Censored | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Reviews: 887 | Ratings: 2,717
3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Lives up to its name, pours transparent copper color with healthy white head.

Smell: Nothing specifically interesting about the smell. Although the beer is not particularly hoppy the hop smell is what I noticed, maybe some citrus as well.

Taste: The malts are more noticeable than the hops but well balanced. Smooth and a little sweet with some bitterness at the end, maybe grapefruit-like.

Mouthfeel: Again a very smooth drink, not particularly dry. Enjoyed the carbonation which lightens the beer's mouthfeel a little.

Overall: Good overall, not great although in fairness the red/amber ales are not my favorite beer style. Not sure I'd go out of my way to buy these but good overall.

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Head was half a finger, dissipating fairly quickly. Lace remains throughout the drinking of it.

Has a lot of barleywine character to it. Hops over malt flavor profile, fairly standard taste/aroma for a hoppy amber. Citrus and floral notes throughout. Definite alcohol presence.

Gets more interesting as it warms up.

A good beer, but nothing that different from a lot of others I've had.

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

I bought this beer the other day at a local liquor store and was eager to give it a shot since I have a thing for amber (copper) ales. Overall, I thought Lagunitas can do better!

A - Poured beer in glass and got a rich, amber/copper color with a small head that quickly disappeared. Appears to be very much in style with other copper ales.

S - Rich caramel and roast aroma but still somewhat of a typical Lagunitas smell.

T - This is similar to the smell. It has somewhat if a typical Lagunitas taste to it, but still goes into deep caramel malts. Great mals/hop flavor. I don't know where some people bring this IPA thing from, but this beer is definitely not an IPA, not even a darker IPA or whatever they may call it.

M - Smooth feel to it, not very dry and brings out different aromas while drinking it.

D - Well balanced, easy to drink beer. Many BMC drinkers prefer a smooth over a pale ale type beer to open them the world to craft brew. Well..for all these Amber Bock drinkers, this may be just what you are looking for

3.36/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Burnish Copper, with a a light fluffy white head to it.

S- A light hoppy citrous combination.

T- Crispy light malty flavor. The hops are light at first, but the more I drink it the stronger the hops come through with a little bit of alcohol flavor coming through.

M- Nice carbonation and light body to it.

O- A nice wonderful light beer.

3.36/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a golden, clear amber with nice lacing rings on the glass. Smells are sweet, caramel malts, some fruit from the hops in this brew. Tastes balanced. Nice malt/hop ratio. Biscuity and sweet with just enough hop profile. Mouthfeel is also balanced with some carbonation and fullness. Overall, a pretty decent brew. I would buy it again although there are a few other Lagunitas brews I prefer over this one. Cheers.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Look- pours an Amber color with off white head
Smell- caramel and malt.
Taste- more of the same. Caramel, malt and bread. Very sweet
Feel- medium to thick
Overall- good beer. Sweet malts and caramel flavor make for a good amber ale.

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A friend of mine spoke very highly of this beer so when I found it on a trip outside Alabama, I was sure to pick it up. I was not disappointed. This beer is smooth but delivers such a powerful punch for a red ale. No overpowering aftertastes which is great in my book. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Will certainly buy again.

3.76/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a brilliantly clear copper, with about 1/2 inch of off white head that fades quickly to a thin layer that remains on top of the beer.

S: Aroma is light, but with distinct notes of roasted malts.

T: A light note of citrusy hops at the open, followed by sweet and roasty malt notes that linger until the next sip. A well balanced beeer that is pleasant at most any rate of consumption.

M: Carbonation is light, and the feel is a bit thin, especially considering the roasted malts in here.

D: Really a pleasant, sessionable brew. Would have no problem drinking and enjoying several of these.

