Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,100 | Ratings: 7,477
4.05/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a medium amber with a luscious head and an amazing clarity. The smell is incredible. So much pink grapefruit and pine.

The taste is all about the pine and pink grapefruit There's something akin to canned pear or grilled pineapple in the background (which I can actually get a hint of in the nose) and a bitterness that lingers on the tongue. With a name like hop stoopid I was expecting this to almost be a gag beer, all hops and nothing but the hops, but in reality they've done a decent job at giving the bitterness enough of a sweet foundation to work against. It might lack a little depth compared to other beers in the style, and there's an off flavor, maybe something that reminds me of extra old cheddar cheese, that's kind of good and questionably not good at the same time. But overall it's tasty. And I like it.

Mouthfeel is medium with a crisp bitter finish.

As for drinkability, as much as I tried to sip this I practically chugged it. It just went down a little too easily. But while I don't taste much alcohol, after a bomber of 8% beer I do feel it a little. So maybe I'd want to keep it two two bombers at any one time.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a mild-golden color with a two-finger head into my glass that fades down, leaving lacing. Hard not to have a good presentation with this trusty Piraat glass (thanks again, Ding!).

Aroma is full of floral, piney hops in the nose. They're also citrusy, specifically evoking grapefruit.

Taste is strong and full of floral/piney/citrusy hops upfront that give way to a sweet, biscuit-like malt underneath. Hops are not as intense as expected but this is a good thing. No harsh flavors to be found and the grapefruit stands out.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering piney/citrusy hops. Definitely has a good hop kick to it. Sweet malt peeks out from underneath all the hops.

Well, I certainly don't get the hype but if you're looking for a solid DIPA, I can recommend this. I could also recommend at least 5 other DIPAs but you can't wrong with giving this a try. The claim of 102 IBUs means nothing to me because my taste buds can't tell the difference, though they are starting to improve when it comes to hops.

3.72/5  rDev -11%

This beer poured a light copper color with a big foamy off-white head. The smell is a bit of malt with a nice burst of floral, fruity, and citrusy hops. The taste is starts off with some fruitiness that gives way to some piney hops and then some citrus rind the in finish. The whole time the malt does a pretty good job of balancing everything out. The mouthfeel is slightly thick with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is a pretty drinkable beer for being so hoppy, and I'm glad I snagged a bottle while it was still available.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Got this bottle from Jay, thank you.

Poured into a tulip glass at 51 degrees.

Appearance: A medium amber color with orangish hue. There was a one finger head but it dissipated quickly. There is some effervescence in the glass. The clarity is clear.

Nose: A bouquet of citrus and esters, floral and some pine. There is a nice malt backbone that has some subtle hints of sweetness. There is a grassy and straw note.

Taste: A very strong bouquet of citrus ester, floral and pine. There is a good malt back bone. There are some straw note on the end.

Overall: The mouth feel is carbonated and rich. The body of the beer is medium and finish pleasantly linger on the palate for a few moments. This is a good DIPA, a strong flavor with a descent back bone. I enjoyed it very much.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright golden copper with a finger of head fading quickly to a cap of off-white foam with decent lacing. The nose is hops and citrus. Some pine too.

I was braced for a hop pounding, but the first thing I noticed was the fruit. For a split second you think "this is beer?" then BAM there are the hops. It all blends together for a great taste and nice finish. The heavy carb cleans off the tongue, though it might be a tiny bit too strident.

Then again, that keeps me from absolutely gulping this one down. If you like DIPAs that explore the citrus side of things (and I do), you've got a big winner here.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Clear copper color with a foamy white head. Nice retention and lots of sticky lacing.

S - Nice pine and citrus hops aroma with a touch of malty sweetness.

T - Citrus rind and pine resin bitterness hit you at first, but then some floral notes and sweetness balance things out. Very nice flavor and not as over the top as the 102 IBUs would indicate.

M - Medium body and quite oily on the tongue. But the vibrant carbonation keeps things from being too heavy.

D - One of the more drinkable DIPAs that I've had. Not overly bitter or boozy, but still lots of nice hop flavor. This is one I'll come back to again.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Off-white or beige head, one finger with some lace, not a lot of retention. Orange colour, not quite clear. The nose was a sweet apricot with hops, quite nice. Firey hoppy mouthfeel and taste, bitterness dominates, pomegranite, dry finish, grapefruit moreso in the finish with a pine aftertaste that detracted a bit from an overall good impression. A bit acidic and a little gassy. Alcohol well handled. There was something missing, I wondered if the malt didn't weigh in enough to balance the hops, it was a bit sour as well. Still, overall, representative of the style and well worth a try.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%

I guess this is a weekend for DIPAs! I couldn't be happier.

Copper clear, very small head. Wonderful citrus smell. The taste is all citrus with just a touch of bitterness. While hoppy, this beer isn't one dimensional. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I expected, but not unpleasant. This mouthfeel probably contributes to high drinkability.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance light amber with a smale white head but had good head retention

Smell fantastic lots of hops citrus, pine and some tropical notes

Taste same as smell with just enough malt backbone

Mouthfeel maby just a bit lite for an IPA but still very good

Drinkability very good for such a strong beer I will be buying this one again soon

Solid beer by Lagunitas keep up the good work

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bomber into a Unibroue tulip.

