Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,710 |  Reviews: 2,162

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from 220z bottle in to pub pint glass , super clear almost orange colored beer with 2 finger white head with medium amount of lacing

The smell is almost not there , at least not in this bottle. Faint smell of hops but almost not there at all

Mouthfeel of this beer is on average for this style , not to heavy , not oily feeling , just right in the mid range for what I want from this style, maybe a little over carbed

Taste is really great , the hops come at you full blast , super bitter , kind of a piney taste in the hops , the malt is in there but it gets its butt kicked by the hops

Overall I like this beer , not a go to beer for me by far but I would pick up a 22 oz of it when Im in a location to get it , took a 200 mile round trip to get this one

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

a: This was a clear, shining, amber tinted golden color. It poured with a smallish head that faded to spotty lace.

s: Pleasantly, pungently hoppy, but not excessively so. Tropical fruits and a hint of pine balanced by biscuity sugar cookies.

t: No date on the bottle, but I would say this was fairly fresh. Plenty of flavorful hoppy notes up front, pineapple and citrus in particular. Sweet balance in the form of sugar coookie maltiness. I'm glad this isn't a caramel bomb. There was some welcome bitterness at the end plus a lingering aspirin flavor I could have done without.

m: On the plus side of medium bodied without being heavy.

o: A pretty damn good DIPA for sure. I would love the chance to try one I know is super fresh.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Another beer picked up while my wife and sister in law gabbed about whatever at the in laws house. Talkin' football, drinking the beers. Hells yes. Side poured with standard energy into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a smooth amber color with a nice, off white one finger head that has decent retention (five minutes) and leaves excellent lacing on the glass. Like the label on the brew, like the name.

Smell - I have smelled the West Coast IPA's before, and this is similar. Nice fruity and aggressive hops. Citrus, lemon, grapefruit, your usual suspects with this kind of beer. The smell does modify a bit with the malts coming out more as the beer warms.

Taste - Although the hops smell strong, for a DIPA the hop kick is not as strong as I thought it would be. Granted, there is still a solid "hop pop" at the beginning of this brew, slamming taste buds down with lemon, lime, citrus, and grapefruit. But there is more of a balance than I expected, with a bit of bready malt smoothing out the hops.

Mouthfeel - There is a solid bitterness at the end as well, and a little alcohol/hops burn as it goes down. Light bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall - This is a pretty good beer, a good DIPA for sure. Of course, there are better out there, and this one isn't readily available that I know of where I'm at. It is worth a try once, a pretty good beer, just nothing spectacular.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear amber with light carbonation. Eggshell color head but not much of a head at all.

S: Smell very typical of a west coast IPA. Ton of citrus with even a slight peach smell too.

T: Wow fantastic taste to this. Tastes just like it smells and even though it says it's 102 IBU's, I'm not getting an overly bitter taste to this one. Ruination is much more bitter at the end than this is. Very crisp and refreshing. Feel a little of the burn from the 8.0% after a few sips.

M: Light feel and very smooth.

O: I like this beer a lot. At this point, I may need to mix up my reviews to include something other than IPAs/Imperial IPAs but they're a great type of beer and very enjoyable. I think we can all agree that at this level of beer, it's very rare to have anything awful. These are all great beers and it ultimately comes down to availability in your area and price. Hop Stoopid for me is widely available and price pretty well so for that, it's hard to beat.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%