Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,741 |  Reviews: 2,169
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

22 oz bottle. No brew on date or anything like... at least not that I can find.

A: Brilliant copper colored brew. Cream colored head, about a finger's worth, that dissipates very quickly yet leaves nice lacing.

S: Pine and nutty aroma though I have to say that it is kinda subdued.

T: Delicious hop bitterness with a delicate floral taste and ever so slight grapefruit hopiness. A little cereal and caramel malt in the background, but they are there.

M: A little sticky with a good level of carbonation. Pretty much nailed it here.

D: This is 8.25%? Incredible for the style though I'm sure I'll be feeling a nice buzz after I finish all 22 oz.

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

22 oz. bottle. Pours a dark-golden color with a decent frothy off-white head, fair lacing. Aroma is mainly pine, resiny hops with a touch of caramel malt. Taste is a nice mix between pine and citrus as far as hop flavor is concerned, nice bitter finish. Mouthfeel is astringent, good carbonation. Good beer.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured most of a bomber into a pint glass. Cellar temp.

Clear deep golden color, with a wicked white head. I mean thick and luscious looking. I can smell the hops as I am pouring and that is a good thing. Great gobs of sticky lacing left behind as the head *slowly* fades.

Big grapefruit hop aroma. An interesting candy-like spice behind it that is very mild, and blends well with a sweet malt aroma. Anise comes to mind.

Taste is mostly citrus hops, some light caramel notes but not a lot of malt backing up the hops. I do not get any of the spiciness perceived in the aroma. I guess there is a smooth malty character back there, just a bit overwhelmed by the hops. Not the balance I find in other DIPAs. I know they are trying something different here, but maybe the world is not ready for this "style".

Rather thin as well, not watery but not the bigness I would expect. Drinkable for sure if you love hops. I do. Oddly this seems like a sub-par offering from a great brewery, and the twist-off cap adds to this effect. I say oddly, because it's still a pretty damn good beer.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Lagunitas- Hop Stoopid

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA.

A- Golden copper brown with a huge thick sticky lacing head.
S- Big sweet caramel brown sugar malt with an even sweeter pine hop and fruit aroma.
T- Big thick malt with a nice balance of sweet fruit pine hops. Finishes off with a big oily bitter hop smack.
M- Thick and sweet, slightly cloying but easy to gulp. Slick sweet fruitiness appears throughout. Bitter in the end.

Overall- Nicely balanced between the malt and hops, not as bitterly overpowering as some doubles. Very easy to drink!

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had on tap at the Muddy Pig in St Paul Mn. Served in a shaker pint. Poured a hazy orange with a one finger head. Minimal retention with minimal lacing. Big pungent citrus and pine hops. A slight malty sweetness evident in the aroma as well. Taste is all hops, all day. Resinous pine and grapefuit with a touch of pineapple. Sweet malts help to balance the giant hop character. Bitterness is quite agressive and lingers on your tongue for some time. Carbonation was medium, as was the body. Highly drinkable and on par with the best DIPAs Ive had. Hides the alchohol well. I hope we will see this again, as it was supposedly only on for the one night.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Drank out of a pint glass.

Appearance: A golden amber, almost deep amber coloring, beautifully clarified. White head that dissipated quickly. Alive with appropriate carbonation.

Smell: Citrusy, resiny hop aroma largely covering the very subtle malts. Aromas were not prominant enough for the style.

Taste: Initial bitterness followed by strong floral, citrus, and resinous hop flavors. As these recede, slight caramel malt flavors appear, out-balanced by dominant hop bitterness. Appropriatly unbalanced to showcase the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium full, with a low-ish carbonation level. Enjoyable alcohol warmth as it goes down.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer, considering the style. Would be a sure choice to satiate a healthy hop hunger in the future.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

Served on tap at it's Minnesota introduction at the Muddy Pig in St Paul, this pours a clear amber color , with a minimal white head that fades quickly, leaving a small amount of white lacing on the glass. The smell is primarily(and richly) of piney hops. The taste is both of intense pinety and citrussy hops, with an exceptional balancing malt flavor. For a beer as hoppy as this is(100+IBU's), it is extremely balanced. This is a hop lover's dream come true, yet it has enough malt balance to please almost everyone. The mouthfeel is rich and tasty. I'm so glad this beer finally hit Minnesota. Here's to the Golden Age of beer drinking!

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

I am in the mood for some HOPS so let's hope this delivers.

A: Pretty typical looking DIPA, on the orange side of gold. I've found that there are clear DIPA's and hazy ones...this is of the clear variety. Head is off-white and about two fingers, but not much retention. Good lacing.