Hop Stoopid pours an appealing golden-copper hue with a good clarity and a few trails of bubbles. The off white head is thin, but well retained and drapes extensive rings of lacing along the glass' insides. Aroma is 'Stoopid'-ly hoppy, bursting with fresh pine resins and raw hop cones. Nice balance of crystal malts and grapefruit. Some kind of weird spice lurks in the background, too...teriyaki?

Good flavor on this IIPA; nothing really stands out and blows me away, just a solidly crafted hop-bomb here. Starts off with juicy grapefruit citrus and piny hops, quickly balanced by pale crystal malts and a bit of honey. Bitterness lingers long into the finish, but never becomes acerbic or over-bearing. Near perfect mouthfeel, with a bubbly medium body that's both crisp and refreshing. Great drinkability, too; I'm not only looking forward to the second half of this bomber, but I can't wait for the 2nd bomber I purchased today. Kudos to Lagunitas for consistently laying down the hop-smack.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

This poured a bright copper/orange color out of my bomber. Thin head stuck around lacing the glass throughout. Crisp citrus hops smell with a rush of pine. I knew this was gonna be good before I even took a drink. Taste is a domination of the citrusy/piney hops. There is a muted malt note in there as well. I was hoping for a touch more of the hop bomb taste because of the beautiful scent, but this beer is still very good. The 8% ABV was unnoticeable. It would be pretty easy to get stoopid drunk on this stuff. I'll be having more of these in the future!

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

An ample, thick looking off-white head sits tops an effervescent very clear, bright orange brew. Very little lacing appears.

Smells fantastic! Fresh pear, tropical fruits (mango, pineapple, guava) and some pine. This is the kind of nose I pray for from a DIPA. Nicely done, Lagunitas.

The taste of the beer contains all of the same attributes as the nose.This is a sweet, almost candy-like DIPA. I detect some bubble gum, molasses and candied pineapple is prominent. Also fresh white grapefruit and some herbal/earthy notes surface. The slightly bitter finish plays off of the sweet flavors to create an amazing overall flavor. The creamy body adds to this beer's likeability. This is a superior DIPA because it is not just bitter, it really showcases the superpowers of the hops flower. I wasn't expecting to like this beer so much, but it's definitely one of the best new DIPAs I've tried lately.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a medium white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is piney peppery malts.

The flavor is sweet sugary melon, salt(?), and some bready malts followed by a good sized piney slightly resiney bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with some sharp carbonation.

Overall, not as good as I had hoped. It was a solid IPA, but not too interesting and what was up with the salt?

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a nice orange color with two fingers of creamy white head.

Scent of hops, citrus, caramel, sugars and fruits. Hops are fairly strong, but balanced nicely.

Taste of hops, caramel and some light fruitiness. Not as hoppy as I like my Imperial IPAs, but it gets the job done.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation, refreshing.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clear, gold, some lacing, head retention could be better.

Great aroma of oranges, strawberries (i swear) and juniper/pine.

This brew is hops first, as it should be. Not much malt to speak. That's a good thing.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and appreciably arid.

The lighter body, crisp aftertaste and enticing aroma make this quite a DIPA to kick back with.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

pours a clear golden orange with a 2 finger head that leaves lacing all down the glass

smell is big fruity hops and pine and some how it smells bitter if thats possible

taste is just how it smells pineapple citrus with a big bitter lingering after taste

mouthfeel - was a little lacking in carbonation

drinkability is very good with the nice hop bite and no detection of alcohol

overall a very good dipa but just not as good as hopslam or double trouble

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

beer has a classic IPA look to it, a deep golden brown hue with a decent sized head that laces quite well. very inviting

smell is awesome, a multitude of hops but something i've never been able to really focus on, it has a slight rasberry/strawberry aroma to it, really unique and special

taste is fantastic as well, a wonderful well balanced IPA

mouthfeel and drinkability are both very good, lagunitas does not dissapoint

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a pale orange with a nice two finger head that is nice and frothy.

The smell is a citrus hop nose with hints of pineapple and orange. There is a mild sweetness to it and also a touch of pine.

The taste is predominantly citrus hops as detected in the nose. There's a fruity sweetness to it to balance the bitterness. The finish is resinous.

Mouthfeel is a little oily, but crisp in carbonation and leaves a pleasantly dry aftertaste.

This is an easy drinker. The alcohol is almost non-existant in the flavor/texture and the abv is respectable, but not too much.

This is a very good beer that, for the price, stacks up against some of the better DIPAs.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Finally Hop Stoopid has made it to Houston!!!! Picked up a bomber today at the Clear Lake Specs. Since joining BA all I have read about is how great this beer is, it has been on my wish list for a while now, and to finally see it at the store, well I was giddy. I could not wait to get home and open this bad boy up and at only 3.79, I am kicking myself for only getting one.

