Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance & Aroma: It’s got a bright golden color and is very clear. It’s got quite a bit of carbonation in it, leaving a very thin creamy head that left some nice lacing behind. The aroma is a mix of citrus, grassy, and piney hops.

Taste & Feel: The body is medium-to-full and the mouthfeel is smooth and slightly creamy. The flavors up front are bready and malty, with a little bit of sweet honey. The flavors morph from sweet to bitter throughout, finishing with a good amount on piney, resin-like bitterness and flavor. The bitterness lasts for a few minutes in the aftertaste, as it coats my mouth.

Overall Impression: At 102 IBUs, I was expecting it to be over-the-top bitter. However, it had a very solid malt backbone and a good hop flavor and bitterness. While the bitterness was a bit more than the hop flavor, I enjoyed both. Admittedly, I’m a hophead, so I enjoyed this one.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Lagunitas Brewing Company - Hop Stoopid - 1pt 6fl oz bottle

Look - Pours copper with a smaller, foamy head. Good lacing, nice and fresh. "Half-unfiltered" when poured more vigorously in the second glass, more on the settled clear side in the other, with moderate carbonation.

Smell - Citrus sweet with hops and a slight malty bite. Not super bitter even though it sits at 102IBU.

Taste - The citrus hits first, right after that carbonated bite, finally at the end the more floral hops come in and rest.

Mouthfeel - Hops are there, but what I really noticed here was a sticky malt resting on the tongue. So-so here.

Overall - Not great, but not bad by any means. Not their best in my personal opinion, lacking that final "huzzah". I think this brew might be a good introductory DIPA for someone just getting into the style.

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

22 ounce bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is a brilliant amber color and crystal clear. A somewhat vigorous pour yielded three fingers of off-white head.

S - I was surprised by a citrus aroma. I was expecting a lot of pine. I get some of that pine and some skunky weed.

T - Once again I am happy to be tasting the citrus end of the hop spectrum. Listed at 102 IBU's I was expecting pine and bitter flavors. I really don't find it all that bitter. I quite enjoy the citrus notes dancing on my tongue.

M - Moderate and slick

O - I have been avoiding this beer for awhile. I expected a bitter mess. I was very happy with the way this beer tasted and smelled. There is lots of citrus. I like Lagunitas and am not surprised that they made another good beer. I feel like a fool for not trying this beer sooner. It is tough to beat for the price.

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip glass from a 22oz bottle. Been wanting to try this for a while, what with it being as plentiful as Arrogant Bastard all over the Bay Area.

The color is a classic orangish-amber tone seen in all good IPAs I've had, with a decent amount of carbonation and solid 3 finger head with help from the the Duvel tulip. The head holds on for a while, with large bubbles floating atop around the rims. Lacing sticks around in a cobweb, sticky presentation. A solid, straightforward take on the style.

Lots of hops in the aroma, as expected, except far more herbal and astringent than expected. Some notes of citrus permeate, but it's definitely not really the typical aroma of a West coast IPA - Lagunitas is definitely doing something different, am my assumption is the slightly higher grain backbone this appears to have. Smells wonderfully fresh, not unlike the IPA homebrew I bottled several months ago. Alcohol is pretty much entirely well hidden, as well as holding a smidgen of caramel maltiness. Floral and herbal, and definitely refreshing.

The flavor is chock-filled with hop astringency, although there is definitely a juicy, prevalent malt profile added to this. In my view, this is basically Sucks taken to a far more balanced way... Or perhaps what the basis of Sucks is before the flavors get warped and jacked up. There's subtle tropical notes of mango and papaya, and little bit of citrus, especially on the orange side. Dried pine needles. Wet soil. The hops tingle the palate, and then meld with the malts and syrupy texture to create a smoothened, balanced finish. In other words, there's definitely a hop explosion at first, but the extra malts and alcohol really straighten things out. Glad to see a different interpretation on the style for once!

Definitely my favorite offering from Lagunitas, all the aspects this brewery is known for come together quite well here. This is very, very easy to drink. I daresay I downed half of my glass in about 15 minutes. And the fact that it is extremely affordable (I paid $4.50) and easy to find makes it something that I will buy again when I need a good hop fix without stressing out what to buy.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Serving Type: Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Surprisingly clear amber with a solid white head that slowly dissipates down to a thin film while leaving behind a moderate amount of lacing.

Smell: Not overpowering but a nice amount of aroma leaves the beer. Hop flavors dominate with grapefruit, lemon, and pine. In the background, pale malt aroma makes its presence known without taking away from the hops.

Taste: Extremely well balanced in the DIPA style. Hops dominate with fresh grapefruit, invigorating pine, and solid earthiness. Pale malt gives the needed backbone but allows the hops to shine. Bitterness is perfect. Strong but clean finishing. Very impressive.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Semi-dry. Well-carbonated. Well done.

Overall: Not the most impressive appearance or smell but the taste and mouthfeel make up for it. Fantastic DIPA that I will continue to buy and enjoy for as long as it is produced.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%