Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

ABV varies slightly from 9.0 to 9.8
66.6 IBU

Added by GilGarp on 03-10-2009

Reviews: 1,028 | Ratings: 4,331

A- Deep Orange slight haze with a foamy head and lacing all over the pint glass
Just pouring from the bottle had me salivating for this brew

S- Smells like what you expect heaven to look like ( just picture it)... Definitely can smell a pine needles to the face, downhill snowboarding, balls to the wall snow all over the place winter smell

T- My oh My!!! I am not sure what Lagunitas categorizes this as, but it tastes like a DIPA, to me! The hop forward profile slams the tongue with bitterness that leaves me wanting to chug this beast and take the next and keep chugging. God it's good

M- Hops Hops Hops, nice carbonation just enough on the tounge to keep you twitching, just want an endless supply.

O- Hands down, the most impressed I have ever been of any beer I've ever had!!!

Smells like sweet berries and almost marijuana like hop profile. Nice slight hop bite up front followed by an intense sweet berry flavor that is thick and rich from the mouthfeel. A lingering piney bitterness is on the aftertaste as well. Wow, how can anyone who likes strong ales not rate this a perfect a beer? I really couldn't ask for more. Lagunitas does it again.

Great beer. An inch or more head in the beer. Very very smooth, great color and amazing smell. The after taste is a little buttery but overall one of the top 5 beers I've ever had. Only bad thing about this beer is that it's limited release I say year round! Cheers!

Pours a luscious multi-finger thick tan head which dissipates slowly until it has a jagged, rocky top. Resembles a root beer float--thick and creamy! Head stays like a ice burg.

Dark cigar brown in color, oxidized copper in the light with tiny effervescent bubbles and visible floating sediment.

Wow!! Complex! Nutmeg, dried orange peels, cloves, hints of molasses, candied fruit, bourbon oak barrels, pine tar, soy sauce and a dusting of yeast.

Wow, again!! Extremely smooth throughout, buttery mouth feel. Like Heaven!

Mellow hops up front and even through the whole experience. Flavors of dark dried fruits like prunes, barley wine sweetness, luscious with a caramelized tone. Starts like a fine English ale, but never gets there, maltiness comes in later and the two unite in hop and malt matrimony. A perfect harmony of blend, the malt finishing in the end where the hops started. Hint of spice in the finish.

If I would ever want a last beer before I was executed, this would be it! Even more fragrant when you swirl and tip the sediment. You couldn't get a more perfect marriage of malt and hops in such a pleasant medium. Above and beyond! Would never be able to tell it was 9%+ it's smoothness.

A world class beer!

Delicious Brew for sure. Strong floral hop bouquet. I am drinking this along with the Hairy Eyeballs, and in comparison it is slightly less malty and slightly more hoppy. Both have a remarkably smooth and drinkable quality, yet an abundance of flavor. Nice goin Lagunitas.

AAA+

This beer get's nothing but 5's across the board from me.

Pours a deep brass color with a khaki three finger head that leaves an intricate web of lacing all the way down the sides of the glass.

The smell is perfect. Pink grapefruits, lemon rind, oranges, pineapples, freshly baked bread, caramel and pine needles.

Nothing short of perfection taste wise. Rich caramelly, malty, creamy goodness amongst a backdrop bitter, juicy, zesty tropical hops and pine resin. Finishes with an orange sherbert, sort of vanilla wafer aftertaste.

Tame, yet effervescent, crisp and clean mouthfeel. Medium body.

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

A: A bronze colored pour with about 1-2 fingers of head

S: A nice hoppy smell with a bit of fruitiness

T: A nice strong punch of hops

M: Mild carbonation, relatively smooth, with a little alcohol feel in the finish

D: One of my favorites. I will miss it until next year as I think i have depleted all of my local supplies. I have purchased at least 20 six packs of this, although much has been shared with friends. A really great beer to sit down and drink 2-3 while watching my favorite sporting event on television

4.96/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured this beer in a pint glass. Dark Copper color almost reddish. smells hoppish and the taste is irresistable as i i have known from the other two from this brewery. Goes down smooth for its abv and ibu and o.g. cant say enough about this beer worth trying. another 2 thumbs up

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

In a plastic cup at mad max fury road screening. Excellent beer to match the movie. Chewy sweet taste, lots of hops. Fruity taste from hops and body, alcohol is there but mostly hidden. Lots of complexity.

Had again later in the bottle and the fruitiness was actually more resinous and piny. The body didn't seem as thick either. Still tasted great.

4.94/5  rDev +22.9%

This is my first review ever. I have had 100s of craft beers, but am truely inspired by this beer, so am writing a review.

