Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,608
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. Not much to add over what's been said. One of my fav's. Balanced, drinkable for 8%, creamy, hoppy, smoove not easy to trap in one bottle. Nice lace, somewhat unfiltered. Nice to be able to pick this up anywhere anytime without much fuss. Enjoy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From a bomber to a glass mug...
The brew pours a burnt orange color, has a pillowy white head that leaves good lacing.
Smells of grapefruit, lemon and pepper.
Taste lots of sweet malt, tangerine, other citrus flavors and a great bitterness.
The feeling is silky smooth and velvet.
This is a real treat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a standard pint glass at about 40 degrees or so to start out. Dusted this badboy off in about an hour though so it definitely warmed during the session. I don't understand how I've waited this long to review such a great beer. Yeah you already know I'm a fanboy wanna fight about it?!?!?

Appears a little lighter than you might expect actually. Then again at just 7.7% ABV it kind of makes sense. Definitely an amber type color with some soft shades of brown in there, but nothing too dark. Awesome head and lacing, a thin layer definitely sticks around to the finish and it's really fluffy stuff.

Aroma is nearly all pine, which coincidentally is my favorite smell in the world of beer... Underneath the pine I get a little grassyness and sweet bread with a bit of pepper.

I nearly gave the taste a 5, but we wouldn't want this beer to rate about PTE now would we??? All kidding aside, it really isn't quite as complex as Pliny the Elder. There's enough of a sweet bready taste in the foreground to clash with the intense hoppiness to come. The hoppiness does come quickly though and never really lets up. First it starts like freshly mown grass, then gets a little spicy before turning into a pine tree. Yes, seed in the ground, many years pass, pine tree. Believe it or not though I got some background pineapple flavor which I absolutely adore.

Mouthfeel flat out cannot be improved upon. I think the feel may be better than any of the other DIPAs I've had, and I've had almost all the top DIPAs. It's just perfect. Vibrant at first, plenty of carbonation without being too thin. The right amount of chewyness, and the head is just pure fluffy goodness.

What an amazing elixir. I like it about as much as Pliny the Elder and I'm not ashamed to say that. I wish I could put this side by side with Dreadnaught though because I feel like that comparison is perhaps a little more similar. It's just been too long since I've had Dreadnaught (little over a year) Really great drinkability though, goes down easy, raw bitterness leaves you wanting more, and the alcohol isn't really apparent in any way shape or form.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Amber in color, 1 finger fluffy white foam. Nice lacing.

Aroma is a classic pine-forward IPA. Super citrusy, tons of floral and resinous pine. You know what you are about to taste.

Taste matches the nose. Clean and crisp pine. Bright and citrusy throughout the sip. Touches of grapefruit juice and rind punch through occasionally to break up the monotony of the floral pine. This is just such a prime example of what a pine-forward west coast IPA should taste like. Bitterness is surprisingly mild... I can't believe it is over 100 ibus! No alcohol detected either.

I enjoy this more than sucks and extra. Solid offering especially for the price. While I'm not a pine-forward IPA guy, I would definitely buy this again as it is just an overall delicious brew! I see it pairing well with pigs in a blanket and Kraft Mac and cheese (classic but delicious!). It gets a 91/100.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Good beer! I think this is a beer I can drink one or two of, but definitely not one I'd drink on July 4th.

It is sweeter than other beers but fairly smooth nonetheless. I'm going hiking this week and plan to grab a few more of these for afterwards.

Definitely a keeper.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Light /medium orange poured 'crystal'. Off-white head pours 2+ fingers, as big as you want.

rapefruit, nectarines, air from the open sea, light citrus (lemon/orange), orange blossom flowers and sugared toast.

Soft, sweet Turbinado sugar maltiness with juicy, citrus hops. Can I guess Amarillo hops? The only hop, in my home brewing experience, that creates that full, juicy taste. Also, grass and pine. Bitterness in the finish is somewhat sour and vegetal, but gives a satisfying, dry-hop pucker.