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Picked up a sixer of this last weekend and shared it with a couple of friends after a local 10K race. I liked it so much initialy, I went back and got a 6-er for myself to conduct a thorough eval. Poured a glorious coppery color into my chalice with about 2 1/2 fingers of fluffy cloud-like head which took several minutes to dissipate, leaving a nice lacing on the glass. Smell was fresh bread/caramel, with a hint of fruity banana. I tried to find some of the 7.7% ABV, but it just wasn't there...Scary! Taste was initially going towards sweet caramel, but the 30 or so I.B.U.'s mellowed the sweetness to a glorious mild bitterness. I must admit, I am a hophead who loves it bitter, but this was a very smooth, drinkable, ever so tastey offering from Lagunitas! Mouthfeel was just right, with a mild carbonation and creamy, buttery smooth finish. Tastes like it would be a great session beer, but the 7.7% is there, so be forewarned. I love Lagunitas!!

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

Scored this one at Murray's Wine & Spirits in Milwaukee.

Poured once again into my Duvel tulip.

A- Did anyone notice this beer is copper in color? A very nice hue. Not much head or lacing.

S- Definately malty and sweet. No bitter hops to the nose.

T- I love the way these Lagunitas Beers taste. There seems to be a constant to all of them that I have tried so far. Full across the tongue.

M- Probably the weakest part of this beer. Very little body, a little watery. A bitter finish that increased as the beer warmed in my glass. I didn't really mind it, I just didn't expect it.

D- I could see having a few of these with my wife, who claimed this as the best tasting sip she's stolen from me in a while.

All in all, another fine product from one of favorite breweries.

ps: my daughter loves the dog

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A nice rusty amber red color with two fingers of head that stuck around for a bit. Looks very nice when held up to the light. Lacing was average.

S - A nice combination of malts and hops with a citrussy background.

T - Average taste. Kind of lacks a real "wow" factor. Sipped like most other average ambers. Looking back, I am comparing it to Nugget Nectar, which dominates this brew.

M - Light and smooth. Decent carbonation.

D - not bad. I would drink again if offered but won't seek out buying this.

Pours out of the bottle a deep almost crimson red color. Barely any aroma of hops only of the caramel and roasted malt. Unlike many other red ales, this beer has little to no bittlerness and is one of the smoothes red ales I have had. Little to almost no lacing. This is a very suttle and gentle palet tasting.

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is one of my favourite go-to, chill beers. It goes down pretty easy and isn't too "in your face". I've split a few with some friends who never drink anything funky, and they quite liked it too. It pours a nice copper colour with some notable hop nose, but you definitely pick up a sweet malt. Low head due to the alcohol, but nice lacing throughout. I actually find it to be one of the most pleasant-smelling beers around and I think if someone made a scented candle that smelled like this one, I'd light it and have a nice relaxing bath with a glass of this in hand. This pairs really well with pub food and is a good, higher gravity beer that should get any parted started. The alcohol is slightly warming and very pleasing.

3.49/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As ambers/reds are my favorite style, I had to give this a try. It's not bad and you can taste the higher alcohol content versus a beer of the same type like Avalanche or Fat Tire, but this beer is wonderful on the palate.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer has a great amber color and is very clear. It has a healthy head, mild aroma, and great initial taste. A solid mouth feel with moderate sweetness and only a hint of hops finishes it nicely. It was much better than other Lagunitas offerings I've tried. I'll definitely have it again.

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a coppery redish color. Small head.

Good balance of hops and malt, smells good and inviting.

Mostly malty with some hop bitterness.

Medium body, average carbonation.

Very easy drinking. Almost a mix between lager and pale ale in character.

It is a good easy drinking quality simple beer. Nothing outstanding but a good beer. I would buy it again if I was in the mood for something with not too much complexity.

3.61/5  rDev -4%

A: Poured into a small goblet (all I had, actually)- one-finger head, ruby-red colour. Very nice!

S: Not as pungent as expected- dry, hoppy, but nothing too unusual or unexpected.

T: Solid tasting- Starts off with a touch of sweetness, actually. Then the hops come into play- they are not overly bitter, but I do like the bite I get. It lingers well, but, again, nothing that really "speaks" to me as particularly unique.

