Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,090 | Ratings: 7,433
4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz. bottle with no freshness date. 1.085 OG, 102 IBUs, bittered with hop extract. Pours a nice orange hue, unfiltered yet damn near crystal-clear, with medium carbonation and a half inch of whitish head that leaves a bit of lacing. Orange and pineapples dominate the aroma, with floral and perfumy notes following close behind. No real malt aroma, but this is certainly OK for the style. Nothing but hops on the palate - in a very good way. The orange, tropical fruits, mint?, tobacco? and coating resiny/oily stickiness overwhelms the whisper of honeyed malt sweetness, which then leads into a very potent, yet incredibly smooth bitterness that lingers on and on. It has moderate carbonation, and its somewhat substantial body does not hamper its drinkability in any way. This brew is too easy to drink - it packs loads of hop flavor without overloading the malt bill with crystal malts just to make it drinkable. Well-worth trying this one out.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I love a hoppy IPA.
Once opening the bottle, I immediately could smell the Hops.
This was a crisp, clean beer with a strong but balanced bitterness from the Hops.
It poured light and golden with a small head. The first sip was what I would expect from a highly hopped beer. The bitterness was the first to hit my tongue, but the fullness of the beer made it quite enjoyable.
As with most IPAs with their IBU's over 70, the after taste stays for a good while.

Next time I have this, I want to compare it to some of the high IBU IPAs that I have tried.

When you start to hit over the 90 mark for IBUs we are talking serious hops and serious bitterness. Not all folks like beers this way. I still know a number that if the IBU was over 10 (some normal domestic beers) they would think it was too bitter. The bitterness, along with the right amount of barely and malt make for the better brews. You can throw all the hops you want at a brew, get the IBU count up, but if it isnt balanced, its no fun to drink.

Hop Stoopid, is FUN to drink

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

650ml bottle. I've looked for this offering from Lagunitas on previous trips Stateside, but didn't come across it. Since we have numerous other beers from this brewer in our local alcohol demarcation zone, it was only a matter of the import agent for this account getting off their ass and rectifying the situation. A few weeks ago, a co-worker of mine brought up his recent trip to the local bottleshop, and asked if I knew of this 'Hop Stoopid' beer. After verifying that I was indeed in the correct dimension, it was clear that I needed to do a little shopping of my own.

This beer pours a crystal clear, bright medium bronzed amber hue, with three fingers of puffy, foamy, and mildly creamy eggshell white head, which leaves some adequate sudsy chain link fence lacing around the glass as it evenly bails.

The smell - OMFG - the smell - orange, grapefruit, pine, and motherfrakkin' pineapple, all duly and inescapably right in your face - I could very well marry this aroma (I am in liberal Canada, after all), with a subdued, but still up for it caramel/toffee malt. Anyhoo..the taste starts with more semi-sweet grapefruit rind, orange pith, and a lessened tropical fruitiness that is briefly mourned, but quickly forgotten, as the well supportive bready caramel malt takes up the flag, aided by a soft toffee sweetness, mildly resinous pine cone astringency, and some further leafy, floral, and subsequently perfumed hops.

The carbonation manifests in only a mere tingle, the body a low-key medium weight, and the mouthfeel smooth and a little creamy, while the alcohol is noticeable as only a slight warming effect, mainly because I couldn't stop sipping this stuff long enough to notice. It finishes off-dry, the sweet and somewhat sugary fruity hop notes still good to go, and the malt hardly a wallflower by the same measure.

Ok, maybe the flavour suffers a bit in comparison to the heady nose, but that's hardly an indictment. Also, the bittering effect of the 102 IBUs is actually a little less intense than I was expecting, but the overall drinkability of this doozy of an DIPA renders that a moot point. Hop Stoopid: will u marry me? My gf is ok w/ it (she better be, I shared it with her, and she liked it).

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a thistle style glass (my favorite) leaving plenty of room for the four inch head!

Appearance - The color is golden orange with a creamy off white head of tightly packed bubbles that recede somewhat quickly leaving perfect lacing.