Soft mouth with velvety effervescence.

DELISH!! And...this is the cheapest bomber at most stores I go to. I just drank a bomber of Hop Czar from Bridgeport Brewing and it was twice the price of this one, though the Hop Stoopid rating is higher. Pickit up!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L- pours a clear golden color with 2 fingers head on a partially aggressive pour.

S- pine, floral, grapefruit, citrus very strong smell. Smells amazing.

T- so well balanced. You get all of the delicious flavors you would want in an ipa and without a bitterness finish.
I would say that floral and citrus stand out the most.

F- mostly a dry finish with not much strong flavors left on the lips or tongue.

O- Great beer and at 3.99 here in oregon you just can't beat it. That will affect my overall score cause it's simply unbeatable at that price.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

First off, upon opening this bomber of goodness a poof of peach fills the air...great start.

Ahhh...then it pours to a clearer then clear body of pale orangish gold color and lifts a hugely thick capping of crunchy lightly yellowed whitish foam. It swiftly simmers down to a firm and dense skim remaining present throughout the duration of its time in the glass. Tons of torn up sheets and big spots of lacing stick very well. May need to scrap before it becomes permanent...geez. Impressive looker!

And ahhh...the nose is great. Mega fresh peach is what I claim first, then pineapple, bright orange peels, lemon rinds, and what all that sets is one oily heap of zippy citric freshness. Wonderfully boasting and fresh!

Taste doesn't disappoint...more ahhh's to be had here no doubt. Crisp and crunchy peachy factors over pineapple, orange marmalade, and super high juicy peelyness abound. Zesty, buzzing, lemon and lime hints, definately hoppy, peppery even, but mellowing enough in its IBU's to claim a stake to your palate with an amazing ease and comfort. Slightly toastified malty backing with smidgeons to biscuityness. The hopitude oilyness ensues as it warms and becomes a bit more evident in its unique and late set finish of bittering pineyness. SOLID.

Body is clean, crisp, bright, kind of crunchy yet rounded nicely. Mediumishly set, nearing full and loaded well of hoppy textures and tongue tantilazing hop paste. It makes a home quickly on your taste buds and doesn't leave. Fantasticly clean and oily hopped up finish with peach fuzz and pine left overs.
Pfft, pfft, (tongues teeth)damn, I think I need a toothpick to pick the hop bits from my teeth. Which is weird, cuz apparantly this is all extract? Oh well, I still feel like I brushed my teeth with a bunch of hops. Delightfully yummy!

I want to be able to drink the hell out of this, but just couldn't, it is a bit of a brute. But one that would pick you up after knocking you on your ass. What a nice brew.

Plus, at under $5 per bomber this is a fucking steal!

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.
Clear golden, orange color with a one finger head.

Nice BIG fruity aroma. Pineapple, oranges, starfruit, grapefruit.
A little bit of spiciness creates a wonderful nose.

I get a hoppy punch right off the bat. Lots of pine, citrus, and pineapple flavors.
The finish has a nice bitterness to balance it all out a bit.

Very good mouth feel. Not overly carbonated or dry. Very
drinkable.

Hop Stoopid is overall a verygood DIPA

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

poured from a 22oz bottle to a standard pint glass.

appearance- nice golden hues with a strong white head that slowly dissapates.

smell- Citrus Citrus Citrus, amazing aroma

Taste- grapefruit notes and a nice hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- the bitterness after one sip left me salivating for more

drinkability- could drink this one just about everyday but unfortunately i dont think there is enough at my local packy to do that