S: Some strong ale esters-fig or mango, and a nice little whiff of hops, which are mostly citrus to me. I gotta say though...the smell is not as hoppy as I am hoping for.

T: Opening is malt-dominant, again with the tropical esters...but the hops are not far behind. Not the most bitter hops in the world...the main flavor is citrus, but it's more of an orange or tangerine than grapefruit. There's a bit of floral in the flavor as well. The bitterness is lingering but doesn't every just blow you away. Nice balance.

MF: Syrupy and medium bodied. Carbonation is there but not overpowering...pretty typical for the style, IMO. Finish is pretty dry due to the hops. Alcohol isn't that noticable...not that much warming from this beer.

D: Well, this isn't the hop-bomb I was looking for, but a pretty nice IIPA at any rate. I will say that the hops got stronger the more I drank. And I do like a malty IIPA. I just wish the hops were a little more in your face. For those who want a well balanced and mellow IIPA, this is a great beer. It's just not over-the-top enough for me.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

4-26-09
Bottle given to me by JesseTheHut, JRhode, Jhamel (I don't know who exactly owned it). They picked this up right when it was shipped so it's super fresh. Took me a couple weeks to crack it open but i kept it refrigerated the whole time. Golden orange, huge head. The smell is grapefruity and green. Very reminiscent of Pliny the Elder to me. The taste has a real nice resinous hop feel to it. Sweet hoppy and dry. Bitterness lingers shortly and is pleasant. Perfect malt base for this, not too watery, not too sugary or toasty. Pretty drinkable DIPA.

___
12/4/08
A fresh bottle off a new shipment (so they tell me), picked up at BevMo. This batch pours the same color as before, a clear golden with a twinge of orange in there. To sum up this beer in both taste and aroma it is *vegetal* It smells and tastes floral/perfumy. Not my favorite type of hop flavor. It is loaded with hops but this specific flavor I have never liked. Will update my score to reflect the fact this isn't that good to me.

___
10-19-08
A- really good looking clear golden yellow body with maybe a slight hint of orange. Frothy head just sits on top of the liquid with great retention.

S- Aroma is sweet, but there is a definite hoppiness there. I get a sorta earthiness to it overall, not sure if it's malt, yeast, or hop derived. Kinda like the smell of old grass or leaves... something like that.

T- The malty body obviously comes through in this, which makes me think this isn't the freshest bottle ever. Still, it has retained enough hoppiness to realize it's a double IPA. This might be the hardest hop flavor I've had to define... I don't think I can do it... maybe it's more floral, but there is a real caramel sweetness coming in towards the end.

M- There is a definite slickness to it but not too thick overall. About a perfect medium.

Sadly I think this beer had been sitting in the store a bit long, though it's shelf-life was prolonged because it was refrigerated the whole time. It still had quite a lot of character but I can pretty much tell it lost a bit of it's luster because I know what it should have tasted like. Still, the state this beer is in is probably similar to how most people have it because there's no way to tell when it was bottled or any sorta "best-by" date on it.
-Overall 4.1

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Popping the top on this one resulted in a little foam over, 1/2 centimeter of foam from a rigorous pour, crystal clear beer, the color of honey with a copper hue - 3.75, S: The aroma hit me from a couple of feet, a strong and pungent, resiny hops, quite delectable - 4.50, T: An extremely concentrated brew, some grass & pine from the hops, quite bitter, some subtle syrupiness - 4.50, M: Silky clean - 4.75, D: Quite an enjoyable brew, packed with flavors, one I'd go back to - 4.00

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

From a trade with TerjUGA, thanks bro. Poured from bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A nice light to medium amber orange color with a two finger off white head. Decent glass lacing.

S: A massive amount of citrus hops coupled with a sweet malty smell.

T: Hop Stoopid? Yes it is, a stupid amount of hops. Wow, massive hops with tastes of citrus. Grapefruit, lemon and a decent amount of melon flavors are in the forefront here with a nice carmel malt sweetness with hints of dried sweet fruit. Nicely balanced. That melon flavor gives is a little different twang than you average DIPA and makes it very interesting. Finish is all bitterness. I almost get a hint of peppery yeasty flavors like a belgian yeast or something. Very different, but good.

M: Full and coating with a hint of warming alcohol.

D: Medium. I enjoyed this beer thoroughly, but it is not something I could drink more than one bottle of at a time.