A- What a beautiful beer, golden orange and clear. Pours with little to no head and leaves little lacing. This beer is one of the best looking I have seen, I could watch the tiny bubbles all night.

S- When I first opened the bottle, the smell just reached out and slapped me! This is the stickiest, sweetest dankest beer I have ever smelled and it made me tingle with joy! Hands down the best smelling beer I have ever had, it is piny, and fruity it makes your mouth water just smelling it, I could smell this all night. WOW!

T- After I smelled this beer for a while, I finally tasted it and oh baby what a happy day, an explosion of hops, grapefruit, pineapple and happiness! What an amazing flavor, so smooth, tasty and just overwhelming, I can not say enough about how great this is, I am in beer Heaven!

M- Sticky, piny and just fantastic. It is smooth and not too carbonated, it goes down so nice, I could drink this all night. If there is a beer Heaven, this is what flows from the faucet!

D- Again, this beer is amazingly drinkable. It is complex, sweet, piny, and just perfect. I am just blown away by this beer.

Hop Stoopid has more than lived up to expectations, it has kicked them in the ass and made me it's bitch. This beer has made me so happy to be a craft enthusiast and I hope it is around Houston for a while, I need to go stock up! Now if only we could get some Pliny, Bells and Founders....

4.6/5  rDev +10%

A great 22 Oz. bomber with the usual story told in conversational style on the side of the bomber.

Hop Stoopid pours a clear lighter shade of amber body with a white fluffy head that leave some lacing.

The aromas are of pineapple, citrus, and pine.

The first sip is the same with plenty some tongue coating resins holding the bitterness to the tongue. After it warms a bit the sweetness picks up with a touch of crystal malt in there.

The mouthfeel was sturdy with moderate carbonation. This reminds me of a bitter Bell's Two Hearted. A great double IPA in my book and priced well at 4.99 a bomber.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Bomber to pint glass.

Pour produces little to no head. Pours an light orange-amber color. What little head there is appears to be white. Very light carbonation, I could probably count each individual bubble as it rises to the top.

Oh my dear god, I am in heaven. The nose on this is, to date, the best I have ever had in a beer. So strong on the grapefruit and other tropical fruits, so sweet yet balanced. I am incredibly impressed. If this isn't a 5 in the aroma department, I don't know what is. Very light bitterness is noticeable, mostly sweet fruitiness.

Is this too good to be true? The bottle claims "102 IBU's 4 U", which I don't doubt, however the bitterness is not as palate-busting as it is soothing. I am in utter shock, I had no idea that a DIPA could be this tasty. Don't get me wrong, I love my hop fix now and a again, but this is an entire new level for me. Citrus fruits and floral hop bitterness shine in all their glory, and the sweetness of the malt backbone gives an impressive balance. I am literally in love with this beer!

I just can't get over this beer. Honestly, the closest to perfect that I have ever had. Really, my only knock is the lack of head, but from my experience, most DIPA's don't produce large heads, so it comes down to the detriment of the style.

It's official, I am a confirmed hop head!

3.87/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz into US Pint

A: Big kind of dense soapy head that was slightly offwhite and left nice lacing, color is closer to copper than orangish

S: wow, you can smell this at least a foot or two away , really just sweet citrus and resiny pine, not sure if there is malt in this thing from the smell

T: Sour tang that immediately gets into the nose and tastes very green and more like citrus peel than any particular fruit

M: Dry, tangy, sticky resin, fits the bill for this extreme IPA

D: Umm...it is hop stoopid so the name suggests this isnt' your daily IPA and I agree. A nice thing to try but once or twice...or thee times is probably enought.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz. bottle.

Brilliant clear golden body with a coppery middle. Frothy, lacy, sticky, off-white head. The nose just oozes hoppiness. Lots of big citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine resin, a hint of cat pee, and a whiff of sticky cannabis. Some sugary malt aromas get lost among the hops, but that's okay with me!

Light toasted malt up front, before a full on hop assault. To be fair, there is also some tropical, fruity sweet malt in the front end, but it mixes well with the pineapple and citrus flavors of the hops. Big resin and pineapple hop flavors feature mid-palate. Orange marmalade and grapefruit citrus flavors follow up. Bitterness throughout, but not too numbing. This is largely about huge hop flavor, not bitterness, and I am really liking it! Smooth, creamy feel on a medium-full body. Goes down too easily--especially at $3.99 a bomber...

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

This bomber poured a beautiful golden orange..with a nice dense cheesecake colored head
Aroma is Sweet and malty with a great citrus hoppy presence.
Taste is so clean and crisp. Alive with a perfect hop bitterness that has pine and mango notes. Love it.

Good mouthfeel with a very good carbonation. and absolutely drinkable...for 4.99 I would drink this every single day.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

This is a fantastic DIPA. It drinks really well and is pretty much what you'd expect of a california 2IPA. There are certainly other beers out there that are more extreme but this one I don't mind having a few pints of. If you're a hop head, then this is a must try.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company