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

pours out of the bomber a clear brilliant dark gold colour with a relatively impressive egg shell white head supported by some vigorous carbonation. chunky lace. definitely looking the part. huge juicy fruit hop aroma. some herbal dankness. the nose is massive. on the tongue it drinks like it smells. all hops all the time. it runs the spectrum of tropical fruit flavours...bursting forth with mangoe and grapefruit and kiwi, etc. it's just delicious. malt profile is simple and just sturdy enough to bear the weight of the hammering hop profile. this is pure hop juice, pure and simple. no real alcohol flavours except a slight warming sensation. very cleverly hidden. a slow back end bitterness is about perfect to balance any residual sweetness that dares to linger. the mouthfeel is surprisingly unabrasive for such a high IBU hop bomb. it's almost velvety! sturdy bodied...just enough girth to serve as a gateway to hop heaven. scary drinkability...it slides down way to well and is just plain delicious.

it's a good thing i have only one bomber of this, otherwise i think if more was around, i might overindulge and become hop stoopid myself.

reasonably priced, too.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

A fresh breeze through a pine forest with an undercurrent of citrus hops. Golden amber as if it were a standard of legends. The taste is an army of cedar/citrus hops barrelling down my tongue, applauded by a fanfare of grapefruit and smooth malt, finishing with an emphasis on the flavor of the hops and grapefruit. There is a pleasant tang upon the finish. Lightly carbonated mouthfeel, a pleasant tang of grapefruit to complement the hops. Wonderfully drinkable and well rounded.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Shared 22oz. bottle that Davey brought back from Portland. Poured into tulip glass golden yellow/orange color with a very active body and an off white head that lasted for a bit and left great lace all over the sides of the glass. Smells peppery, floral, grapefruit. Taste very Pliny-esque, floral hops, grapefruit. Medium body that seems to thicken up as it warms. This is an Awesome IIPA

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a lovely copper in color with a big foamy off-white head.

The smell is all about the hops. Huge citrus notes. The only beer that smells hoppier is Bell's Hopslam, which smells just like Hop Stoopid, only stronger!

The taste is like the smell: Bitter and hoppy. Big, big citrus flavors mix with vegetable hop flavors. Little malt flavor. No balance. No problem.

The body is light, but not watery.

Wow, this is a great double IPA. It's the best beer brewed by Lagunitas, which is saying something.

A must-have for hopheads.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I found this bottle in San Rafael, a mere 10 miles from the brewery, and after recently trying it on tap, I had to pick it up for a second taste. Once again, this beer is superb. It's really one of the best DIPAs, except that the hop profile is not quite unique enough. It's not really a problem. I love the beer. It's just that different parts of the hop profile, sweet citrus and fresh pine/spruce, are done better by other DIPAs, so it's hard to give a perfect score. It's about as sweet as a Pliny the Elder, but the flavor is somewhere between Pliny and a grapefruit hop bomb from Port or something (unfortunately, I'm not trying it up against some other DIPAs despite trying to convince my sick girlfriend to drink against the advice of her doctor). This beer stacks . There is a ton of caramel malt to back up the huge flavor. The feel is wonderfully oily with hop essence. The aroma is enormously hoppy. There's a hint of dry yeast. Great DIPA, wonderful hops.

It's very similar as it was on tap. I like the feel a bit better this time around, but that might just be the day or my present state of mind or something. There is not a big difference between the serving types, anyway.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Amber hue with a small creamy head.

S: Dank and earthy. Caramel, pine and grapefruit all come into play at the same time. A little lavender and freshly bloomed flowers round out the aggressive hops.

T: Grass and earth starts this beer off. Sweet grapefruit and a little strawberry begin to appear before the herbal components take hold. Floral with honey and caramel. Fresh melon begins to show towards the mid palate. a little soapy. a very clean finish.

M: Medium and creamy with a good long finish,.

O: Wow. Awesome stuff at a price that makes this even better. Bursting at the seems with flavor. try this one now. / 95

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I poured this bomber into my snifter at cellar temperature.

Hop Stoopid is a glowing golden orange color with stunning clarity. It's head is white and about two fingers deep. Looks "IPA-ish."

The aroma has a strong, floral citrus aspect and TONS of hops. There's also a bit of honey and a little pine.

