelings. Hop Stoopid certainly has an amazing smell. The long dry-hopping process Lagunitas employs is extremely apparent.

Taste: After I waited for the gargantuan head to dissipate, I was able to sip the aromatic beer. Surprisingly smooth and drinkable; I'm concerned that Keystone will sue. Yet, Hop Stoopid has much more character than a 'Stone. Bitter astringency up front, in the middle, and in the back of the tongue, this is another classic DIPA. While I expected more fruit notes from a Lagunitas product, there's some grapefruit and tropical fruit tastes floating around in the beer. Strangely easy to drink for 102 IBUs; perhaps my taste buds have been fried from frequent Stone Ruination experimentation..

Mouthfeel: Just like the smell: tingly, fizzy, full of character and DIPA goodness. Fills the mouth with bursts of hoppiness. The carbonation is apparent, but it's pleasant. I wish more beer was this interesting.

Overall: I'm very glad I was able to try this beer. At it's core, Hop Stoopid is a multi-talented Double India Pale Ale that dazzles the nose and tongue. I am left wanting more in the realm of taste, since Hop Stoopid feels sort of one-dimensional. Yet, a one-dimension Lagunitas DIPA is better than most of the market's offerings, especially beers that don't have the same amazing smells and feels that Hop Stoopd unleashes upon the brain. If you can find it, buy it. The experience is worth far more than the cheap $3.99 price tag.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%