Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,665 |  Reviews: 2,154
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

From the Lagunitas Brewing Company, in Petaluma, California, this is their Hop Stoopid. The label says 104 IBU, and tells a fun little story about drinking awesome hoppy beer. At 8% alcohol, this is a fairly mild brew compared to some of the more intense beers on the market today.

The pour reveals a nice medium-amber color, with great clarity. The full-finger foam is off-white to cream color, and lingers for several minutes. There are TONS of tiny bubbles rising from the etching on the bottom of my DFH glass. After the foam subsides a bit, I give it a strong swirl and the foam rises again quickly, but subsides with very subtle lacing.

The nose is crisp and clean. I’m getting soft citrus hops, with just a little bit of floral notes. I can’t pick up any hints of malt or alcohol at all. I’m not surprised really, the last time I had this one, I tasted nothing but hops for 12 hours.

Once I take a sip, my memory doesn’t do the Hop Stoopid justice. It starts just slightly hoppy, and more of the floral and citrus-style hops than very bitter. But, the complexity seems to go on forever! Several minutes after taking a sip, I’m still picking up different hops subtleties on different areas of the palatte. The tip of my tongue gets just a little bit of citrusy, grapefruity hops, while the sides of my tongue get the rough and bitter hops, and the back of the tongue is somewhere between the two.

Last time I had this Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas, I was a different type of beer drinker; the hops were almost too much for me to handle. Since then, I’ve described this brew as “just hoppy, nothing sweet, complicated, or intense about it – just lots of hops.” I’m going to retract that description from now on. The Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is hoppy, but far more complex than I had previously given it credit for.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 1 pint 6 oz bomber to a pint glass tumbler.

A-Great looking orange color with a 2 finger head that quickly dissipated. Left nice lacing though.

S-Pine & Citrus (grapefruit/lemon) immediately. Inviting!

T-Bitter-sweet hops. Clean lemonade like finish.

M-Juicy, syrupy, delicious!

O-Great DIPA! Awesome piny citrus tastes. It was hard not to just chug the whole glass down at once. Lots of restraint needed. VERY drinkable! Not overly assertive/aggressive for me. Bring on some more!

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A: A near perfect golden yellow with a one finger head that lasts for a decent amount of time.

S: Typical of an IPA but not as strong as anticipated.

T: Very hoppy and very bitter. There are undertones of citrus and caramel.

M: The carbonation is very good and the retention is near perfect.

O: Get this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff.

Served in my CBS snifter.

The beer appears transparent and orange hued with a thick white head that coats the glass in lacing. The aroma brings some hop, floral, and pine notes, followed by a sweet malt body. The flavor delivers exactly what the aroma promised. Subtle spice adds a nice touch. A bit sweet, but not so much that it becomes cloying. Grapefruit and citrus flavors are quite nice as well. It took me a long time to get around to trying this beer, but I am glad I finally did. Very enjoyable. I look forward to having this again.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company