A sip of this DIPA packs a mouth-wateringly delicious overdose of herbal hops, with a tinge of honey sweetness. The aftertaste has sweet and bitter orange and pine bitterness, but nothing like what I expected from the 102 IBUs. It's really not THAT bitter. The alcohol is VERY well hidden, by the way.

It's got a rich body with really "comfy" carbonation.

Ever since I first had Hop Stoopid, I knew that it would set my standard for DIPAs. It has "all the basics" of the style and begs me to take drink after drink, let me tell ya. This beer was brewed with one purpose... one which it fulfills exceptionally well: to deliver hops unto beer drinkers everywhere.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just a really good all-around beer. Solid head, good lacing. Smells fantastic, fully of flowery smelling hops. Tastes just like it smells, which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is almost there, almost a bit watery after the sip. Loving Lagunitas beers so far, highly recommend this brew.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%

Drink this beer. You will not find a better ipa for the price. Seriously. You can spend the $4 and enjoy it. This beer is bitter. Super bitter. High alcohol. And ipa to the max. $8 beer will be put to shame 7/10 times. Don't think the price makes this less of a beer. Trust me.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Big foamy head is small bubbles--a big plus in my experience. The bubblies begin to dissipate quite quickly, though a full cover remains even after the pour has settled. Lacing residuals leave their mark where the foam hath faded. When I looked at the beer immediately post-pour sitting on the kitchen countertop, I thought it was light; here in the living room I think it's on the browner side. In line with my skin tone analogies, it's got a decent yet unevenly tanned body.

The smell is citrusy, grapefruit hop goodness. It conjures picturesque images of California beaches, complete with coconut oils blowing in the breeze. The carbonation seems to bring each refreshing smell into my nose subtlely--like bubble by bubble. Maybe I smell some grassy pine playground in the background. Each time I waft for new aroma, the smell is consistently impressive. It's like oranges and pineapple fruity. This beer smells like it's good for you.

The taste is fruity, and sweetly delicious with an unmistakable presence of enamel-pulling hop. I love that juxtaposition. This is the balance I'm looking for: lip-licking Vitamin C-type flavor palatable enough for a Southern belle, compacted with a hoppy bitterness that makes teeth and taste mesh in savory sensation. Put more simply, it's well-balanced, citrusy hop bomb. I've never deemed a beer worthy of an "exceptional" taste distinction, but this is one with which I consider it quite carefully. If I knit-pick for negatives, it's a little light for a DIPA. It's like a West Coast Hopslam without that rip-roaring double-digit ABV. With genuinely no disrespect, I consider it like a Hop Layup...but that's kinda stoopid.

The mouthfeel is terrific. The acids, the hops--it's like music in my mouth. I've already alluded to this balance but it's like the longer you allow the beverage to settle and sit, the more you confirm this is indeed a harmonious mixture. Though its light and tangy qualities defy most of the DIPAs I've experienced, this is a special (and legitimate) hop monster worthy of its name [see other reviews for failing and misleading "Hop" monikers].

This one really deserves some credit for its drinkability. Thankfully the distribution is solid enough here in the Carolinas for this to be my craft beer summer go-to. It's a light and refreshing DIPA! Are you kidding me? Eight percent ABV makes this the most sessionable hop bomb I've ever encountered. At $4.95 after its 3,000 mile road trip to my specialty shop, I'm tempted to do $30 sixers every time (it's really more like $30/12 since they're 22oz bombers)! Labeling Hop Stoopid exceptionally drinkable is a real no-brainer. HA!

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Hop Stoopid bears the intensely grapefruit-and-pine bitter aroma of a good IPA, mixed with a healthy dose of sugary rosewater, peach, apricot, brown sugar, and vanilla. Judging by smell alone, this is a high-quality beverage, as indicated by the breadth and depth of sugars and bitter aromas.

