Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 4,372 |  Reviews: 1,038

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours an amber color with a medium head that leaves nice lacing. Good head retention.

Smell: Huge candy aroma along with alcohol (this smells like 9+% if not more), caramel, and orange. There's a lot going on, but the aromas don't work well together.

Taste: Again, there's a lot of flavors, but they don't blend well. This tastes way too sweet while being moderately bitter, and the alcohol seeps through. I find that oftentimes strong ales will be very sweet so as to cover up the alcohol, but this doesn't happen here. There's some fruit and brown sugar going on.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, thick, and slightly undercarbonated. This doesn't make things any better.

Overall: I absolutely appreciate the effort to make a unique beer (that's why I seek out craft beers in the first place), but this really is tough to drink given the out of control sweetness. There are some good flavors here too, but the alcohol and candy flavors just squash everything for me.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hadn't seen this one, but if it's from Lagunitas I'll give it a go. Poured into a pint-sized wide mouth Ball jar.

A: A clear, dark red with a billowy, cream-colored head. The lacing is extra sticky.

S: I get a lot of sweetness (i.e. caramel, brown sugar) with a hint of grassy hops.

T: I don't know if I've had anything like this; a 'sweet' IPA. Not citrusy sweet, but sugary. Good hops (spice/pine) backbone, and a warming sensation of 9.7% ABV.

M: I'd vote medium to oily, but that's to be expected with so much booze.

D: Max would be two. I would compare it to eating more than one bowl of ice cream; too much sweetness can cause damage...

3.5/5  rDev -14%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Raising my score from last year (4.17) on tap at Coopers Tavern for MCNW2015.
------
I totally don't know what to make of this beer. I couldn't stand it the first time I tried it, on tap at the great SF beer bar, Monk's Kettle. Now it's a nice looking, clear, brownish amber into a tulip glass with a huge bright white head and great retention.

The aroma brings a tinny tartness, laying over some sweet malt . . .

In the mouth it's sweet and quite bitter, at once. But it's a strange, tart bitterness. I can't stop thinking of iodine and tin can. There's a sweetness that many reviews call "brown sugar", but I can't go with that descriptor. It's not caramel, either. It's some kind of sweet, exotic fruit, if anything. And that indefinable bitterness continues to haunt me. I think I like this! (But I'm not sure...)

Fairly stiff carbonation cuts the creamy texture perfectly.

I think I"ll buy this again. Got this out of the singles cooler, hoping to put the question to rest. Ha! It wasn't for lack of effort on my part.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper color with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing as the beer was drank.

Smell: Super nice floral citrus and pine aroma followed by caramel, chocolate, toasted malts, and a little booze.

Taste: Resiny pine, grapefruit, tangerine, herbal, caramel, toasted, bitter chocolate, and a little booze.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth, medium bodied, a little booze, and mild tingly bitterness.

Overall: I look forward to this beer every year. Delicious stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured this into a Samuel Smith Imperial Nonic. The crystal clear amber body gives up a creamy off white head that begs to be devoured.
The aroma has a powerful orange angle to it, coupled with a burnt sugar creme brulee sweetness that's absolutely mouthwatering.
The taste brings along a lot of tangy citrus, earthy tobacco, brown sugar sweetness, all topped off with a cutthroat bitterness that make me wonder why the beer is called a "strong ale" and not a DIPA.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a juicy aftertaste.
Overall, this is a masterpiece of a beer. The brew wizards and geniuses at Lagunitas struck gold with this one.

Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company