Smell - The first hint is of pine and grapefruit followed by tangerine and malt.

Taste - Strong hops that linger, sharp and crisp. The aftertaste is bitter, and sweet like grass.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is awesome. A lot like PTE although a little heaver.

Drinkability - Very drinkable! Like I said it's a lot like PTE but more accessible. (I have to drive 80mi for the Pliny). I will most definitely buy it again... and again.

Great beer and at $3.99 at the local market how can I go wrong!? Good job Lagunitas!

On sale at Binnys.. Yeah it was $3.50 instead of $5 haha

A- Pours a nice light amber/orange with a small white head that recedes to a ring around the beer

S- First thing I told my drinking buddy was "oh damn" hops come and get you, like... "one day he break the cage and he get this!" type of get you. Tops of tropical hops in the nose, which I heart

T- Much more bitter than the nose leads on but still delicious. 102 IBUs on the bottle but I wouldn't guess that high. Not much in the way of malts but it's not called malt stoopid is it?

M- Great mouthfeel for a DIPA, pretty light without being watery

O- Have had this a few times and as far as value beer this is right up there with torpedo. Go Lagunitas!

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a large brandy snifter. Pours deep clear golden orange with a tall, biege head. The head dissipates slowly, leaving lacing on the side of the glass. Only a small amoutn of head is left atop the beer after the head retreats. Small, tiny bubbles can be seen rising along the side of the glass. The hop aroma is very strong. I detect those big piney, resinous and citrus hop aromas. There is some sweetness as well. It's a very delicious smelling West Coast IPA. As far as the taste goes, the hops aren't as powerful as the smell would indicate. Those big, juicy citrus flavors are balanced with that bitter pine flavor in the back end. The malt really doesn't come through in the flavor, which allows the balanced hop flavors to shine. The body is much lighter than the typical double IPA, registering on the lower end of medium. There isn't a lot of carbonation to speak of, but it is there. This beer is smooth with a dry finish. It is highly drinkable in terms of the style. This is an excellent and unique beer in many ways. If you're a hop head, do try this beer if you can find it.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden honey color. Smells hoppy yet also some sweet with pine notes. A little thicker creamy head for an IPA-ish beer. Lots o' bubbles. It tastes pretty much like it smells, hints of pine and fruit notes along with a strong and bitter hop finish. The mouthfeel is excellent, fizzy but pleasant and refreshing. Overall, I liked this beer. Not what I was expecting from the name, but probably something i would drink more of if it were on tap in my area.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

This poured a bright copper/orange color out of my bomber. Thin head stuck around lacing the glass throughout. Crisp citrus hops smell with a rush of pine. I knew this was gonna be good before I even took a drink. Taste is a domination of the citrusy/piney hops. There is a muted malt note in there as well. I was hoping for a touch more of the hop bomb taste because of the beautiful scent, but this beer is still very good. The 8% ABV was unnoticeable. It would be pretty easy to get stoopid drunk on this stuff. I'll be having more of these in the future!

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Drank out of the 22 Oz. bottle. QFC has been selling this for 3.99 in Renton, WA, a below average price for strong ales from anyone. No one else in the area seems to be selling this, except for maybe the smaller vendors who tend to charge 50 cents to a dollar more.
It starts out with a fragrant evergreen smell, and the taste comes out like spruce gum. In this case, it cancels out the 8% alcohol leaving a happy astringent taste, and you have to wait till you finish the bottle and stand up to find out you just knocked off something stronger than Arrogant Bastard. This is the stuff you alternate with AB (not Anheuser-Busch) while sitting out in the sun enjoying the current economic slowdown. Buy cases and cases before you go broke because you lost your job.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Aroma:
Astonishing fresh lychee, mandarin oranges, and apricot. Sweet honey like malts. Slightly grassy, fresh alfalfa like bitterness. Altogether very fresh, bracing, and fruity, as opposed to pine, resinous, or juniper herbals in other big IIPAs. Very promising.

Appearance:
Pours with medium carbonation and a light, white, head that dissipates quickly - negligible lace. Slightly coppery blond color. Slightly hazy.