On the tongue, the brew begins with a brief sugary blast--which lasts for about 1/4 second--then the hops kick in and the tastebuds curl in bitter joy. Huge grapefruit and pine notes dominate the brew, the result of the massive 102 IBUs. Beneath the hops, however, lies an equally flavorful beer, complete with apricots and pecans, figs and lychee nuts, and good hints of biscuity, Grape Nuts cereal-like toasted grains. The aftertaste is largely hops (as should be expected), and lingers for quite a while. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is a solid IPA, and hop lovers will surely rejoice at its Brobdingnagian bitterness, but it is also a good beer in its own right. Well worth trying.

Shared a 22oz bomber with a friend tonight; poured into 16oz pint glass

A-Beautiful clear dark orange with a rocky, bubbly head

S-Bright hoppiness, smelling of pine and citrus. Just the smell of this beer was refreshing and really clean.

T-Just like how it smelled: clean, bright, and refreshing with resinous pine up front with grapefruit oil. A bit of malt sweetiness. Overwhelming hoppy as advertised. Although bitter, it is not undrinkable as the stated 100+ IBU would suggest

M-medium bodied, but the carbon dioxide throughout the beer left beer fresh on the palate. I'm used to less carbonated DIPA's, but carbonation really matched the flavor of the beer

D-I was disappointed to have to share this bomber, as I would've finished the entire thing myself and opened another if I had it.

Very good DIPA, this is the second one I've bought, I would definitely buy again and am happy that this no longer seasonal but a full time Lagunitas beer now.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Stopped at a BevMo in Indio, California while on vacation recently, saw 1 lone bomber of Hop Stoopid sitting on a shelf of hundreds of other beers, I just had to grab the last one.

Appearance; Poured a bright clear orangish amber color in a sifter. Very small lumpy head, that quickly dissolved into a white lace around the edge of the glass. Not much left on the side of the glass as I drank it, but the white skirt stayed on top of the beer the whole time.

Aroma; One of the best things about this beer in my opinion, the usual pine, and citrus with a surprise hit being a strong mango sweetness, this smells delicious.

Mouthfeel; Carbonation is right where is should be with a strong IPA, I found it to be a little thin on the tongue, but that doesn't hurt this beer as it adds to its easy drinkablity.

Taste; Heavy pine up front on this one with medium to strong hop bitterness on the backend.

My first impression of this beer was how easy it goes down. For a DIPA that boasts "102 IBU 4U" it sure goes down smooth. Drinkablity on this one is very high, with me being able to finish this 22oz and want more, which is more than I can say for some of the other high IBU DIPA's that I've had. I'd definitely buy this again.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

22oz Bomber in a big ol' mug. No freshness date but I assume it's fresh enough since it wasn't at the store yesterday when I went by.

A: Amber honey color. Tight head on the edge and nice lacing. No foamy head due to my slow pour.

S: Smell of sweet honey, some pine and citrus.

T: Very clean taste. The hop bitterness is up front but fades and leaves the palate dry. Some sweetness mixes with the piney hop flavor.

M: Thin body, some hop resin coats the tongue and then it is dry.

D: Easy drinking for the ABV and IBUs. I could have a few bombers over the night.

Overall a good IPA. Lots of hops and good dry body. I feel it is very true to style and would go great with spicy fish tacos, or spicy tuna rolls.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Sampled then purchased at Moe's Tavern in Lee, MA. Did not take specific notes so this is off the top of me noggin.

A: copper orange color, clear with some lacing.

S: Citrus and some pine.

T: WOW! Citrus really the dominant taste here. Still a neophyte to the hop thingy but I think these were mostly Cascade? Tremendous.

M: Good carbonation. No resiny feel at the end, even after drinking an entire pint. Very nice.

D: Certainly easy to have one of these, but I really can't say a second would be a wise choice. The ABV and strong hops make this a one and done.

According to the Josh the owner, there is only five (5) of these kegs in the State of Massachusetts...and they have three (3) of them. Head on over before they are all gone!!

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company