M: A little thinner than I would have expected or liked, but can't complain.

O: Solid, drinkable everyday beer. This is actually the first Lagunitas I've had, and I think I'll return to the brewery.

TG

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured: Pint Glass

Appearance: Deep amber. Minimum head w/ slight retention.

Smell: Sweet, fruity aroma

Taste: Toasty w/ caramel notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium/high carbonation.

Drinkability: Balance very much leans towards malts. Hop character is very much subdued, so low hop bitterness. A little bit more sweet than other ambers/reds. Finish is roasty. Overall, if you like sweet and low bitter beers, this is a 'sweet' selection!

4.21/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Clear, dark copper, with quickly dissolving head.

Smell: Strong malts and caramel, maybe some slight hops aroma.

Taste: Malty sweet, slightly buttery flavor. The alcohol taste is hidden well.

Mouth: Medium body, slightly oily. Good, but not overly carbonated.

Overall: I'd call this a session beer, but with pretty balanced taste. A good beer, that I'd be happy to entertain again, but not something truly remarkable.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a frozen mug- about a finger of pale head that fades quickly.

Nice, rich caramel color in the glass with a sweet smell. I felt like I was tasting fruit but noticed a review that said maple syrup and that may be the sweetness I was picking up.

Lightly carbonated. Smooth, sweet taste

This would be a good morning starter or afternoon brew but I don't think I could go it all day. I am enjoying it on the deck with a cigar and it is perfect for this mild day.

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear copper with a thick white head. Smell is amber malt, very clean. Taste is hoppy, slightly sweet. The feel is well suited for this beer. I continue to come back to the Lagunitas core lineup when I need a break from beer exploration, never disappointing

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Apearance: Get this-a nice deep copper color. Minimal lacing with a decent head.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma

Taste: Heavy on the malt flavor, but not overpowering. Hops are there but do not stand out.

Mouthfeel: Low to medium on the carbonation. Avery smooth drink for an ale.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink.

Overall a good beer if you crave some malty goodness-but not a malt bomb.

3.36/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a nice amber, copper color with a one finger creamy white head. Great lacing left behind as the head falls back into the beer.

Smells of carmel malt and light citrus hops. I was expecting a bigger aroma from a beer also known as the Kronic.

Nice balance. Starts with a subtle hop bitterness followed by a nice matly sweetness. Citrus hoppiness re-enters the taste in the end ever so slight and ends dry. It seems to be lacking some punch as it flirts with a big flavor explosion but never really follows through. Maybe the name is deceiving but I was expecting something a little bigger.

Overall, a nice balanced brew and different offering from Lagunitas. Good session beer in my opinion. More flavors and character reveal itself the more I drink. Time to grab another one. Cheers!

2.53/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance - this was a very appealing beer from the bottle to the glass. It had a nice thickness and looked rich and full bodied.

Smell - I wasn't sure what to expect based on the name, but it did possess a ice aroma as the anticipation built!

Taste - I must say, "What a disappointment!" The flavor was not there, so I tried again. Still, the flavor lacked fullness and body and I could not find the expectations I had for this brew.

Mouthfeel - I was expecting a deep bodied, full flavored beer and was greatly disappointed.

Overall - Granted, I didn't know what to expect, but that's usually when I'm most excited by a new beer; this one did not deliver!

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This became one of my go to's for the last few months while the store across the street from my house had it. just pulling the last out of the fridge. It has a nice hop load with out making you feel like you just cut the grass. I found it tastiest at winter time room temp (in my apartment that's around 65) Right out of the fridge it doesn't have as much character as some of the other lagunitas offerings. I found myself turning on Hulu and forgetting I was drinking a beer... but then somewhere between warm and hot it really shines. It's actually kinda nice when the second half of your beer is better than the first. (like when you spend too much time typing and not enough time drinking! wait for it.... yep tastes great!)

will drink again when it comes back...

Censored from Lagunitas Brewing Company