Flavor:
Very well balanced. With fruity characters from the hops and yeast - mandarin orange and mango, with a touch of ripe Asian pear. Malt provides a nice backbone - both complexly sweet and honey-like. Bittering hops pull it together with balance a dryness. This has a beginning (bracing and fresh), middle (fruit, and honey/malty), and end (clean sweetnes and slightly astringent). Very well done.

Mouthfeel:
Pushes above medium bodied with a nice slickness that lingers. Finishes clean and lightly dry.

Overall Impression:
Very well done IIPA. Up with the best I've had. I'd put it at par with Pliney the Elder for overall enjoyment - though it's tipped to freshness and fruit rather than to resinous herbal characters. Great aroma, great flavor, finishes well, easily drinkable - I'll say it again - very well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours brilliant gold to amber under a dense persistent 3” clingy cream colored foam collar.
S: The fragrance is just above mid-range with grapefruit and grapefruit rind, spice and malt.
T: Big malt flavors give way to a grapefruit rind bitterness with citrus, herbs and spice, faint cardamom. The brewer places more emphasis on hop flavors and character than on hop bitterness.
F: Creamy medium body, very soft carbonation.
O: A deliscious mix of big hop flavors and big malt with a moderate hop bitterness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a brown 22 oz. bomber, this version is 7.7%. Pours out a burnished copper hue in appearance with impressive clarity, crisp and clear as they say. Tall tight cream coloured head that recedes slowly, leaving thick foamy horizontal watermarks of lacing in its wake, and valleys of hoodoos forming the remaining cap.

The aroma is every hop bomb lover's dream come true, a clean robust olfactory slap and tickle of pine needles and ruby grapefruit rind. Notes of orange, citrus, and a mild earthy spice as well. I wish someone would make this into a perfume or cologne...

Flavour is surprisingly clean throughout, some buried semblance of what could be an unobtrusive biscuity malt holds up the well-behaved stampede of 102 I.B.U.'s worth of hops body surfing across the palate, where an explosion of astringency occurs on the finish and well into the aftertaste. One might have to wait for low tide until this lingering hoppy aftertaste finally subsides. Yeah, the use of hop extract was really well-played in this instance. Definitely not a balanced ale, but certainly uniform and consistent.

Mouthfeel is fuller yet smooth, and lacks the slick oiliness that I was anticipating on the finish. There's a bit of a soapy texture, but really hardly noticeable considering the how high the hop presence actually is. Very well contained.

What can I say, you know why you bought this bottle--buy the ticket and take the trip--and it delivers the goods in a civilized hoptastic manner. A great DIPA, I'll definitely be going back for more.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Wow, what a hop smack. Poured lively into my glass and watched the head quickly rise to about two fingers. Mucho lacing down the glass, as should be. Smell is huge pine, grass and citrus. The first taste sends waves through my taste buds, and an amazement through my brain from the intense hop bitterness. No exageration, I could still taste the bitterness 10-15 minutes after my glass was empty. Mouthfeel was very good, a toal immersion into the Imperial IPA world. Love it, and will be back again, and again.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

A great 22 Oz. bomber with the usual story told in conversational style on the side of the bomber.

Hop Stoopid pours a clear lighter shade of amber body with a white fluffy head that leave some lacing.

The aromas are of pineapple, citrus, and pine.

The first sip is the same with plenty some tongue coating resins holding the bitterness to the tongue. After it warms a bit the sweetness picks up with a touch of crystal malt in there.

The mouthfeel was sturdy with moderate carbonation. This reminds me of a bitter Bell's Two Hearted. A great double IPA in my book and priced well at 4.99 a bomber.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Great taste. Goes down as one of the tops... for now.
This wasn't on my "to-drink" list, but I made an exception. I'm glad I did.

A- Looks great, but I'll admit, I drank it right out of the bottle.
S-scent was of a perfect for a solid drinkable beer. Not over powering to the point that you felt like you had to brace yourself for a kick in the mouth, but not weak.
T- taste, my favorite part. It was good, very good. Easy and smooth. A great hop taste and even flavor.

