Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Added by GilGarp on 03-10-2009

Ratings: 4,367 |  Reviews: 1,035

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter at cellar temperature.

Ah, one of my favorite beer colorations. A dark, reddish amber that's pretty cloudy. A puffy, two-finger off-white head which leaves behind intricate lacing. Beautiful indeed.

The scent is thick with hops. My nose was smacked with hops the moment I removed the cap. A tangy citrus smell and caramely maltiness draw me in even more.

As I take a sip, I taste lots of hop flavor, but quite sedated bitterness. It seems much more on the sweeter side to me, and almost like I'm drinking some sort of tropical fruit juice! BUT, then it happens: resiny hoppy bitterness pervades in the finish, like with most hoppy Lagunitas ales. Also, call me crazy, but somewhere in the taste, I get a sort of sweet doughiness after drinking it for a while.

I'd say it's medium-bodied with pretty understated carbonation. I wouldn't have minded a bit more carbonation, but it's not a big gripe at all.

This one is sweet at first, but it's a trick! Wait a while after a sip and be bamboozled by bitterness.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%