Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company
lagunitas.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Clean this mess up or else we'll all end up in jail...those test tubes and the scale...just get 'em all outta here..." He was referring to the complex super-critical-CO2 hop extraction equipment set up on the table in the lab across from the brewhouse. Hop extracts are for the BIG brewers, he thought - suitable only for crummy sub-standard and barely-passable industrial lagers, not the subtle and elegant craft beer made here. But wrong he was. The New Brewer does not eschew any possible inputs. In this case the mountain of extracts will replace the mountain of hop vegetative material in the kettle thus creating cleaner hop flavors and preventing the otherwise spinach-like mess of a kettle full of super-hopped wort from clogging up a pump or worse. The sensuous honey-like amber ooze was administered intravenously to the wort kettle and the sacrament was complete. Another kettle of Hop Stoopid is once again raised up and fermented on high.

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,800 |  Reviews: 2,179

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

I thought that I had not reviewed this but I was mistaken. Fortunately, the first review I had of this wasn't of a quality that I now try to have with my reviews. It also gives me the opportunity to drink another tasty Lagunitas beer.

I'm greeted with a very clear and amber-colored beer with a finger high, foamy, and off-white head. There are a lot of bubbles rising to the top. The head goes away fairly quickly, a fine film of bubbles remains on top, and there isn't much lacing throughout drinking but there is a lot of lacing from first pouring and drinking the beer.

Hop Stoopid in some ways smells much like many Lagunitas beers. It's intensely hoppy, very sweet and piney. It's like taking a whiff of a sugared grapefruit or other fruits like mango and pineapple. Cane sugar and pine resin. There's also some cereal grain smells as well that make it not just a hop bomb. I'm a sucker for hops and I'm definitely a sucker for Lagunitas hops and that makes me a total sucker for the smells of Hop Stoopid.

Drinking this makes me remember why I love drinking Lagunitas beers. Crisp, clean, and very hoppy. Now that this has warmed up the complexities have come out more. As expected, it's definitely hoppy, with the sweet grapefruit flavors trailing behind ample bitterness that tingles the tongue. The cereal graininiess is there too. Even though it's 8% ABV, I can't tell at all. It might not be overly complex but I love the flavors. Sucker for Lagunitas? Right here.

This is medium-bodied with medium carbonation and intensely drinkable. It's smooth but the sweetness makes it sticky.

Whenever I drink a DIPA I always seem to try and compare with Avery's Maharaja because it impressed me so much. This isn't like Maharaja in many ways but this is still a damn good beer. It's not overly complex but with what flavors it has it's such an enjoyable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%