O- this is a good solid beer. You should definitely check it out.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I love a brewery that doesn’t take itself too seriously. The name itself, Hop Stoopid, and the “102 I.B.U. 4 U.” that is emblazoned at the top of the label are refreshing bits of levity. The beer itself, on the other hand, seems to be very seriously brewed. At least that’s what I’m getting from the people on this website; there seem to be a lot of Lagunitas supporters. Being from Indiana, I wouldn’t know about this brewery’s supposedly glorious creations – I’m just lucky enough to have gotten my hands on this one when I could. Anyway, I just poured it, and I can smell the hops from here. I’m not waiting any longer for this one…

A: This has got to be one of the most beautiful DIPA’s I’ve seen to date. The first thing that sticks out to me is the head: it’s as a thick as the cream in a root beer float. The lacing is gorgeous; the most I’ve seen in a while. Gold and amber mix with a copious amount of shine, and that, coupled with a very slight bubble stream, make this a very inviting body. I wish every brewer paid this much attention to the less important details, like the look, because it’s certainly showing Lagunitas in a great light before I even take a sip.

S: Couldn’t wait to get my nose in this one, and, after my first whiffs, I am not disappointed! Brazen hops lash forward, entering with a floral, slightly earthy hit. It’s fresh, organic, and just plain fantastic. The malty undercurrent rises with a great caramel syrupiness. Perfect, mouthwatering fruit scents mix well with the malts; it’s like freshly baked cinnamon apples. Wow.

T: A great barnyard freshness comes out first, showcasing the true taste of an IPA. Excellent transition into the smooth malts of the body, where the emphasis is big syrups and roasted notes – I’m getting marzipan, candied fruits, and honey, mostly. Rich and creamy, they hit you with a sugary blast but don’t overwhelm you with a whole lot of lingering sweet tones. That may be because the hops come in so forcefully that they diminish the residual sugars; the bitter is powerful, though it never goes over the top. For being 102 I.B.U.’s, it’s remarkably well balanced. The aftertaste consists mostly of bitters, but it’s not exceedingly dry; it’s as if the hops are more crisp than anything. Maybe that’s one of the differences when using hop extracts vs. whole hops. Either way, it lingers for quite a while. A fitting end for a beer with such big back-end hops.

M: This one is quite thick on the tongue, playing quite well on the fruit syrups tasted earlier. A slight bubbly hint every now and again reminds of (but does not embellish) the super-hopped bits of the palate. It doesn’t detract from the taste, but it doesn’t add a whole lot.

O: Beer like this doesn’t come around very often. With every sip, I’m reminded of that perfect DIPA, Pliny the Elder, more and more. The balance and complexity that I get from this beer makes me proud to be a craft drinker in this country – only in America will you see a brewer go so deep with hop extract. An admirable offering from Lagunitas, and quite possibly the world’s best hop-forward beer made with extracts.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is a beautiful golden orange, slighty yellow and visibly carbonated.

I think this aroma is very comparable to PtE, its got strong tropical notes, a beautifully dank hoppy aroma, very citrusy, and piney and earthy as well.

This beer is pretty bitter, not over the top from a hopheads standpoint. This beer has a medium malt backbone that In my opinion provides the balance and slight sweetness that makes this beer so good and complex.

The finish is nice and clean, and dry like a west coast IPA should be.

I feel this should be a higher rated IPA, Double IPA. Its so good, so affordable, more easily attainable. Its got the bitterness and hop character hopheads are looking for. Gotta love Lagunitas, their distro is well done and their beers are world class. Strong recommend.