Overall a different twist DIPA that was very enjoyable. I have one more to try and I look forward to it. Nice beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a clear orange amber with a creme head. Nose is piney citrus. Flavor is like drinking pine sap mixed in with beer. Extremely hop forward and all up in your mouth. No attempt at balance whatsoever. It just screams in your mouth. Huge amounts of oils. Slick feel on the liquid and the carbonation is slightly lower. Surprisingly easy to drink despite how much of a hop bomb it is. Still more of a sipper though.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Cooke's Market in El Segundo for $4.39, also split with my dad last night, poured into my Stone glass

A-Golden orange color with some more reddish highlights, pretty clear body, 3/4 white bubbly head that goes down pretty fast, some retention, light lacing
S-Lots of citrus including grapefruit, tangerine, and lemon, also some piney hops, grassy accents, slightly sweet malt backbone, grains, and hint of booze
T-Best thing about this DIPA is its balance, malt and hops tend to work very well together, starts off with a big citrus taste that is mostly grapefruit, some grains and sweet malt in the middle, finish is both dry and bitter with a warming sensation immediately following, gets more grassy and has a bigger reliance on lemons later on, all flavors seemed to work well together and hops dominated the palate
M-Medium bodied, nice level of carbonation but could use a little more, dry, sweet, and sticky mouthfeel, resin-like at times, taste lingers pretty well
D-Could drink a bomber of this, it does get heavy at times but is smooth for the most part, alcohol is mostly hidden too and ABV is not huge for its style, goes down pretty easy

I heard this stuff was over 100 IBUs and was orginally skeptical about that figure but I believe it now, this stuff is super hoppy and reminded me of Obliteration from Midnight Sun a little bit, cannot go wrong for the price, will be drinking again, recommended

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bomber courtesy of Gford417.

This was my favorite at the EBF last year, probably because of the fresh hop character evident in their pours....that or maybe that my taste buds were runied by then. IN any event, I was definitely delighted to be able to get a couple bottles of this to reacquaint myself.

Going from memory, I enjoyed this quite a bit. Poured a nice clean crisp tangerine color, with a light head. Quaffability was high, as the hop notes tingled the senses. Light pine and citrus zest abound, with the bitterness powering in at the end.

Thanks again Grant, definitely enjoyed this one a second time.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

on tap at Toronado san fransisco mid September. Golden pour with orange highlites, good smelling brew - fresh pine. Taste- medium bodied with full malt presence to go along with hop assault. Hops not overwhelming but still have a nice kick. Pretty balanced for a hefty dipa

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Purchased at Greens in Atlanta.

A- Pours a clear orange color, with a small off-white head. Minimal lacing on the glass.
S- Hops. Lots of floral and citrus hops. It's like your nose gets smacked with a grapefruit.
T- Just like the aroma, lots of hops with definate citrus and grapefruit tones. Not too overpowering though, as the malt is able to shine through. A well balanced beer.
M- Smooth, and medium bodied. Light on the carbonation.
D- A Very drinkable beer. The malt/hops are well balanced, and I had no problem finishing off my bomber.

Overall, an excellent and well-balanced beer. It't not hops for the sake of hops, and I wish I had bought more than two...

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

I had a bottle of this in Atlanta. Purchased based on name and also the fact that it's made by Lagunitas. The beer was clear orange with loads of foam. The smell was wildly good, tons of hops complexity. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, maybe some orange or lemon. The taste is primarily from the hops, this isn't the type of DIPA with excessive malt balance. Delicious, I liked this even more than Maximus. The only odd thing I noticed was sort of low carbonation, odd because there was a lot of foam on pouring. But it wasn't really stale feeling, it just could have had more mouth presence. Anyway this is a solid beer.

3.87/5  rDev -7.6%

The draft is a gorgeous crystal-clear copper with an odd-looking light gray head that recedes very quickly and leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

The smell is herbal and grassy with a bit of citrus and a dash of pine, but hardly overpowers and really doesn't grab my attention.

The taste features a fine malty sweetness with little hop flavor beyond a crisp bitterness. I am not impressed by a muted, lackluster showing of lightly spicy, herbal hops. The drink isn't hoppy enough to be a DIPA, and isn't a really interesting expansion on the style, either. My notes say, in all caps, "WIMPY!"

Medium-bodied and lightly-carbonated. Drinkable, but not overly so. Meh.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Now listening to: James - Laid

A- bronze/copper color, two inch, slow growing head that lasted through as a decent disc covering.
S- Pine, melon, orange raosted malt
T- Off the map! hops and malt mix to some kind of juicy pine/berry taste. Very fresh taste.
M- some bite from the hops, but otherwise malty
D- While this was quite a treat, my hats off to anybody who can drink more than one of these in a night.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A hideously underrated beer. By far the best Lagunitas has to offer.

