Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Ratings: 7,696 |  Reviews: 2,158
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

650ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip.

A - Pours with a bubbly off-white head two finger high. The color is a clean amber that looks fantastic. Not much head retention, but it still laces well.

S - Oh boy, smells like my kind of DIPA. Tons of tropical fruit upfront, with a bit of the traditional grapefruit aroma, but a huge mango character and some pineapple notes as well. West Coast pine comes through nicely as well. Caramel malt balances all the fruity and piney hop goodness out well. Straightforward but excellent.

T - Juicy tropical hop presence throughout, along with tons of earthy, piney hops as well. Caramel malt is bigger and sweeter than expected as well. Certainly a step up over the flavor profile from Maximus. Bitterness is firm in the finish, and lingers long after the swallow. The tropical hop doesn't come through quite as much as I had hoped, but this is still an excellent DIPA and for 102 IBUs it remains very drinkable.

M - Unfortunately Hop Stoopid falters a bit here. The body feel quite full, but it's too syrupy and oily for my liking. Moderate carbonation. Bitterness lingers, but at this strength, what would I expect? Slight alcohol warmth doesn't help either.

D - The more I get into big, hoppy beers, the more I find that many DIPAs come across too alcoholic and bitter compared to simple IPAs. While this one still had those issues, the fantastic flavor profile really made up for it. I'm really glad I found a bottle of this and I can say it's certainly worth the hype.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle poured into tulip.

A - Clear, shiny copper with a thin white head.

S - Pleasant aroma of tropical fruit, peaches, pine needle, and sweet caramel malt.

T - Tasty blend of bitter tropical fruit, earthy pine and sweet caramel. Hops dominant throughout, but the malt does lend some balance. Not as complex as some other double IPAs, but the flavor here is still very good.

M - Incredibly clean, smooth, and crisp. Medium bodied with decent carbonation and some stickiness. Dry finish.

O - An excellent double IPA from Lagunitas. Above average for the style, and highly drinkable. Also very affordable for such a high quality beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

A: The color is lighter amber than I usually see in a DIPA and crystal clarity. Small ivory head that dissipates quickly, lots of bubbles showing the carbonation of this brew.

S: Pine, mango and I can't pin point the type of hops but I wish I could.

T: Very carbonated and light for an 8% DIPA, sooo smooth. The hops are not overwhelming but just perfect. Stoopid good choice of hops.

M: Carbonation brings tingles to the tongue.

O: I have had this beer several times and don't remember it being this complex. There are so many flavors that can be drawn from this beer. Thank you Lagunitas.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is big on hops, some citrus. Taste is stoopid hops, very bitter, some citrus notes, more bitterness, alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied and bitter in the mouth and overall should scratch the itch of your average hop head.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- amber appearance with a one finger white head that disapates.

S- pine, citrus, floral hops, mango, sweet malt, and pineapple.

T- bitter hops, pine, tropical fruits, malt subtle but present, and alcohol.

M- syrupy mouthfeel with medium carbonation and a strong lingering bitterness.

O- I thouroughly enjoyed this beer. I have had this beer on a few different occasions in the past and I forgot how good it is. I am glad Lagunitas is expanding because I really want to try all the Hop Stoopid variants.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

WOW! I was stunned by this beer! I don't know why, I had very low expectations for this beer and it totally blew my expectations away. What a wonderful find, especially for the price!

The thing I don't understand with this beer is the IBU's. Maybe I let this beer sit around too long which could very well be, but I didn't get much bitterness at all with this beer. Even with that, I gave this beer a nice rating. A VERY citrusy beer, and I like it! I may come back and edit this review once I try a nice fresh bottle.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company