Serving type: Bomber bottle

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

An amazing brew. At first I was a bit hesitant with the claim "102 I.B.U. 4 U." on the bottle's label. 102 IBUs? I was scared that I'd be drinking something that tasted like a blend of Pine-Sol and Dogfish Head 90 Minute, but Lagunitas hit a home run with this one. The hops are perfectly distributed between aroma, flavor and bittering. Classic California IPA hops dance throughout the bouquet--resinous and with tight citrus notes--with deeper, mustier hints rounding it out. I think I detect the interesting, wild vegetal hops Warrior in there, blanketed behind the Cascades. The taste starts off slightly sweeter than I expected, but finishes with the same hop flavors as the aromas advertise. Final bittering note is long and delightful, complex and evolving. Starts out pineappley for just a moment and then heads into spicy dustbowl territory with bitter grapefruit pith. And for only $4.99 for a 22 oz bottle, I see myself stocking up on this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

There is no Sonoma farmhouse mention on the bottle, but otherwise is about the same label.

Light golden ale, large white head, good retention and lacing.
Very nice aroma, better than average IPA nose, with very little grapefruit and a lot more passion fruit and orange. Passion fruit is more noticeable cold, as grapefruit comes in as it warms up - for a change, I like this one colder.
Medium bodied, with some biscuity maltiness providing a background to the hopfest.
Passionfruit, orange, pineapple, and as it warms, grapefruits. Hoppy but not bitingly bitter.
I just love this; a phenomenal DIPA, highly drinkable, with a great price tag.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz Bomber poured into glass.

Appearance: nice dark amber - solid head retention down the glass.

Smell: Hops, Honey, Grapefruit

Taste: Citrus - Honey - Apricot - Grapefruit - Tomato - Ginger - Mustard Seed.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied - nice and soft tannins

Drinkability: Very drinkable - easy session Double IPA - I recommend this for the IPA drinker that likes the citrusy - lighter fruit - apricot IPA's - not tons of dark malts in this one - although there is a hinting innuendo of dark chocolate malt on this finish. This is a great.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is wonderful, especially when fresh. I loved this beer (and pricepoint) so much that I named my two prized fancy rats "Hops" and "Stupid"...They are both deceased now but the Hop Stoopid lives on. Great beer for the price, "hippy man's colt 45"

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had on tap at the Muddy Pig in St Paul Mn. Served in a shaker pint. Poured a hazy orange with a one finger head. Minimal retention with minimal lacing. Big pungent citrus and pine hops. A slight malty sweetness evident in the aroma as well. Taste is all hops, all day. Resinous pine and grapefuit with a touch of pineapple. Sweet malts help to balance the giant hop character. Bitterness is quite agressive and lingers on your tongue for some time. Carbonation was medium, as was the body. Highly drinkable and on par with the best DIPAs Ive had. Hides the alchohol well. I hope we will see this again, as it was supposedly only on for the one night.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I am in love!!! Tried the super hoped ale today and will take some time before I get my fill opf this tasty brew.

Poured a big three fingered head of creamy off white head on this light amber colored ale which has perfect clarity.

The aroma is super piney with nice citrus peel background. I think I also smell some awesome sensimilia green note in this beer (what kind of hops are they using in this???).

Nicely balanced hop bitterness with sweet alcohol notes. Some dried fruit, perhaps pear and cherry, also linger.

Great full rich mouthfeel makes this tasty beer extremely enjoyable. Highly drinkable. I wish I had another!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was one of the best I had at the EBF, so I needed to get some. Thanks to Matt at Winchester W&S for letting me know exactly when it was due to arrive. Poured in to a snifter a near perfect clear orange, with two fingers of pillow like white heading. Nice pungent hops start off in the smell. The hops stay prevalent, but there is also some sweet cream involved here, along with some mild tobacco. Taste is once again dominated by resiny, piny hops...truly hop juice. At the same time it is not so overwhelming as to ruin your taste buds after drinking it. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with great carbonation, and lots of subtle nuances as the beer warms up some. Drinkability is about as good as it gets for me. This West Coast Imperial IPA is as good as any out there that I have tried. Exceptional by all standards, but the cheap price tag places it on its own. Cheers

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As far as price and taste, this is a great beer that really is not that expensive in comparison with other craft brews. Pours an orange color with a big white head. A nice citrus flavor and smell. A very enjoyable experience.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company