Pours a burnished amber/copper. Large white foam head. Smell of pine and grapefruit. Oh boy!

Taste is much more complex, a real solid grapefruit backing, with some sweet malt, and a ton of tropical flavors. I mean, out of this world with pineapple, citrus, papaya?, and who knows what else. Just very well balanced and completely delicious.

I highly recommend. Great lively mouthfeel.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

22oz Bomber

I get the chance to try this IIPA thanks to a super generous LNBA BIF box from dyan, thanks man! Hop Stoopid pours a lightly tarnished copper with mild haze and glowing orange highlights. The head grew to two fingers worth of clean white creaminess that settled to a thick cap and even thicker collar leaving sheet lacing on its way down and after each drink.

Hop Stoopid is packed to the gills with tropical fruitiness. Orange, grapefruit, mango, papaya, they're all in there in one form or the other all drizzled with caramel. Spicy alcohol rises through the air and adds to the aroma. Whatever hops were used, were used in magical ways to produce all this rich of a citric quality.

I find a lot of Lagunitas beers to be sugar bombs and while this one has a bit of stick to it the hops rule the roost and it never becomes cloying. Tropical fruitiness jumps all over the place while the mild caramel maltiness stays in the back where it should. This is a high quality IIPA that out the best in the hops used. There's some sweetness on the swallow that adds to the candy like flavor.

The body is on the lighter side of heavy with a rich and velvety texture. The mellow carbonation lets this beer work through at its own pace and there's a little stick after the swallow from the residual sugar.

This beer is going down fast and I could see it getting me in trouble with the higher abv. The hops bring all the bitterness I love in my IIPAs which keeps me drinking all night.

This is the best beer I've had from Lagunitas and a damn good IIPA. If this was available in my area I would pick it up often. Thanks for knocking one off my "wants" and hooking me up with such a great beer Dyan!

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a crystal clear coppery amber with 1 1/2 fingers of poofy brite-white head. Solid retention with a few creamy dollops in the middle, firing up beautfifully when swirled, and leaving a great latticework of sticky hop lacing behind. The aroma is straight up West Coast awesomeness, with a piny fume of resinous hops and spice, luscious citrus character consisting of mango, pineapple, and grapefruit, and additional other underlying malt sweetness that really nicely compliments the citrus and balances the hops.

The taste is pure hop juice, consisting of fresh, sticky, resinous hops that are extremely well balanced by absolutley juicy citrus character and sweet caramel maltiness. The balance is so good in fact that it almost renders that huge hop profile almost subtle in nature at times, with the sweet aspects really coming foward and showing off what they've got. The bitterness is intense in the finish, making sure that you don't forget why this is called Hop Stoopid. The mouthfeel is a mix of creamy carbonation and some slicker hop oils sliding throughout. There is just a touch of heat in the body but it's well integrated into the flavor profile and just accentuates the other aspects.

Wow! One of my favorite hoppy beers in a bottle, the mix of big sweetness and bitterness work extrememly well together, creating one nicely balanced and drinkable DIPA. I really need to go grab another bottle of this and enjoy while it's still fresh. Great stuff!

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

on tap at the clark street ale house in chicago a month ago (cell phone notes)

appearance: served in a standard pint, hazy orange body, moderate beige head

smell: big and fruity - pineapple, citrus, sugar, caramel malts

taste: one of the better lagunitas beers i've had and a nice overall DIPA - tropical and citrus fruits - full flavored and potent

mouthfeel: a touch syrupy, biting fruit sensation

drinkability: good

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

burnt orange, white head, decent retention/lace. gorgeous nose, with piney hops leading the way and fruity hops mixed with fruity and sweet malt in the back. taste is more of the same, and the imbalance is actually coming off as balance for a west coaster to me. i like it. medium body. perfect amount of carbonation. go lagunitas!!! a wonderful provider of world class beer that remains affordable against all odds.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

Ummmm, ridiculous.

It's not quite a Russian River Blind Pig/Pliny, but it has several characteristic eerily similar. A bit lighter as far as hop bit, but the hop flavor still comes through in freshness and pineyness.

Not overbearing, but strong and sweet and crisp (lager-like crispness). I was stunned by this, I bought it on a whim and hadn't really looked up the reviews and was thrown off by the "Farmhouse" description which isn't accurate in its taste since this is very much in the style of a world class, well-crafted Northern California IPA.

Very much recommended, especially since I had that much fun from a bottle available at a store here in Maryland all the way across the country and it still came across incredibly fresh.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company