A - Suprisingly amber for a strong ale, with almost a hint of orange. Head - a little weak for this type of beer, and not enough lacing. Crystal clear.

S - The overall bouquet is strong, considering the clarity of the appearance, and lack of head. I was instantly struck by a maltiness, but was soon overcome by citrusy hops reminiscent of an IPA. There were also lingering notes of pine.

T - In classic Lagunitas style, hops dominate the taste. Especially with that classic citrus ping in the back of my mouth. However, this time, there is a nice sugary carmel in the front. Nothing that lingers in a sticky way, but a clean sweetness up front which contrasts nicely with the bitterness on the sides of the tongue.

M - The big shock of this beer...CRISP!!! Can't believe this is an American Strong Ale. I could easily take this out in the sun on a hot summer day. Though there is a definate body here, it is light through the palate and...see below...

D - Devilishly easy to drink. Perfect balance has no potential for "overkill" in any area. Lagunitas has crafted one of there most balanced and drinkable brews yet!

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured into becker. Golden-orange, the color of honey, with a moderately thick white head made of dense foam with visible carbonation rising. Smells similar to Sucks, but with less of the spicy/pungent hops; this smells like mango and pineapple, with the herbal pungent hop scent only ghosting in at the end. Taste is smooth at first, but quite bitter in the mouth, but the bitterness is washed away by the sweet finish upon swallowing. Then, the bitter aftertaste lingers, begging you to take another sip. This is a complex and incredibly well-balanced beer. The interplay between the flavors is amazing. The mouthfeel is medium, but slick.

4.9/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas makes several really fine beers, and Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale is one of their best. UISDA has a high (9.3%) alcohol content, but the flavor of this beer, with pine and citrus notes exploding on your tongue, overwhelms the alcohol content, making it ideal for a warm summer evening.

4.89/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

You know, I always forget how great this beer is since us seasonal. Man, dies it just hit the spot! Sweet IPA. Mmmmm. Perfect beer to eat with. Great mouth feel. Amazing smell. Fruity and dank, citrus. No slouch at 9.6anv either. It creeps up. Let me tell ya.

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

One of, if not the best beer I have had in the past 6 months. I have nothing bad to say about it. Also great with food (I had it with some steak). The story behind it is what got my attention and I knew I had to try it. The taste is not too hoppy, but its presence is definitely there. Color is a rich amber red, with a good frothy head. Please try this beer, its worth it!

4.88/5  rDev +21.4%

This is one of my top 5 special releases of the season. Beautiful golden-red color. Good nose-not overly fruity; just wonderful ( I wish they made hops air freshener!) Let it get nice and warm as the flavor comes out so much better. Just the right balance of hops and malt to make it a great sipper. Alcohol is well hidden if cold, but when you let it warm you will feel it bite your tongue a bit. Beware, have only one or you'll need a lawyer for your DUI. My favorite ale-bar none. Question for Lagunitas: Why am I just getting this in late July when it was released in April?

4.84/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Got a large growler. Pours copper into a dogfish glass with a big creamy head. I have had several Belgian iPAs recently and while I do not think this is a Belgian yeast strain they have balanced well a malty 10 ABV with some California
hoppiness. This seems to me also a fairly food friendly selection . Lagunitas does a great job of crafting great beer at a reasonable privacy point. As I drink this my pool game seems to also be improving! Cheers

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

F*ck You.. this beer is good. real good. no beer snob here. Just a hardcore IPA head. This one was legendary in status. Longest lingering aftertaste of all time and it was lavender.. silky smooth..
Sweet, mighty tasty DIPA. Better than Maximus. Closest in taste and quality of Double Jack by Firestone..

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

A: Pours a dark brownish red color. 1/2" white head moderately gives way to a thin white ring. Nice lacing.

S: I don't want to do this right now.

T: Malty base. Citrus hops jump in. Then they jump in again. Barely any bitterness at the end. Followed up with a very sweet grape taste. I was doing double takes. I really feel like this one has taken me somewhere I've never been before.

M: Like a Double IPA. Bold to heavy.

D: This is so smooth. I don't reccomend making a night of it. But do it anyway.

S: Ok. I'm ready. This is the most inticing beer that I have ever smelled. I am not going to try to explain it. Just smell it. I was so taken by the smell, I actually inhaled some.

I think that this may be my favorite beer to date. It was given to me by my daughters boyfriend. I was not expecting to even have a beer tonight. Lagunitus keeps one-uping themselves. This is a beer that other brewers mighjt have taken too far. Lagunitus has found the proper balance.

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

After a recommendation from Rob at my local brew store I grabbed a sic pack of this Imperial. Wow, I own him a beer. This beer is the perfect summer Imperial IPA, maintaining the bite of an Imperial but still maintains a very crisp taste that goes down easy in the humid heat of the south.

