Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,635 |  Reviews: 2,146
4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Color was honey pale, almost like very dehydrated urine. Surprised at how clear it was. About a finger width of head. Light white lacing with sporadic bubbles on the top. Sporadic film on the sides, not as much as I would have though.

Smelled tons of hops right from the get-go. Citrus heavy as expected. Seemed to be more lemon than anything else. Sweet sugary floral notes in there as well.

Tasted similar to the nose, although not quite as good. Lemon and pine citrus hops led the way, giving way to a bitter finish.

Medium-to-light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Bitter finish, but fairly crisp and refreshing.

Very good beer. Good balance with a clean and crisp mouthfeel.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Got a bomber of this and opened it up. Finally, a fresh one!

Light copper/gold in color, little head retention, and fine bubbles floating on the surface of the beer. The nose leads me to believe that they used Summit hops in here (even though the label talked about hop extract...Summit extract?) The aroma is pungent, slightly fruity, but very much Summit. Taking a taste hits me with the flavor I expected from the nose; a sort of tangerine mixed with garlic/green onion taste, and lingering bitterness. There is a little bit of malt sweetness in the middle that lasts into the finish. The body is in the right place for this beer, not too thin but not chewy either. Carbonation is lively but not too bright.

Overall, a very nice beer. This bottle is fresh, the price is smokin, and I'd buy it again. Cheers!

2.03/5  rDev -51.4%

This is my 2nd pass at Hop Stoopid. I tried it about a year ago based on recommendations of trust worthy beer friends and really didn't care for it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle or something last time. Figured it was time to give it another shot!

Poured from 22oz brown bomber to pint glass.

A - The beer pours an orange/amber color. Clear with a 1 finger creamy head. Not much retention and decent lacing.

S - A strong tarty grapefruit nose. Very strong hop character and not much else.

T - The hops again dominate the palette. The tart grapefruit meets onion flavors with the powerful hop character. Absolutely no malt character detected. It tastes like sucking on a onion that's been soaking in grapefruit juice.

M - Full bodied mouthfeel though underwhelming for the style.

D - Not really at all.

Overall, this is two passes through the same beer with the same reaction a year apart. I understand people like this beer but I certainly don't. I will not buy it again. I like the price but there are way too many other much better DIPA options out there to waste any more time with this.

Reviewed on: 02-17-2011 16:59:01

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass

A - Clear amber with one finger khaki head and minimal lacing

S - Nice pine and lemon hop smell with some earthiness and sea water notes. Not very strong.

T - Excellent balance of flavors with citrus, pine, cherry flavors. A nice sweetness and pleasant alcohol tastes with licorice and coriander spiciness.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation

O - Excellent Imperial IPA, less EtOH flavor than I expected but its only 8%. I'd drink this anytime I wanted a great IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a transparent amber-orange color with a 3/4 inch white head. Head retention isn't great, but it leaves a little lacing in my glass as I drink. Smell is of grapefruit and pine. In the taste I get a pungent flavor of grapefruit against a backing of light malts, as well as some pine, maybe a touch of floral hops. Mouthfeel is slightly heavier than average, where it ought to be for a DIPA, with a bit of carbonation. This is a great west coast IPA. It certainly ranks among the best regularly available DIPAs.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Been looking to try this for a long time now. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a tulip.

A - clear honey color. Really nice with a 1 finger head and good lacing.

S - Tropical fruit, grapefruit, pine, just a burst of hop aromas. Definitely can tell this thing is going to be a hop bomb, which is what I was expecting with 102 IBUs.

T - Just like the smell. Really enjoyable, tons of juicy hop flavor. I could drink this all day every day if it wouldn't cause liver failure.

M - Really smooth and drinkable. As I said previously, could drink this all day. The 22 ounces went down faster than I was expecting.

O - Great brew. Definitely going to be seeking this out. First beer other than Smuttynose Big A that satisfies my hop cravings enough to get me by without Heady Topper or Pliny. I'd recommend this for any hop lover. I assume my bottle was pretty fresh, but no date as far as I could see unfortunately.

Edit: This bottle must've been extremely fresh. Had again slightly older, and not nearly as delicious. I had to balance out the review, especially considering there's no bottle dating. Big reason why I won't buy this again. Come on with the bottle dating!

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company