Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Ratings: 7,684 |  Reviews: 2,155
2.17/5  rDev -48.1%

Love other Lagunitas offerings and so wanted to like this one, but not for me. I get the hops aroma up front, but something deeper doesn't smell right. Same with the taste. Decently bitter up front followed by a skank aftertaste. Not a fan

2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

2.42/5  rDev -42.1%

My Dad's pick in the father vs. son beer battle.

Solid gold like touched by Goldmember. Very clear. Good retention and lace from an initially thin head.

Mainly malt aroma. Some minty passion fruit in there but not enough to float my boat.

Taste is similarly lacking in hop flavor. Lots of malt and plenty swampy, pine syrup bitter but no really flavor. I DIPA with this little hop flavor and aroma is in fact hop stupid IMO. Cloying sweetness and unappealing bitter.

I hate the spelling of stupid with two os. This applies to both Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and the Southern California band Slightly Stoopid. I do like the band Slightly Stoopid though. I don't like Hop Stoopid. I declare myself battle winner.

2.43/5  rDev -41.9%

have had this before, didnt really like it too much, but figured id give it another shot.

22oz. bomber from the legendary julios.

pours light copper, average head with plenty of lacing left of the glass. poured into a sam adams perfect pint glass which produces a very,very small stream of bubbles. not too impressive.

smells of hops, yah, but artificial... if that makes sense. maybe its extract or syrup or something like that (i really dont know how to describe it). smells like hops, but not quite. bit of citrus, bit of herbs, but more medicinal and artificial than anything.

tastes like syrup. hop syrup. like someone went into a lab and tried to chemically reproduce the hop flavor but was just a bit off. has an almost herbal aftertaste that is most unpleasant.

carbonation is fine, feels ok on the tongue. not impressed nor disappointed by the mouthfeel.

drinkability is in question. the syrup-y, artificial flavor does not do justice to the wonders of the hop. there are redeeming qualities to the beer, but they stay too far in the background for me to look foward to the 10oz i have left of the bomber. the alcohol is hidden enough, but the extract/artificial flavor really hinders the drinkability for me.

i have given this brew a few chances, and i hate to say i probably wont visit this brew again. lagunitas has impressed me with quite a few of their beers and im sure id rather their maximus ipa to this. not for me. though i wish it was.

2.59/5  rDev -38%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to forgetfu! Beer was bottled on June 15th..hopefully 2010.

A: Pours a light gold with orange/amber highlights. Nice thick one finger head dissipates slowly to some foam on top. Very nice lacing left on the glass.

S: Don't get much in the way of hops, a little bit of citrus. I do get a buttery aroma and a little but of grainy malt.

T: A little more citrus here with some lemon. A little bit of grainy malts at the end.

M/D: On the thinner side. Its obvious the bottle is past its prime. Don't know the date, but wouldn't be surprised if it was 2009. Very sad, hopefully I can find a fresher bottle since this looks like a beer that is right up my alley.

2.6/5  rDev -37.8%

I was amazed to find this at my local liqueur store. I paid $6 for a bomber. As I typically like Lagunitas I gave this a try. I won't be trying it anymore.

A- appeared crisp, nothing fancy
S- Smelled of lots of hops... but I wouldn't say overly hoppy
T- It tasted like my mouth was full of copper pennies. I couldn't finish this bottle
M- Horrible. I regretted every sip.

Overall, not very good. I will stick with the other Lagunitas.

2.63/5  rDev -37.1%

Live review. Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Purchased for $5.99 at Beverage Warehouse on Mayfield Road in Cleveland last Tuesday. No observed freshness date.

A Kinda basic orange/light brown translucent body under a nice creamy head that has the consistency of meringue. Lacing is moderate on the side of the glass.

S Well, hops. Grapefruit tartness to the nose without much balance. It certainly delivers on the hops, wonder if the taste will offer any balance.

T Surprisingly basic DIPA taste of unbalanced hops. Overripe grapefruit predominate and stay with me for more than 3 minutes after I sip. There is very little balance here.

M Big feel to this beer with the huge hops and elevated ABV. The feel is average for the style, though.

D Not good. I will finish the bomber (in the interest of scientific process and investigation) but I would have preferred to share this bomber with another Beer Advocate. That being said, I think that the drinkability is about average for the style.

2.64/5  rDev -36.8%

poured 22 ounce bottle in a wine glass

A: clear; loose white head of foam thats laces the glass on the way down

S: sweetness, pine hops

T: tastes like dirt, piny earthy hops take over,I don't know the age of this beer the code on the neck is 2684311

M: standard

D: Passed this beer up many of times I have had quite a few of lagunitas beers and have not been impressed by many. this is no exception.

2.66/5  rDev -36.4%

Let's get to it. I didn't like this much; at least in comparison to the classic IPAs from Stone and Bells. I didn't get big citrus and pine. SOME sour grapefruit, but more sharp cheddar and sourness. Over the top hops with little malt--which is fine with me....when the hop taste is yummy. This was sharp, sour, but also bland. I have had a lot of citrus/piney IPAs and I don't get that from this brew like other reviewers did. I won't be revisiting this.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company