I'm sad to see this beer as a "special release".

4.79/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured dark amber/honey colored into a tulip glass with a thick foamy head and moderate lacing on the side of the glass. Strong citrus and slightly piney odor. Citrusy malty flavor at the beginning, followed by a slight piney hoppy finish. It leaves slight hoppy aftertaste but not much. It goes down very smooth and hides the alcohol content very well. Very well balanced beer. Very good. Be careful because it is definitely not a session beer.

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. Bottle poured into a Dogfish head signature glass. This is one beasty brew: O.G 1.085 9.6% abv.66.6 ibu.

Cross colors of golden amber. Substantial, thick foam cap with very slow dissipation. Thereis a constant, thin layer throughout the duration with a bit of long, stick lacing.

The nose is huge and very complex. A caramel-sweet malt, peppery and tangy scented yeast with a big pine and spicy hop. Smells very much like a funky Belgian yeast and the hops.....the hops smell amazing, lots of hetbs and spices but also tangy and citric. Later on, as the brew warms slightly (after all, this is a sipper) Big tropical fruity hop aroma's become very bold indeed.

The flavor is even more complex and impressive. The first thing I notice is a Zippy, earthy bite, herbal spice, sharp yeast, dry-leafy finish from the hops. The malt is much less sweet than the aroma would lead you to believe. The malt is very tasty, but not as 'big' as I had expected, providing a balance with some crisp sweetness for the intense hops. The hop flavor is multi-layered and very deep; with Rustic, earthy, spicy, herbal, dry-leafy and pine flavor's. The hops blend with a unique and fun yeast that seems to provide a certain Belgian-like sour edged funk.

The mouthfeel is certainly full with malty slickness but also with plenty of dry, earthy, semi-bitter, sharp edges. A crisp bite, but in a big, heavy way.

There is some big alcohol vibes but the heat is well hidden and works with the multitude of ingredients and complexity of flavor.

I love a beer that tows the line between extreme and well balanced! The flavor spectrum is much to my liking and has many unique charecteristics that I really dig. Defying style and pushing limits but managing to keep it all in-check is a beautiful work of alchemy. Work of art.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear copper color with a two finger head and very nice lacing.

S: Lots of pine and citrus hops along with some sweet malts. Very inviting nose.

T: Not quite as hop heavy as the nose suggests, but still very appealing to a hop head like myself. There is an excellent malt balance to complement the hop profile. Alcohol is not noticeable at all.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

O: This is an almost perfect example of what an American Strong Ale can be. Super tasty, very smooth, and plenty of alcohol with almost none detectable. Well done Lagunitas!!

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

From the moment you pour this beer, you know it's going to be a bit different. The amber color, the off-white creamy/thick head, the sweet yet hoppy nose... And then the taste! It's not at all like an IPA in my opinion, no way - IPAs smack your taste buds with piney resin flavors and bitterness and this is sweet. Malty, mellow sweetness with a touch of hops and alcohol to balance it out. To me, this beer is THE perfect balance of malt, hop and alcohol. I could drink a lot of these (if I could only get my hands on more of 'em).

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at the Pig & fiddle.
L: Pours brilliant garnet tinted amber under a 1” white foam cap that provides light lace.
S: Citrus, spice, malt. T: Spicy with a cola sweetness that dries out on the finish. Moderate hop bitterness is rounded and not harsh.
F: Medium to medium full body and medium to medium low carbonation. Silky smooth.
O: An easy to drink beer at a good price.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

A: It has a great dark copper color, with lots of visible carbonation. It's brilliantly transparent, and has a long-standing eggshell white head. There is nothing bad to say about it.

S: Lots of hop character. I get a strong resinous scent of hops, with a tad of citrus character. There is a slight malty scent as well, but not strong. Once again, out of the ballpark...perfect scent.

T: Lots of hop character, but not overly bitter. Extremely well balanced character between the hops and malt flavor. I'm drinking this on the East Coast, and I've had it refrigerated for at least a month or so...so it could just be that it has had a lot of time to age. Lots of pine character, with very light citrus. It's near perfect. Zero alcohol flavor, despite the high ABV.

M: The mouthfeel is great. It's not too bitter or punchy, but it has enough zing to let you know it's still there. Great feeling while drinking it though...I hardly noticed that half a glass was gone. It's a very easy drinker, and near perfect.

O: Overall I gave this a 5, because this is a great tasting beer. I was very surprised at how good it is. I bought it only because of the cool story behind it, not realizing how good of a beer it could potentially be. I really enjoyed this one!

Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company